Whats the differance between theese events?

lopp231

Reaction score
What is the difference between:

-Begins channeling an ability.
-Begins casting an ability.
-Stops casting an ability.
-Stars the effects of an ability.
-Finishes casting an ability.
if i missed any please let me know.

Thanks ;]

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't really know how channeling differs from casting, but I do know how most of the others work.

Anything that says Stops or Finishes occurs when the unit is done with the ability. Basically when it's over.

Starts Casting fires when the button for the ability it clicked and before the effect actually takes place. This can lead to exploitation in trigger-enhanced abilities if someone clicks the ability then hits Stop right away so that mana is not used and the cooldown doesn't start, but the trigger still fires.

That's where Starts the Effect comes in.
It is better than Starts Casting because it only fires when the actual effect of the ability happens, i.e. when the mana is used and the cooldown starts.
This prevents exploitation of trigger-enhanced abilities.

I am not positive about this, but Stops Casting may occur only when the unit is given an order that interrupts the ability, whereas Finishes Casting occurs when the ability finishes of its own accord.
However, I think it more likely that those events are far more similar than that.

OneBadPsycho

Reaction score
Is when the unit begins channeling it? :p

Is when the unit begins casting it (When player clicks the ability button in game)

-Stops casting an ability.
When it is finished or interruptet?

-Starts the effects of an ability.
When the ability effect begins.

-Finishes casting an ability.
When casting unit finishes casting the ability

EDIT: Too late xD

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Well...
Ghan04 has got everything correct so far, but the finishes channeling event refers to an ability that is finished with casting. Meaning, even if the Caster is dead, the Ability will still go on, until it "Stops".
Stop channeling means, anytime your casting is interupted. So, Stun or something will cause your spell to finish.

lopp231

Reaction score
Thanks.
Well the problem that im having is that when my hero does not finish the ANIMATION for casting his spell, the triggered effect doesn't work! =[

heres my trigger
Frost Dagger Side Effect
Events
Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
Conditions
(Ability being cast) Equal to Frost Dagger
Actions
Wait 0.20 seconds
Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Triggering player) at (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast)) facing Default building facing degrees
Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Undead Lich - Frost Nova (Target unit of ability being cast)

And it works fine IF the caster finishes his animation.
thanks

Insane!

Shh I didn't edit this, go away.
Reaction score
heres my trigger
Code:
Frost Dagger Side Effect
    Events
        Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Frost Dagger 
    Actions
        Wait 0.[B]50[/B] seconds
        Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Triggering player) at (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast)) facing Default building facing degrees
        Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Undead Lich - Frost Nova (Target unit of ability being cast)
try this

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
> Well the problem that im having is that when my hero does not finish the ANIMATION for casting his spell, the triggered effect doesn't work! =[

Well,

> Wait 0.20 seconds

If your hero does not finish its animation, it means the spell has been canceled somehow. (Target unit of ability being cast) is then lost because there is no more of it after the wait.

Store it into a variable or something.

Azylaminaz

Vox Populi
Reaction score
I thought the difference was that the first (channeling) only triggers on an ability which is channeled, and cast covers both.

The above code shouldn't effect the animations of the triggering unit, check other triggers or other factors that order an interruption.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
im not sure but i think a channeling ability can still have casting time, so it's cast and then once the casting time is over then it starts channeling (if it's a channeling ability)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.