What are Build Targets?

Embrace_It

Reaction score
Could someone explain what "build targets" are? This is in relation to the CodeBlocks IDE. I have a feeling that my lack of understanding this, is what makes some of my projects not compile properly (currently a game framework using C++ and SDL).

There are two of them from the start when you create a new console project:

Code:
Debug
Release

Thanks!

EDIT: My wondering how many people here actually use CodeBlocks? Maybe it would be easier to start off by changing to a more beginner-friendly IDE?

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
I use Visual Studio (Visual C++)
Well, Build Targets are the output folder of the built project.

For example, in Visual Studio, it builds by default to "../bin/Debug" or "../bin/Release", so that's where the built application is placed.

Embrace_It

Reaction score
Is Visual C++ free? :p

Well, Build Targets are the output folder of the built project.

For example, in Visual Studio, it builds by default to "../bin/Debug" or "../bin/Release", so that's where the built application is placed.

So that's what they do!

Well, I'll have to look into it. Atm my project suddenly can't find files it could before, and the executable shuts down immediately after it was executed :eek:

Thanks for your help and advice! :thup: +rep

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
> Is Visual C++ free?

Yep, it is completely free (The Express Edition atleast, not the Visual Studio or Team Editions), you can get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/ <-- scroll down to Visual C++ Express Edition

> executable shuts down immediately after it was executed

This can be avoided in Visual C++, too. :)

Embrace_It

Reaction score
Man, I think I'll try it out this weekend then. I'm having trouble with CodeBlocks and since there doesn't appear to be that much help/guidance etc. online for that IDE, it'll be nice switching to something where there is.

codemonkey

Code monkey not crazy, just proud.
Reaction score
Most notably Visual C++ lacks support for non-Windows operating systems. Code::Blocks is compatible with Linux, Mac and Windows.

Embrace_It

Reaction score
Most notably Visual C++ lacks support for non-Windows operating systems. Code::Blocks is compatible with Linux, Mac and Windows.

Even so, this is not an IDE-noob's concern, but I'll probably go back to Code::Blocks when I get a bit more experienced :). Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.