Why use dummy units?

ramodkk

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm practically a beginner to triggered maps and spells. I made my first spell using a dummy unit (changed model to "Resurrection - Target special effect and made it horizontal to look like an energy ray/wave) but I don't understand, when would you need to use a dummy unit to cast a spell?

Thanks! :D

Lightstalker

Reaction score
Well, say you want to make a HUGE shockwave. You can't change the size of the model, nor the colors of it, but with a dummy unit with the shockwave model, you could make it huge! and whatever colors you want. Also, say you want to make a multi-shot ability. You can make a dummy unit that fires arrows at enemies.

L

Lanan

Or if you're using a channeling spell, your hero is doing a channeling animation while a dummy unit actually casts the spell.
That's how i do it at least :)

Doom-Angel

Jass User (Just started using NewGen)
Reaction score
in case of need.....

there is no rules for when u need them.
but if you wanna do something and you think a dummy could help u then use it - it's ur choise how to make ur spell and there is no constant rule on that

ramodkk

Reaction score
Thanks guys :)

Yeah for the spell I told you guys I did, I actually made a dummy unit and changed the model to Resurrection - Target, changed pitch angle, made it bigger and changed the color. That made like a red "fire beam".

But what I don't get is when could be helpful to have a dummy unit actually casting a spell?

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
Thanks guys :)

Yeah for the spell I told you guys I did, I actually made a dummy unit and changed the model to Resurrection - Target, changed pitch angle, made it bigger and changed the color. That made like a red "fire beam".

But what I don't get is when could be helpful to have a dummy unit actually casting a spell?

I want to create a spell that casts firebolt at all enemies withen 500.00 of the caster.

now, they cast that spell, you create a dummy unit for each enemy unit in range and tell them to cast firebolt at different units.

ramodkk

Reaction score
Thanks Pineaple, that actually clarified a lot! :)

So then talking about this mass firebolt spell, could I for example make 3 normal unit firebolt abilities (one for each level) and then trigger the dummy units to use whichever one applies to the level of the hero?

Kenny

Back for now.
Reaction score
Just make a firebolt spell that has three levels, then change the level of the firebolt according to the level of the hero ability. You would use: Unit - Set Level Of Ability For Unit. Thats in the editor thing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.