Which are the most popular types on b.net right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thevoden

Reaction score
EDITED: What are the most popular maps on battle.net? AOS, Footies, RPG, ORPG, Defense? What makes the game good? Its items, hero combinations or what? If your favorite map was turned into another map (i.e. Dota heroes / items to a footies map) would it be still fun?

Obviously, D.O.T.A. (Defense Of The Ancients) is the most popular map in Battle.net. It accurately represents more than 50% of the games hosted in a public custom game list. What makes it so popular? Is it the game type, A.O.S. (Aeon Of Strife) or is it because of its re-playability? Can DOTA be as popular if it was an R.P.G. (Role-Playing Game) instead? What if DOTA was turned into a footman wars map, with the DOTA heroes? What about Line Tower Wars with DOTA heroes? Adding to all of the above is it's Recipe System.

I'm asking this as a question on what makes DOTA so playable over and over again. I am not really a big fan of DOTA until I started playing it. I was amazed on its quality and re-playability. Over time I got tired of it simply because I played it too much (and the frustrated of losing to hardcore TDA players).

Again to rephrase the question, what aspect of DOTA do you admire that if you took it out it won't make DOTA any fun to play.

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
Obviously, D.O.T.A. (Defense Of The Ancients) is the most popular map in Battle.net. It accurately represents more than 50% of the games hosted in a public custom game list. What makes it so popular? Is it the game type, A.O.S. (Aeon Of Strife) or is it because of its re-playability? Can DOTA be as popular if it was an R.P.G. (Role-Playing Game) instead? What if DOTA was turned into a footman wars map, with the DOTA heroes? What about Line Tower Wars with DOTA heroes? Adding to all of the above is it's Recipe System.

I'm asking this as a question on what makes DOTA so playable over and over again. I am not really a big fan of DOTA until I started playing it. I was amazed on its quality and re-playability. Over time I got tired of it simply because I played it too much (and the frustrated of losing to hardcore TDA players).

Again to rephrase the question, what aspect of DOTA do you admire that if you took it out it won't make DOTA any fun to play.

The high variety of heroes, the imbalanced strategies and items, the feeling of superiority and the strong skills that are the basics for winning.

All these are also the reasons why DotA is that much hated in bnet.

As far as I know, Battleships and Battletanks form another group of highly played games - just that 60% of these games are clangames and do not appear in the custom games list, and that 70+ percent of all Battleships / Battletanks fans cannot host and thus need to wait for their fav map to come up - which will most probably not happen to soon, as 1. only 40% of the Battleships type games appear on the custom games list, and 2. 50% of the hostable players are in clans and don't host public. Battleships might the same popularity, but it is far more clandestine then DotA.

I often compare DotA with Bs Psycho, both maps that appear to be balanced but have a few strategies that are really imba ( yes there are counters for them, but which of the newby players know these? ). Most of the so called "pros" exploit this to get the feeling of superiority.

well that's just my point of few : /

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're not allowed to start topics concerning Dota.
Why?

Because someone (for example, me) could start saying things like:

I don't like Dota. Its Rubbish and I don't know why everyone loves it.

Then another person would just start flaming him... and everyone would start flaming eachother

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
AOS is a rare genre in the gaming industry. That's why many people likes ot play it.
I sure do sound like a moderator.
Case closed. Thread not supported here. I'm sorry, but that's the forum rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.