Custom Hero Arena

lllidan

Reaction score
At long last I decided on a name for the map.

It will be called: Aeon of Oblivion
Aeon- A very long period of time
Oblivion- Nothingness

I have also named the two teams, one being the Faction of Light, the other being the Cult of Darkness.

I may be able to finish this up pretty soon.

Introduction
In this map, there are two teams, each with 6 players. Each team has a base loaded with shops, a fountain, and a shrine located at either end of the map. There are 26 warcraft heroes to choose from, and 10 unlockable ones (discussed below). After selecting a hero, each player must choose its hero's offensive ability, defensive ability, special ability, and ultimate.

Gameplay
A point is awarded to a team for every player kill a player gets. Every 5 minutes there is a duel. At that time, all players are thrown into the pit, forcing them to fight. The winning team is awarded a mithrill bonus, aswell as the kill-points earned. So far I have 4 types of gameplay:

-Slayer (name subject to change): The first Team with 30 kills wins the game.
-Conquest: The first team to complete all the sidequests, slay all the mini-bosses, and kill the boss of the arena wins the game.
-Deathmatch: Duels are disabled in this mode. Each player has three lives. The team with the last Player standing wins the game.
-Timed Game: A 60-minute game. The team with the most kills wins.

Weapons & Items
Creeps are constantly spawning on the map according to the average level of all the heroes. You must kill these to obtain mithrill for forging weapons. I am in the process of adding a very expansive weapon system. Depending on their primary attribute, a hero starts with either a sword, axe, or staff. The player can then upgrade their weapon in various ways using recipe items. There are several different upgrade paths one can take. Update: I am now adding a durability system (originally based off im_on_56k's except going in the other direction and very in-depth) where whenever you attack your weapons durability goes down. Your maximum durability points depend on your weapon. When you dura. points hit 0, the weapon breaks. You can repair the weapon with repair powder (based off Dark Cloud).

Unlockable Heroes
To unlock a hero, one must enter a chat message containing a 4-digit serial code. Notice that you must play at least twice in order to unlock a hero, since you must enter the code at the start of the game. Here's how to get the serial codes:

-The first digit of every hero is dropped from a random creep at very small odds.
-The second digit of every hero works the same way as the first.
-The third digit of every hero can be obtained by killing the boss of the arena.
-The final digit of every hero can be bought at a shop for a large fee.
Progress
Terrain- 100% (Update: Fortress done!)
Heroes- 90% (Adding Final Unlockable Heroes)
Weapon System- %20
Triggers- 80% (Update: Multiboard done!)

Gameplay Modes- %60
Quests for Conquest Mode- %50
Abilities- 30% (decided my spells sucked so I am now searching for new good ones)
Armor System- 0% ( :( )
Map Name- 100%
Icons- 100% (Almost every item icon in this game was edited or colored by me :) )

Help Wanted
That about summarizes the game so far. Once version 1.0 is complete, I will post it and will be asking for BETA testers. Until then suggestions/comments/ideas are welcome! :)

Now for some screen shots. Go right here to view them :)

-lllidan

U

Unregister

Ilidan's crazy crazy hero arena!

I don't think anyone knows enough about the map to give it a name yet :p
I'm not the biggest fan of Hero Arenas, since alot are imbalanced but I'll give it a try once its released.

lllidan

Reaction score
okay thx. Yeah I wasnt expecting much since I didnt even post the map, but i will soon when it's finished.

2evil

Reaction score
I'm not that creative when it comes to names (lookit my map, 2evil's castle wars lol), but when it comes to being a player of some arenas, i have a couple of tips for you.

I don't know about your computer, but i have about 20-30 arena maps on my computer and have no clue about them because they are all named (insert name here's) Hero Arena. The one that I can pick out every time, howerver, is Fireblade's Mutating Hero Arena. This is because it gives a defining characteristic of the map in the title, and i can easily recall what makes it so fun to play :D

Also, it is good to include some sort of reference to the tileset in the title, because it will instantly make people remember what the map looks like itself. Your map looks very unique in comparison to any other arena, so you may want to play with that too.

Heres a list of words that i can think of for your title:
Illidan's
Freespace (Because of no borders)
Limitless (because of no borders)
Walless (because of no borders)
Quest
Flexi-(insert word here)
arena
battle valley
weapon-forging
adaptive
outland
badlands

will add more if i think of some, but theres a small list. Hopefully a creative person will come along now :D

lllidan

Reaction score
Thx :)

And I take that as a compliment when you say it's unique, because that's what I'm after, not just a 1000th remake of something else.

lllidan

Reaction score
Update: Finished fortress playing around with durability feature.

On that note has anyone ever played Azeroth Grand Prix? (I'm sure you have)
Well you know how there's the speedometer on the multiborad? I was thinking it would be neat to use the little notches used in taht as a weapon durability points indicator. Would anybody know how to make it so that it displays the value of a variable (integer) I have with notches?

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
lllidan said:
Update: Finished fortress playing around with durability feature.

On that note has anyone ever played Azeroth Grand Prix? (I'm sure you have)
Well you know how there's the speedometer on the multiborad? I was thinking it would be neat to use the little notches used in taht as a weapon durability points indicator. Would anybody know how to make it so that it displays the value of a variable (integer) I have with notches?
easy, have a chat string array, with each part of the array being a different percentile, so that, say, Bar[70] would be the 70% bar.

lllidan

Reaction score
About the bar you mention, how hard would it be to make, or how would you make it?

