Wc3 world editor replacing dying unit

Gamewolf3000

Reaction score
Hi. first of all this is my first time posting here so if this question is placed in the wrong section or anything then just move it.

here is the deal, i have been working on this death knighr inspired map and now i want to make an ability which infects them and if they die while infected they shall be replace by a zombie. i based the ability on acid bomb which will damage the unit and then i tried to make a trigger.

the trigger was

Scourge blast
Events
Unit - A unit Dies
Conditions
((Dying unit) has buff Scourge aura ) Equal to True
Actions
Unit - Replace (Dying unit) with a Zombie using The new unit's max life and mana

but it doesn't work. i hope somebody can help me with this problem cause i am pretty stuck.

Bogrim

y hello thar
Reaction score
As DioD said, a unit loses all of its buffs once it dies. If you wish to use a buff on a dying unit, use a damage event to detect when a killing blow is dealt (GDD damage > triggering unit's health) and run a 0.00 seconds timer, checking if the unit died from the damage once the timer expires. Then you can create your zombie.

If that's too complicated for you, then just add the units affected by the spell to a unit group and check if they're in the group when they die.

DioD

Reaction score
its black arrow for this, also you may try spawn hydra and similar skills.

Gamewolf3000

Reaction score
ok... this became really confusing. lets take it from the beggining. scrap my trigger is there any way that i can create or replace a unit with another when it has this special buff and dies, it don't have to die it could have 1 hp left that doesn't matter to me.

it could work in some other way too if you have any idea. the idea with the spell is just that if a unit is killed while under the effect of the spell it will become a zombie under the control of the one that cast the spell.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
black arrow of the dark ranger? its a build in standard ability of wc3 the frozen throne.

otherwise, parasite of the naga siren does this as well, is auto-cast though.

doom would have the same effect but if i remember correctly it has some other side effects like silence and damage over time, not sure if these can be removed.

Bogrim

y hello thar
Reaction score
ok... this became really confusing. lets take it from the beggining.
A Damage Event* is a Specific Unit Event* that detects when a unit takes damage from any attack or spell. Normally, you can't use this event for Generic Unit Events*, but the link I posted is a system made by Weep that allows you to import a custom damage event that works as a generic event.

How is this event helpful to your trigger?

The damage event happens before the damage is taken. That means you can check for a buff before the unit dies. A unit will die when the amount of damage exceeds its remaining health, so as conditions you will want:

1. Check if the unit taking damage has the buff.
2. Check if the unit has less health than the damage taken.

Then by running a 0.00 seconds timer, you will get a second trigger that happens instantly after the damage has taken place. You can then check again and see if the unit was killed from the damage, and then create a zombie at its corpse.

* A damage event is an event that triggers when a unit takes damage from a hostile action.
* A specific unit event is an event which can only be used for single units, such as pre-placed units in a quest.
* A generic unit event is an event which works for any unit.

Medeam

Reaction score
Is this close to what your looking for?

Still testing value's with the unit takes damage event to try to trick the editor (unit dies event).

Attachments

• MaybeThisHelps.w3x
    17.1 KB · Views: 194
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.