Ways to choose?

Which sould I use it Monopoly, to roll and do all else?

• A Dialog Box (What I am using Now)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Type in the text (-roll)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • An insivable unit that has them as it abilites (so you click an icon)

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (please tell me how in a post)

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Surferkid993

God surferkid993 = new God(awesome.me);
Reaction score
Im working on Monopoly and I was wondering what you all thought would be a good way to roll, trade, upgrade... So I right now am using a dialog box, but I was wonder what you would use.

Mr Zero

Junior Regular (Got the T-shirt)
Reaction score
Yeah use dialog boxes... If you used commands it could get messy. Or a multiboard? (I think there is a thread about it)

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> a good way to roll

Some unique "controller" unit that is given to you when it's your turn, with a couple abilities (well, buttons to click).

For example a "roll" button. When clicked, it shoots Cluster Rockets at a random spot, not too far. On impact, little numbers pop up... that's what you "rolled".

Doesn't change much on the fact that you aren't really rolling any dice,
but, at least, it give a feel of activity.
And adds a bit of color too.

Surferkid993

Reaction score
For example a "roll" button. When clicked, it shoots Cluster Rockets at a random spot, not too far. On impact, little numbers pop up... that's what you "rolled".

I like that one AceHart.

I

iNsaNe

AceHart said:

Create 6 Regions (1 - 6 on a dice)
Set Roll[1] = Roll1 <gen>
Set Roll[2] = Roll2 <gen>
Set Roll[6] = Roll6 <gen>

Set RollNumber = Random number between 1 and 6
Set ClusterPoint = Center of (Roll[RollNumber])
Unit - Order <Cluster Rocketer :p) to Cluster Rocket at ClusterPoint
Floating Text - Create floating text named Rollnumber at Clusterpoint

blah, something like that :D

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Just give one unit numerous dummy spells such as Roll, Trade, etc. Then when they cast the spells, carry out the actions. Heck, if you get models like the thimble and the boat, you can give them those spells, and freeze the units when it's not their turn.

EDIT: Err, Ace said that :rolleyes: .

G

Goauld

I'm the first to actually vote?

Dialogs get in the way and you can't move the camera when you have a dialog up. AceHart's suggestion is the best. An invisible unit would be stupid because it can be located by clicking on its portrait.

UnknowVector

I come from the net ... My format, Vector.
Reaction score
Vote for AceHart's way, thats sexibus.

For upgradeing you could have little peasants run up and drive in a crane and build the hotel, house w.e

For buying proerty you could just use a bunch of bounty appear sfxs.

Surferkid993

Reaction score
Well ofcourse everyone likes AceHart's idea he's practicly god. But I am confused on how the dice roll would work. Also Peasents diving into a crane and building a house would not be very easy, but would kickass. The bounty effects are good and easy. Also :confused: are you all saying that I should use a unit that has abilities, and these abilities cause these things to happen, I'm very confused beceause most people are just telling me what to use as effects that happen after you choose what to do.

If you are saying to use a unit what should I use this unit as, I was thinking Dice.

M

Mini-Me

Use the unit as a player who has different abilities. Like 'roll the dice', move, build a house, build a hotel, buy the area which the unit is in. The unit is like a real player in monopoly, and it can do everything a real player can do, with abilities.

Surferkid993

Reaction score
Well I would do that, but The way my map is set up I can't. See I could have a unit in the center of the board that has abilities, blah blah... that do those things, but to have one move along like a normal player. (Tell me if I misunderstood you) But it would throw off how I do things. Each space is a region and when a unit enters a region then it does junk, if two units entered the region it would throw things off.

M

Mythic Fr0st

Hmm

Dunno if anyones said this yet, but it kinda popped in my head? but perhaps a dice, (for rolling) that changes owner each round that's finished...

so its a unit, that looks like a dice, and you can click "roll" on it, perhaps shake the unit, (lolz) then display text "Player name" + You have rolled x?
just a thought lol sort of like aceharts I think

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
The unit with those control buttons doesn't really need to move.
Actually, I guess it shouldn't even move at all.
Just move it by triggers if needed, and give it to the player with the current turn.
Or fixed in the center.
As "Worker" for example, so you get a selection button bottom left.

Whatever works though.

But, I think abilities with decent tooltips always beat dialogs.
And a spell book if you need "a lot".

Tonks

Reaction score
How about a unit in the middle, like ace suggested, that fires rockets or arrows to where they're supposed to move, but also when you buy a house, it fires a house projectile to the square.. mostly for looks. And fire a bounty thing when they buy it. Have the unit change ownership every turn, and just have those things as abilities?

Surferkid993

Reaction score
AceHart said:
The unit with those control buttons doesn't really need to move.
Actually, I guess it shouldn't even move at all.
Just move it by triggers if needed, and give it to the player with the current turn.
Or fixed in the center.
As "Worker" for example, so you get a selection button bottom left.

That is almost exactly what I was thinking in my head. The worker thing is a good touch so its icon apears in the corner of your screen. I was thinking about making it a model of dice, if anyone could make that it would help, as the unit.

However, A problem I run into while doing this is: I can't base all of these new abilities off of the same ability or they all want to happen when I click one. Then I run out of abilites to base things on beceause not many abilities are clickable and don't make you choose a target. So if anyone can tell me how to get around this I will use that way.

Tonks

Reaction score
As for the Dice model, I'd think it would be fairly simple. Take the model from Extras - Cube and make it white with 1-6 black dots on the sides.

Surferkid993

Reaction score
Good Idea, but the easiest way of doing that and the only way I could do that is to take the skin of it using the image extractor and changing it to look like a die and that perticular skin, I almost positive is one side that is repeated on the others, so I would have a die that has ones on each side or whatever. :(

Tonks

Reaction score
Ah..
Well, how about you flash an image of a pair of die on the screen whenever someone rolls? Just to add a bit of interest.

Surferkid993

Reaction score
Ya thats probobly what I will do if I can't find someone who has a 3D image model thingy that will help out and make a die.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.