Some of my terrain work..

turondo

Reaction score
So yeah, i'm kinda new to this site.. but i just wanna show off some of my terrain work and see if i can get any critiquing on it... heres some of my older work(about 4 months old)
and this is a LOTR type map...

Dale
newdale.jpg

Elven Encampment
tH3.jpg

Farmlands of Esgaroth
anew3.jpg

Esgaroth
anew2.jpg

Thranduils Cavern
ath7.jpg

Rhun
ath3.jpg

sorry for the diff image sizes, idk what happened :banghead:

turondo

Reaction score
idk if this is considered double posting, sorry if it is, but i didnt want to post a ton of screenshots on one post..

A random Ashenvale clearing/river
2.jpg

A mountainous fortress
aterrain.jpg

Vroengard(terrain of my new rpg)
Vroengard.jpg

Battlemapsta

I am the Conduit of Change
Reaction score
Impressive work. Looks pretty barren in most parts. I don't know what else to say (not because it's so good). I'm too tired from helping lol :D . Keep working.

Archer 1

Reaction score
Very nice, but in some of the earlier shots, i think you should add some more variation. I'm not trying to criticize it, though, cause that's much better than anything i've ever done. Good work! keep it up. hope to see some great maps from you.

turondo

Reaction score
hey, as long as its constructive, i dont mind if you criticize my work, b/c i know it could use some improvement but i'm just curious as what you guys think needs to be improved.

btw thanks for the few that have given me advice! :)

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
You make some places too detailed adn others too less detailed. For example, the Rhun image. The city (is a city?) is very good. Many details, nice things to see. But the land outside the city looks so empty... :( Just tile variation is not enough. you must put more doodads. In the water, the same. Try to put some things in the water, too. And,finally, use some fog. It will make you map even more interesting. ;)

M

Mister

Looks good, And i'm also new to the map builder, But the thing i'm good at is terrain, And i'm a quick learner with triggers, BUT

Try to use some variation, All are good, but this two

Farmlands of Esgaroth - If its a farm, where are the fences.

Thranduils Cavern - I dont know where to start.

1) Where does the water come from ?
2) It looks all the same with the white pilars
3) use a bridge instead of some wooden >?< (Dont know what it supose to be)

Posible fixes

1) for the water create a cave (cliff) and rotate the waterfalls use some rocks in the water from the cave till the water falls down, use also rocks when the water is on the way down, and make it spat on some rocks.
Use some see weed to make it look like the water has a direction.
and trees drown in too much water...

2) Change that shit.. Doesn't look good.

3) as i said use a bridge :)

You wanted criticization, here it is, I hope it helps.

and before i forget.. Use some doodads (grass bushes) to make it more real ^.^

turondo

Reaction score
its suppose to be a well sorta in the cave.. which is how its described, and it goes out to the outer aka entrance of the cavern, but thanks for your advice i'll do my best to fix it up! :D

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
turondo said:
Vroengard(terrain of my new rpg)
Vroengard.jpg
good, although, to be technical, it should be five-pronged-ish and skewed with its center to the left. At least if we are both talking about the same Vroengard? w/e thats too technically bitching though.

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
turondo said:

My favorite. :p Buy yeh, your basic problem is that you tend to be very detalied in one area and very undetailed in the other. Other than that, its excellent.

Jo.O

Bored...
Reaction score
I don't really understand why you put those fountains in Esgaroth :confused:

Also when you have grass against dirt try to put some 'grassy dirt' between the grass and the dirt and it will make it look more smooth.

Very nice pictures otherwise. And when taking screenshots you could zoom in and turn the camera to catch better photos instead of just from above :p

turondo

Reaction score
thanks for all the comments, and yes i know that the detail thing is my biggest problem... its just i already have like 12k doodads in that map... and i've already used weu for no doodad limit, but i dont want the game to get any laggy or make load too long so thats why i dont terrain outside the bases as well as in the bases.

the fountains are there to look nice, lol, but i can see why not to put it since its already on water and such..

@uber yeah i know what you mean, lol, but i kinda just like it the way it is and i have limited space to work on it for.

thanks again guys! :)

NoxMortus

All Along the Watchtower
Reaction score
Definately above average work, with some special features thrown in.

One suggestion I'd make is to scale up some buildings such as the towers.

turondo

Reaction score
uhm... not sure what you mean, increase the height of which towers.. the building towers, or doodad towers...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.