Point with polar offset and point with offset

RedRage

Reaction score
Ok yeh, so i kinda get this, i know how to make circles ect
But i don't really get this... What is polar? What is offset? What does point with polar offset mean? And yes i used a tutorial, but i don't get the tut

Thxs

MoonSlinger

I Love using Cheap Tricks... only Results matters
Reaction score
Polar (derived from polar coordinate system)
In mathematics, the polar coordinate system is a two-dimensional coordinate system in which each point on a plane is determined by an angle and a distance. The polar coordinate system is especially useful in situations where the relationship between two points is most easily expressed in terms of angles and distance; in the more familiar Cartesian or rectangular coordinate system, such a relationship can only be found through trigonometric formulae.

In short, you find the relative position of Point1 and Point2 using the distance and angle between them.

In WE, it basically denotes the relative position of two locations using the above.

Offset (derived from computer science usage)
In low-level programming, an offset usually denotes the number of address locations added to a base address in order to get to a specific absolute address. In this context an offset is sometimes called a relative address. However, offset has been commonly used in replacement of "distance" due to the usage of "bytes", "pixels" instead of "meters"

In short, Offset means a relative distance in a direction from the original point.

In WE, since we are dealing with two dimensions, it simply means the vector distance between two point.

Conclude:
To find the relative distance between two points within Warcraft, we have two ways of working.

1. Use the polar offset
This is determine by using the distance between the two points and an angle which signify which direction the point would be.

2. Using Cartesian offset
This is determine by using the changes in coordinates of the two points. what is the changes in X (horizontal) value and Y (vertical) values

Z (Height) values in WE are handled differently.
I think I will skip this part.... blabbering too much and people will get bored.

P.S. Don't quote me, I am not All-Knowing, for I might be wrong

K

Kerberos

That is correct, but it's a little ambiguous.

For normal offset, the values you put in are (x,y). So if you want to make a point at PointVariable, except 500 distance to the right and 300 distance down, you say

Set NewPoint = (PointVariable offset by (500,300))

For polar offset, the values you put in are a distance and an angle. So, if you want to move a guy 100 distance towards another unit, you say

Unit - Move unit instantly to (Position of Unit1 offset by 100 towards (Angle between Unit1 and Unit2))

RedRage

Reaction score
Both helped me understand, but what if you want to move a unit back?
And
So with point with polar offset
polar is the distance, and offset is the angle the unit, or watever is created, or where??

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.