UnrealCraft 1.0 Engine + Map Releases and Log

Do we need a tutorial on UC 1.0?

• Yes, and ASAP

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Not really, I can figure this thing out myself

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Not sure, I need to see further development of UC to see if its worth it

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • No, just dont bother. It aint going anywhere.

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HailCommi

Reaction score
Downloads will be available at the end of the thread

===========================================================================

UnrealCraft 1.0 Engine:

What is it: a FPS engine to simulate, in particular, Unreal Tournament. Really nothing much more to say about it. The engine itself is not functionable (it is stripped down to the features below). However, most of the content are abstract and versatile, providing a basic foundation for all kinds of FPS maps in WC. Everything will be open-source, you can dl both CTF-Garden and UC 1.0 at the bottom of post. Further builds of the engine as well as other maps will be posted on this thread. Bug reports can also be posted here, as well as comments and suggestions. As for a tutorial for UC, it is definitly needed if you want to fully utilize the engine (it has its own projectile collision system, projectile tracking system, spawn queue and frag tracker). However, I'll still poll to see if n1 want to use it (vote at poll) (Be sure to play CTF-Garden FIRST before voting).

Features:
-Camera orientations,
-movement triggers,
-item proxy pickup triggers, (item independent :))
---comes with setup for health + ammo
-item spawn queue,
-projectile tracking + collision system.
--comes with 2 example projectiles, 1 utilizing the splash damage system

Play UC-CTF-Garden first, and you'll get the drift.

UC-CTF-Garden:

CTF-Garden is a map based off of my engine to show you guys how UnrealCraft works (The engine itself is not playable). It is a class-based CTF (As in Weapons Factory for those UT99 players). There are 2 teams, 6 players max on each. CTF return style is Carry Return. When game starts, host sets the score needed on each team to win. Each Player can choose from a total of 4 classes.

Features of CTF-Garden not in the Engine:
-Capture the flag system,
-custom attacks, units,
-multiboards,
-taunts :)D)

Known Issues on CTF-Garden
This is my first release on UC. A remake of this map will probably follow with the following things fixed (hopefully):

- Some players on testing session have reported unable to choose a class or having difficulty doing so (i.e. it waits for 5,6 seconds before creating unit).
- Some players cannot seem to fire, or strafe at certain points.
- Fix some leaks I might have missed here and there ( I know, I know :( )

The master plan (AKA my desperate attempt for support):
More updates will be released for UC1.x on this thread. This includes new classes, new modes (Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch, and Bombing Run), and only minor trigger fixes (unless fatal).

If I get to finish and launch Final Battlefront while still have energy left, here's what I have planned for UC2.0:
- Vehicle system with acceleration physics (mounting + interactive key) (this will be implemented into new modes such as Assault, Conquest, and Onslaught)
- Strafe Smoothing
- A better refined aiming system
- More advanced item interaction
- Development of Z-space (i.e. you can jump to make a dodge)
- Voting system (wont be a part of the engine package though)
- Weather Systems for smaller maps.
- maybe MAYBE trackables for smaller maps to have that roll-over and turn effect of real FPS games.

So theres that. Enjoy CTF-Garden. Suggestions + criticisms are more than welcomed.
Thanks to ShadowFrenzy and ihatepimples amongst others for helping out on Bnet.
Also thanks to LGM/Supermj for the reference on the strafe trigger.

=============================================================================

UnrealCraft 1.5

Well here it is:
Additional features
- Projectile Registers and Anti-Registers:

Projectile Register:
- If you have played 1.0, you'll notice that if you shoot against a cliff, the projectile will actually try to go around it, resulting in arrows travelling sideways. And this is the solution.

- Projectile registers are units manually placed around the map at places the projectile suppose to "hit the terrain / doodad" and stop. Once correctly placed, you're rocket / arrow / spear will hit against a "wall" and will be removed instead of trying to go around it.

Projectile Anti-registers
- Anti-registers work the same way as registers do, they are placed around the map by the map maker. However, it functions differently. Once a projectile hits an anti-register, it will gain temporary immunity from Registers and will become non-colliding for that duration (on Garden Remake I set it to 0.5 secs, but that can be adjusted)

- Why the hell do I want to use Anti-Registers: AR makes the engine make more spacial sense. For example, if you are on top of a cliff and an enemy is at the bottom, and Registers are placed along side the cliff. If he shoots, the projectile will be "blocked" by the cliff (though its actually removed due to contact with the register). However, if you try to shoot your opponent, the same thing will happen, which is not realistic because you should be able to shoot down the cliff.

By placing Anti-Registers along the upper end of a cliff, you solve this problem. AR, when properly placed, acts as a one way street for projectiles. You can shoot 1 way, but it will block the other.

Example:
helperhb8.jpg

Purple are Projectile Registers, Green are Projectile Anti-Registers.

- I am aware that there a limit to the # of neutral units around the map, however, this does not affect register and anti-registers. You can place them, then change owner to the slot of a human player if you wish. Triggers will revert that. That way, they wont count for neutral # of units placed in WE.

