Tutorial The Complete Guide to JASS, vJASS, and cJASS

You may want to consider writing for the wiki by the way. I think this guide was attempted to be organized like a wiki, though obviously, due to this being a forum, didn't quite work.

Oh, also, this was really designed to be a book : p, lol.

That's why I had chapters and not categories ... ><

That's also why they had a specific order to them

W/e, I'm working on a sweet parser and documentation writer thing for the resource manager ^_-, going to move all the content on there. It'll be better and easier to write too ; \.

I don't understand why teaching all of these languages together is a bad idea?

I do go over all of the syntax, but I don't go over where these different styles come from, =). Overall, I just stick with cJASS syntax through the guide, but the guide does expose JASS and vJASS syntax ;o.

Anywho, I've almost got my JASS/vJASS/cJASS/Zinc parser ready (I finally got a list of all the types) with all the highlighting etc, so I'll probably transfer this guide on to a full site with chapters like it's really meant to be and just link to it. Also, being able to do javascript and ajax and so on helps out too. I might even do a little text editor for earlier chapters to show results and catch early syntax errors, maybe even implement quizzes, who knows ^_^.

Also, the parser has a lot to do with the application I'm working on, the documentation writer I'm working on, the resource browser : o. You know I haven't slept in 3 days ; p, I kid you not, lol. I'm not even tired, I've just been going at it o-o. Might pull another all nighter tonight to get the parser 100% done by thanksgiving, then I''ll be driving out the door by 5 am to catch mah flight to Las Vegas = D.

Yea, I'll be offline for a few days all ;o.

Oh well, that's the news ^_^.

On a final note, I think the basics chapter and introduction to Trigger Editor chapter (1 and 2) are perfect ^_^.

The others thought might still need some work, and I really don't know what you guys want me to do. If I go saying, JASS does this and vJASS does this and cJASS does this and split them all up like that, it'll just confuse newcomers. I just wanted to introduce them to all of the different ways and then really teach them through my own personal fav, c way ; 0.

The explanations are rubbish, you simply describe what each thing does, which isn't a particularly great way of teaching. Some of those tasks are ridiculous too.

I don't get what you mean by that Romek. I describe what each thing is and what it does and I provide full examples.

Now the exercises I know are very difficult, lol. I figure if you can do them, then you def know your stuff ^_-. Introduction to arrays exercise is a linked list, lol. Iteration exercise works off of the fact that arrays have default values ;o, which not even everyone knows, lol. The boolean expression exercises are a bit wild. Actually, there was one exercise I really wanted to do where you determine the output of a script ; ). Was planning to throw a few curve balls in it with order of operations of booleans and really compact/hard to read code with some of the interesting things I showed like-

x++
i++
return x*i
y *= x
int y++--++ = 1
++++y++++
y--*=2*--x--*2+x++
int i = x
x--
int x = 9
++h+++=--x
return y
return h
int h

That was a problem I was hoping to do ; p. Not that hard if you know it, but very confusing if you don't ; ).

Goal is to figure out what each variable is equal to through the end of the function ^_^

Read post #58.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    News portal has been retired. Main page of site goes to Headline News forum now
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am working on getting access to the old news portal under a different URL for those that would rather use that for news before we get a different news view.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Easily done
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    https://www.thehelper.net/pages/news/ is a link to the old news portal - i will integrate it into the interface somewhere when i figure it out
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Need to try something
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hopefully this won't cause problems.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hmm
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I have converted the Headline News forum to an Article type forum. It will now show the top 20 threads with more detail of each thread.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    See how we like that.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do not see a way to go past the 1st page of posts on the forum though
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is OK though for the main page to open up on the forum in the view it was before. As long as the portal has its own URL so it can be viewed that way I do want to try it as a regular forum view for a while
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the pagination.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    It SHOULD be there so I think it might just be an artifact of having an older style.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I switched it to a "Standard" article forum. This will show the thread list like normal, but the threads themselves will have the first post set up above the rest of the "comments"
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I don't really get that article forum but I think it is because I have never really seen it used on a multi post thread
  • Ghan Ghan:
    RpNation makes more use of it right now as an example: https://www.rpnation.com/news/
  • The Helper The Helper:
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What do you think Tom?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I will have to get used to this.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    The latest news feed looks good
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I would like to see it again like Ghan had it the first time with pagination though - without the pagination that view will not work but with pagination it just might...
  • The Helper The Helper:
    This drink recipe I have had more than a few times back in the day! Mind Eraser https://www.thehelper.net/threads/cocktail-mind-eraser.194720/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.