How fast do triggers run?

Handless

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a trigger that has 5 if/then/elses, 10 actions and around 20 conditions. It runs every 0.01 seconds, along with 11 same kind of triggers, one for each player. All these twelve triggers use same three global variables.

Question is: How fast the trigger actually runs? I don't have any waits in those triggers, but is it still possible for one of those triggers to overwrite one of the global variables while an another trigger is still running?

And, can this depend on how powerful the player's computer is?

laxperson808

Reaction score
im pretty sure, unless you add a wait or a timer, that it occurs instantly.. ive had no problems with overriting vars unless i added a wait or something

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
> overwrite one of the global variables while an another trigger is still running

A trigger always finishes its actions before the next queue of trigger comes in. Whatever actions in the trigger will be run and all the variables in that particular trigger will not get affected by any other triggers at that point of time. (Unless you have 'Run trigger' or 'Wait' in the actions, then it'll be a different story.)

> And, can this depend on how powerful the player's computer is?

This only affects on how the computer can handle the rate and amount of actions you use. All computers treat triggers the same way. Only difference is, lag or no lag, that's all.

hopy

Reaction score
It runs every 0.01 seconds, along with 11 same kind of triggers, one for each player.

12 long triggers that all run at the same time every 0.01 seconds... I'm pretty sure that's going to lag.. on my PC it will atleast. :p

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
(Unless you have 'Run trigger' or 'Wait' in the actions, then it'll be a different story.)
It's also possible for another trigger to "interrupt", if its event occurs in another trigger: eg. a trigger with "unit issued order" event will immediately run if another trigger issues an order to a unit, sort of inserting itself into the middle of that trigger.

DioD

Reaction score
Event, Execute, Trigger, Sleep in all other cases thread will finish before other thread started.

Stack size for threads is unlimited, but will cause slowdowns if grow too large.

with trigger sleep, thread will resume in random manner, in other cases they will resume in order, in case of triggers and timers in creation order, timer created early run early.

in case of units, units will less X and more Y reac faster.

Weyird

Reaction score
I'd like to expand on the original question:
If a trigger contains a "run trigger" action, does progress on the 1st trigger wait until the trigger that has been run is finished? And what if there's a wait function in the 2nd trigger? Does the 1st trigger then wait until the 2nd trigger's wait function and then resume?

hopy

Reaction score
I'd like to expand on the original question:
If a trigger contains a "run trigger" action, does progress on the 1st trigger wait until the trigger that has been run is finished? And what if there's a wait function in the 2nd trigger? Does the 1st trigger then wait until the 2nd trigger's wait function and then resume?

I'm pretty sure it instantly triggers at the 'Run Trigger' action.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
trigger 1 is running
calls trigger 2
trigger 2 will run now, trigger 1 is halted
trigger 2 has a "wait" action
trigger 1 will go on now

what you have to understand is that a computer cannot do 2 things at once, it simply cant. (well, today they can with multi processors but thats another story).
a computer runs a script line by line doing one action after another. there is no possibility for 2 actions to run simultaniously.

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a trigger that has 5 if/then/elses, 10 actions and around 20 conditions. It runs every 0.01 seconds, along with 11 same kind of triggers, one for each player. All these twelve triggers use same three global variables.

I would not recommend running any trigger less than every 0.03 seconds. Especially with multiple triggers at once. Not only can it lag on slower computers, it is simply unnecessary. The human eye can't detect things that fast. Anything you do every 0.01 seconds can be done faster at 0.03 seconds. Just some advice. :thup:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.