Movement adjustment system
- Now, your movement will be adjust by the amount of ammo you are carrying and how much health you've lost. The more ammo you carry, the heavier you are, and the slower you move. The more injured you are, the less energy you have to move, and the slower you move. Strafe is not affected by this.

Changes from 1.0:
- No more sample warheads (though they'll probably come back in the next version).
- Changed some leaks (single one actually :p, didnt bother looking for them)

Whats next?
- Movement acceleration (you run forward for a couple of seconds and you will gain +20 bonus movement. stop and it goes away)
- Z-space (I've decided not to wait for 2.x on this one)
- release of a CTF engine
- DM and Team DM modes

UC 1.6

Winter Crisis uses the new 1.6

Additional Features

Jumping:

- You can now jump (Hotkey: E). Jumping allows you to dodge projectile. However, a certain height must be attained inorder for that to happen (to simulate legshots while jumping). Jump dodges hitscan weapons at any height, and cannot dodge damage deal from splash weapons (though you can dodge the projectile). You cant dodge melee weapons, jab, and flamers.

New Classes
- Two new classes you can choose from: Cybernetics and Goblin Engineer. Here are some screen shots:

RailGun:

railgunud7.jpg

Flamer:

flamerts9.jpg

Changes:
- Fixed a couple of bugs with rocket launchers and snipe that causes WC to crash

- Decreased timer on Anti-Regs.

- changed armor bonus

Known Issues
- Hitscan are not yet affected by Anti-Regs yet. Meaning you cant shoot down a cliff.

- I'll post UC 1.6 on tomorrow. Just need some clean up.

Thanks to:
- Purgeandfire and quraji for helping with jumping.

UC 1.6, UC 1.6 CTF, and Winter Crisis are posted

- As Gravedigger have suggested, this thread has been re-organized. All information relating updates will be posted on the first thread and all downloads will be posted at the end. Also, after WindexGlow's coercive post of a century's masterpiece, I've decided not to include any sample projectiles at all to UC (its simply redundant), if you need reference on adding projectiles, just open Winter Crisis.

- While I was stripping Winter Crisis down, I figured might as well take a SS while all the registers are removed. So here it is:

wcnt3.jpg

Update: WinterCrisisfixed submitted

New Features:
- Allow to switch between first and third person view (use !view first or !view third)
- Your camera moves as you jump
- Some terrain changes
- New Items:
----Munition Pack (allow you to carry extra ammos)
----The Redeemer:
------If you never played UT before here a run-down of what the Redeemer is:
------The Redeemer is a special weapon, equivalent to the BFG in ID games. It is essencially a "driveable" nuclear warhead. Once fired, the player switches to a third-person view of the missile, and can maneuvered by pressing the left or right arrow key (you cant control it's forward movement, it's always moving forward). Upon impact with a Register or an enemy player, the warhead explodes, instantly killing ALL players around it (splash radius a bit larger than that of the Rocket Launcher). Though being extremely powerful, it renders the player using it completely exposed to attacks since he cant see himself. If a player dies while his missile is in the air, the nuke will explode harmlessly.

Some SS :D

nukepr0.jpg

58230879ue4.jpg

Squll2

je'ne sais pas
Reaction score
sounds interesting, just make sure it dont lag. :p looking at the map now (=

C-Death

I love you
Reaction score
It looks pretty good, i really like the arrow key system, +rep

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
It would be nice to have turning with the mouse. Maybe change the pointer art with an aimer. Do you know how to use trackables? Maybe Dark_Baron_Prot can help you with trackables if you decide to do it like that. Click to shoot maybe too?

Edit: A tut would really be nice.

HailCommi

Reaction score
It would be nice to have turning with the mouse. Maybe change the pointer art with an aimer. Do you know how to use trackables? Maybe Dark_Baron_Prot can help you with trackables if you decide to do it like that. Click to shoot maybe too?

Trackables are scheduled to come with UC 2.x. Right now I'm more worried about projectile, MUI, and physics. However, I'll keep the name Dark_Baron_Prot in mind and contact him when the time comes. The thing about trackable is that they dont differentiate which player did the roll-over, and thus, multiple layers need to be added (in this case, 12 layers :eek: ). At that time, lag might become a huge issue. Mostly likely what I'll do is have the trackable framework fit into UC, and let the mappers theyselves decide whether they want to use them or not. But since UC 2.0 wont be release for a while (as in months), a lot of things can change, so I dont want to make any empty promises :( .

btw, UC 1.6 will be posted here in about 1.5 - 2 hours of this post :D

WindexGlow

Reaction score
-movement triggers
There's like 50 of these fuckers on the forum; it isn't hard.
-item proxy pickup triggers, (item independent)
Oh my, how fancy. Truly fancy. A combination item setup (I believe, if I'm wrong correct me. SpeficAmmoType+SpeficAmmoType = SpeficAmmoTypex2)
---comes with setup for health + ammo
Look at me, I'm a flippin little dolphin! Oink oink oink! Unit uses/aquires an item. Item equal to (medic box) set (triggering units) life to (life of ((triggering unit) + 50)
Custom value (if unused) for ammo, integer, or mana.
Oh my, yet another fancy thing. Truly marvelous, yup. A 20 caret gem in triggering this one is!