PS I dont really need a percent, just something that displays the remaining durability points (think of it like hitpoints except all below 100)

lllidan

Reaction score
thanks but no thanks. doesnt apply :)

Update: Figured out what I'm going to do with durability! It's brilliantly easy, yet unique (already half-way done!) A little information: Depending on the weapon you have, you have a set amount of durability points (DP's). Every time you attack, the durability is decreased (simulating a weapon wearing away). When the DP's reach 0, the weapon brakes. You can take the weapon to the blacksmith and reforge it, raising its maximum durability, or you can use repair powder to instantly repair it.

It's based off a game called Dark Cloud. If you would like to know more, or see the triggers once their done, post saying so or PM me.

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
lllidan said:
About the bar you mention, how hard would it be to make, or how would you make it?

PS I dont really need a percent, just something that displays the remaining durability points (think of it like hitpoints except all below 100)
Probably different ways, but I was thinking something like:

]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

or

|||||||||||||||||||

or

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

You could even colorize it:

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

lllidan

Reaction score
thanks but I decided i'm going to use food to display current durability points over maximum durabilty points.

EDIT I've decided I'm either going to do things one of two ways

1) Each weapons has a base durability of lets say 50. You can then upgrade that weapons durability by taking it to the blacksmith.

2) Each weapon (remember in this you upgrade your weapons, changing the original weapon into a new one) has a different amount of durability points that is instead upgraded when you upgrade the weapon itself, you cannot upgrade the durability alone.

But which one? Any ideas anyone?

E

Evil Sushi

Yay!

I would love to be a tester and the screen shots look amazing I can give you my E-mail if you want it. The Name Like I post last time they all suck :mad: but all well you can check them if you want there not the best of names but how do you get that home page? :confused:

- Evilsushi :nuts:

lllidan

Reaction score
Oh for the homepage all I did was search "upload images" on google, and I found that site. All you have to do is click on the link I put and then register there exactly like you would here (name, password, easy.) Thanks about the screenshot and I'd be happy if you tested with me. As for the others I think I'm going to ask Luth (the one with the thread: Design your Own Hero) if I can borrow his, since he has a clan just for testing his map. btw I like the idea about unlimited, I might go somewhere with that. :)

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
For the durability, the max should stay the same, though different for each weapon. The damage that the weapon adds should also depend on the durability, so a weapon in perfect repair will do more damage than one that's been used a bit. There should also be a (more expensive) option to refine the weapon, which can push it above the max durability by a bit, and increases damage even more.

Also, just as an aditional idea, you could have a weapon system like this:

Weapons:
Swords: Blades of all shapes and sizes, these attack the fastest, meaning they do more damage but degrade faster.
Axes: Axes attack slower than swords, and so degrade slower, but still degrade faster than other weapons. Their damage is also more wild than swords. (like they do, say, 40-80, where a sword might do 50-70)
Polearm: Attack the slowest of all the weapons, but also does the most damage, meaning it degrades slower than the swords or axes.
Blunt: Blunt weapons do similar damage to swords or axes, but attack slower. However, they degrade much less each hit, and so are the most durable of all.

Shields:
Bucklers: Has the least armor of all the shields, but gives a small bonus to evasion (less than no shield).
Round Shields: Has an armor bonus, the most average ofthe shields.
Tower Shields: The most protective of the shields, has a chance to deflect arrows, but makes the wearer move more slowly.
Special: There are many different, special things you can hold in the off-hand, such as a weapon-catch, or a net, which give you special abilities.

Setups:
Two-Hand Weapons: Two Handed weapons attack slower, and for more damage. They do more damage than a single one-handed weapon, but less than dual weapons.
Single One-Hand Weapon: A single, one-handed weapon does the least amount of damage, but adds to evasion.
Weapon and Shield: A single, one-handed weapon and a shield, does the same damage as a single, one-handed setup, but has the armor bonus of the shield instead of the evasion bonus.
Dual Weapons: Two, one-handed weapons, does the most damage by far, but has no defensive bonus, and has a chance to miss.

lllidan

Reaction score
Thanks but for the weapons I've already added them and I have staff, sword, and axe. As for the deduction I think I might do it by either like you said the type of weapon you have, or by the type of armor the person being attacked has. That way it stays simple. :)

btw any ideas for a name? I thnik I might add the word "unlimited" as a suffix to the name, but I need a root name.

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
Well, what's special about your map? what's its theme?

lllidan

Reaction score
Well that's just it there's not theme. If you took time to look at the screenshots you'll see it's based on the Black Citadel tileset. If you're wondering what it's about read the first post. Basically it's just an extensive hero arena. You choose your abilities, you choose your gameplay mode, and you choose your weapon path.

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
lllidan said:
Well that's just it there's not theme. If you took time to look at the screenshots you'll see it's based on the Black Citadel tileset. If you're wondering what it's about read the first post. Basically it's just an extensive hero arena. You choose your abilities, you choose your gameplay mode, and you choose your weapon path.
So, you're saying it's just another hero arena? nothing to make people want to play it as opposed to other maps? You need something to be new and original, or it may as well be a clone.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.