Wiki

Akatsuki

Reaction score
I don't know if I'm posting this in the right section so if not then I'm sorry for it.

Ok I was just wondering if there was a way to make a Wiki like Wikipedia for free. I say free because I have no money to spend on this. I already use a pbwiki but I just wanted to see if there is anything that is free and better. But I just wanted to make sure if there is any thing better first. Thanks.

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
You could use PHP and a Database to create one but that would take a lot of coding and time.

Akatsuki

Reaction score
Why would they have wiki software on wikipedia? That kind of makes no sense to me. But all well. Thanks.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Wikepedia does not care if you copy them. Why reinvent the wheel though? They are very confident in the fact they are the leading online encyclopedia and welcome imitators to put them to shame.

Akatsuki

Reaction score
Well the reason why I want it is because I was planing on making a wiki of new custom warcraft maps on it. It's just a general information of about the map made like what you would see at wikipedia. But if you want to make a section on wikipedia it has to be really good but I really won't care as long as it's hosted every once in awhile. Nothing as big as DotA or Footmen frenzy so people can talk about their maps. Also I think it would also help them out because then there will be a section on new maps all in one place. But I really have many reasons to make one other then just that. Right now I'm still planing it out.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
/steals idea. :p

Just as a pointer, if you are going to do something new that noone else is doing, it's a bad idea to post it on a public site. :p

I was kidding, by the way. I'm not that mean. :)

Akatsuki

Reaction score
I don't really care if someone takes the idea. If they make a better one then people will get a better wiki then. I have other things I can do with it. Also as I see it now. Everything I do now is just learning what to do so when I get older I can do it much better then before.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
I actually though of making something similar, but soon figured that it's pointless as (immature) people would go for deleting other people's articles, write that they suck et cetera. Well just look at wikipedia...people write that Eragon likes to rape little children, that a certain boxer died in a match that didn't happen yet...
Now, considering this, what do you think would a WC3 community consisted mainly of 10-14 year olds do?

Well anyway you have two solutions for making this:
Wikia
Media Wiki (under the condition you have/can buy/are ready to search for web hosting)

Akatsuki

Reaction score
Well I can't use mediawiki because it's in a tar.gz file and my computer can't read those types of files. Is there any way possible to only let a few people edit it? So that only a few trusted people can edit it so if someone wants to edit it they will have to tell someone who can edit it so no really stupid changes are made. I'm still in the planning stage but I will like to make one now so I know it's limits and what I can or can't do with it. Also that would give me more time to learn some computer language for I really don't have any experience with them.

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
What your pretty much asking for is a forum or a CMS (Joomla, e107, etc);

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> my computer can't read those types of files
Ever heard of WinRAR? Or just about any major archiving software?
If not I strongly recommend a google search on that...

> only let a few people edit it
Then mase is right, that wouldn't be a wiki anymore.

Akatsuki

Reaction score
This is why I said I'm still planning it out. So many problems that I want to take under considerations before I actually do it. But some problems can never be solved. But then only really popular maps will have problems on it and if it's that popular then someone would correct it. Still I'll look in to the matter and think of some ways to prevent it or at least lessen it's possiblity. Feel free to list any faults here so I can take them into consideration. But is SFilip found enough faults not to do it then the chances of me finding a way around those will be hard. But I want to at least say I looked over everything so I really did my research on the matter before I said no.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure mediawiki has a system to have to approve the changes...?

P

Peanuthead

Wikis are evil, they always get strange bugs when I try to install one. Then again wikipedia is evil too...

You might want to take under consideration that alot of the problems you are expecting will only happen after your site is off the ground, maybe you should worry more about actually getting it there? Or actually installing it(I've failed many times here). If you just setup a wiki and say "Hey I have a wiki, everyone come and spend hours writing articles on it", your not going to get far.

I'm pretty sure mediawiki has a system to have to approve the changes...?
Thats insane. You would need a staff assigned to this for just a small wiki.

Akatsuki

Reaction score
That's why I said to list problems with it here. I like to take nearly everything to consideration. I'm not some guy who starts something and just hopes it gets good on its own. Nearly everything I do has another point to it. Something that I would also gain if it didn't work out. Most of the time it's experience so I don't make the same mistake again.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Why don't you simply create another map index kind of a site (like epicwar, wc3sear.ch or the one we have around here)? With some moderate PHP skills you should be able to incorporate any "wiki" features intro it and still keep the control over it.

Akatsuki

Reaction score
See the thing is I want to help a new map by helping out the creator or the person working on the map. So I want to help people with small things like a forum until they can make their own and then be able to move it there. Also a small wiki about info on the map might help them as well but that could be replaced with something else if a wiki is too much of a problem. I want to help a map at the beginning stage because if a map has a good beginning then it's just a matter of keeping up the good work. So how I see it is that having a small temperary forum and a small wiki or arcticals about their maps will help them in the beginning until they get the map going in a good pace and then have time to make their own. So I'm doing this more so people can worry less about forums and information about their maps in the beginning where it matters and can worry about it later when they have time for it. But I do see some bad things with this and I am still thinking it out. But I think by the time I learn some computer language and set it up, I'll have most of the problems solved.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.