WEU - risky or safe...

Cilla

is watching you! Ahh, fresh meat!
Reaction score
I sometimes 'hear' people saying that WEU ripped their map.

Maybe i can collect some comments of you. Thanks.

I really would like to use WEU because of these extra features but i wonder if i end up with a whatever affected map.

Doom-Angel

Jass User (Just started using NewGen)
Reaction score
well if u make backups for ur map im sure no bad can be caused those ppl who cry for their map are those who didn't backup their map (i got 4 backups :p)

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> because of these extra features

Do it yourself.
The only thing of use is the "no limits" part, should you need it.

WEU doesn't corrupt any more or less maps than the normal editor already does.
Forget the stories. They qualify, at best, as urban legends.

S

Sunny_D

the bad thing with WEU is that many of its features are only available if you accept a pretty much larger filesize. but the basic advanced triggers and trigger plugins are pretty powerful if you cant do them yourself with JASS.

in cases of corrupting maps, i hear always that WEU is the devil on earth and uses every chance to corrupt a map - i havent had a problem yet, and i have been using WEU pretty for a long time now...

in the end it are the backups that save your day - with or without WEU.

also consider that once you use WEU functions, it isnt openable with WE anymore withou error messages.

to sum it up: i can recommend it.

Leo

Reaction score
Might there also be a risk for compatibility problems with your map as new patches are released for WC and WEU isn't updated as often.

Cilla

Reaction score
Hm I need the no limits for doodads etc.
Btw does anyone know how to make these 90° cliffs in WE?

Thanks for the comments ;) switching to WEU now.

(I have no backup problems, quite the contrary^^)

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
First of all you need to realize that everything WEU does can be done with the normal WE as well.
Now as for this map corruption...
In most cases it's the dumb (sorry, had to say it) users' fault. No offence to the exeptions. Same goes for map protection. They protect their map and soon enough a thread comes up "OMG I protected my map and now I can't open it!!"...
WEU has many interesting features, but some of them can really be dangerous (that might not be the right word; they will do exactly what you asked them to anyway) for your map if you don't read the warnings and all. However usually these things are reversable so you should have anything to worry about.
The real map corruption, editor failing to save the map from some reason, has the same chance of happening in WEU as with normal WE. However I must warn you that these things, from what I read around here, not as rare as most people think. If you don't have a backup it might just happen that one day you try to load and figure out that everything you worked on is gone...
[size=+2]Conclusion: always keep a fresh backup.[/size]
Do so and you have absolutely nothing to worry about...in worst case you will lose an hour of mapping or so.

Anyway which extra features are you referring to here?

Edit: wow, I'm slow...4 posts came up while I was typing.
If you only need the no-limits part there are other, safer way to remove limits. Namely Grimoire or We-No-Limits (both found in the Useful tools topic).

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Useful tools topic <- good thing to check out.

Cilla

Reaction score
explained in the tool section^^

Edit: far to late..

S

Sunny_D

Btw does anyone know how to make these 90° cliffs in WE?

check out this tutorial. you have to download the attached misc-data-file. then you can do much more steep cliffs.

http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32561

You might have noticed the straight cliff in the picture above. You can make straighter cliffs than the World Editor normally allows you with the miscdata.txt file.
Therefore you have to create a new folder called "UI" inside your Warcraft III folder. And then save the miscdata.txt in that folder. You don't need to import it into your map! (The file is attached at the bottom of this post.)

Anachron

Reaction score
WEU = A editor which adds 140 own units , over 120 own abilities , own items and so on. For those extra features you should learn jass instead using that dumb programm.Sorry but I just had problems with that programm -.-

Cilla

Reaction score
I now switched to WEU.

This prog got some strange touches but it works.
(Backups ftw!)

Thakns for the link

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Arg, AceHart you lies. WEU ruined my map, and always gave me troubles with crashing with certain units, removing some data (I open up my map and find lost progress, even though I save everytime I test, every so often, and I test often, and when I close it of course). Do NOT use WEU, it is completely useless except for showing "hidden icons" and "hidden units" which no one uses anyways. And you can find a list of them too.

S

Sunny_D

ever considered that you had a corrupted installation file or something?

anyway, i have heard a similar amount of such complaints for the normal WE as well, so... ;)

Master

Thou shall be helped by...The Black Adder!
Reaction score
Arg, AceHart you lies. WEU ruined my map, and always gave me troubles with crashing with certain units, removing some data (I open up my map and find lost progress, even though I save everytime I test, every so often, and I test often, and when I close it of course). Do NOT use WEU, it is completely useless except for showing "hidden icons" and "hidden units" which no one uses anyways. And you can find a list of them too.
WEU can be harsh if you don't be careful. All new things that come in one's hands may be. Please do not be rude with others' opinions, even more if you talk like this to the staff :)

First of all you need to realize that everything WEU does can be done with the normal WE as well.
Now as for this map corruption...
In most cases it's the dumb (sorry, had to say it) users' fault. No offence to the exeptions. Same goes for map protection. They protect their map and soon enough a thread comes up "OMG I protected my map and now I can't open it!!"...
WEU has many interesting features, but some of them can really be dangerous (that might not be the right word; they will do exactly what you asked them to anyway) for your map if you don't read the warnings and all. However usually these things are reversable so you should have anything to worry about.
The real map corruption, editor failing to save the map from some reason, has the same chance of happening in WEU as with normal WE. However I must warn you that these things, from what I read around here, not as rare as most people think. If you don't have a backup it might just happen that one day you try to load and figure out that everything you worked on is gone...
Conclusion: always keep a fresh backup.
Do so and you have absolutely nothing to worry about...in worst case you will lose an hour of mapping or so.

Anyway which extra features are you referring to here?

Edit: wow, I'm slow...4 posts came up while I was typing.
If you only need the no-limits part there are other, safer way to remove limits. Namely Grimoire or We-No-Limits (both found in the Useful tools topic).
SFilip in this post pretty much covers the topic, so no reason to go on, I agree.

Jirinal

Reaction score
Weu did something awful to my beta project, after i opened the map one day with weu there was NO single unit everything was deleted. Even the trigger was all messed up. Then i tried to test it on a different map, but it shows me the same.
Ofcourse i have a second copy of it, but whats up with that? I used weu since years and now that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +1
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.