-projectile tracking + collision system.
Ah, yes. But does it detect the terrain (aka: Able to run into destructibles that have 'walkable' turned on?)

--comes with 2 example projectiles, 1 utilizing the splash damage system
You forgot to add in 4 useless projectiles that are the same thing =[

Your next features (while candy coated) look more advanced than this currently.
I'll open your map in the world editor and waddle around in it, see what it can do.

Btw; let the comebacks commence, me -repped for this, and 5x more posts than this would normally get.

Edit after looking at it: It can hardly be considered an engine, seriously. There's only 1 jass trigger in it, which probably isn't even yours to begin with. Your movement triggers are expanded way too largely (8 movement triggers for each player?!) Your bullet system is [>_> removed by myself] anyone can do in 3 weeks of using the world editor.
Sorry =[ not impressed.

HailCommi

Reaction score
Winter Crisis 1.6

Regarding the post above (too long to quote):

- First off, thanks for the criticism, its actually about time some1 posted one (I cant believe I'm saying this either but, + rep).

- Windex is absolutly right, UC isnt complex at all, you dont need a lot of JASS background to use it (btw, I believe theres more than 1 JASS trigger :), you were probably looking at 1.0 ), and most parameters can be changed through a variable. However, the point of UC is not to impress ppl, its to save ppl time so they dont have to write triggers for something they are going to be using over and over again (that is, presuming if anyone's using it, which I doubt).

- UC is at a VERY early stage of development. I am still struggling with the basics (this is my first project using JASS, I've never done JASS before UC). I do admit that I, myself, believe that UC was prematurely released (thats why these updates are so frequent (look at time stamps)). I should've added more features before posting the first one, thats something I regret.

- After looking through at all your metaphors and mocks, I wasn't pissed at all. However, this line caught my attention:

>There's only 1 jass trigger in it, which probably isn't even yours to begin with

You can say my project suck bovine testicles, you can spit on it all you want, but do NOT say I ripped this off of someone else. All except for the strafe trigger are coded by me (along with some help that I have already given credit). The strafe trigger I had reference from LGM's map, and I have given him credit both in the post, and in the new map (I didnt get his PM reply til a couple of days ago). I do NOT copy features of other people's map and paste them on mine without giving credit. All your criticisms were about my map, which I think are fine, but that particular line was you criticizing my personal character. It does not help the discussion, and I believe comments like that should be kept at a minimum.

btw - taking off Garden and the Remake to save some space.

WindexGlow

Reaction score
I meant someone probably made it for you. =/ If I'm going to say you're stealing from someone, I'm going to say you steal all of it, instead of just 1 trigger (which I'm not)

HailCommi

Reaction score
I meant someone probably made it for you. =/ If I'm going to say you're stealing from someone, I'm going to say you steal all of it, instead of just 1 trigger (which I'm not)

Thank you :). And no, if something is not credited, then it is made by me. If some1 helps (even including OFFERING to make a trigger for me), I will give the appropriate credit whether they like it or not.

As for that technical "question" about the projectile collision system, no it does not react with terrain like the system that you are using for your other project :). It uses placeable registers and anti-registers which give mappers MORE control over where projectiles should hit and where they shouldn't rather than just terrain based. For instance, you can creat something like a shield grenade (as in the new Halo) buy creating a ring of Registers then a smaller ring of Anti-Registers (just a loop and a single line to creat it, then a wait and remove). That way, projectiles can only go out from the shield, but none can get in. And you can perform all of this without changing the system. If you use terrain-based mesh collision, you need to have have seperate triggers working with dummy units that auras friendly units, then adding the buff detection into the system itself.

As I said before, UC is VERY basic. The actually abilities of units are left to the mappers' imagination

G

Gravedigger

Please always update your first post with the latest version, and simply post that it has been updated. You could simply put the garden and winter things there with the unreal 1.5 thing.

WindexGlow

Reaction score
That terrain isn't have bad compared to some of the crap I see from others.
Try adding gentle hills (no one likes mean hills). It really bugs me when the terrain is flat like yours. Just very small, hardly noticible hills work perfectly.

L

LGM

I agree, make the terrain less flat. Slight hills look nice, but if you have any paths, make them lower than the ground around them. It looks nice.

Hint: You gave credit to me (LGM) But on bnet I'm supermj. You should edit it to LGM/Supermj.
EDIT: Thanks

HailCommi

Reaction score
Credit change on forum is done. I'll add some details to the terrain for a fixed version of wintercrisis, and I'll make the appropriate adjustment to the credits as well. ty for your suggestions.

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
Very nice - however, strafing doesn't seem to be any good, and movement is too hard. Also, I don't like the camera - maybe add a third-person option? (like just behind the character)

G

Gravedigger

what I was trying to say is just put all the current info about current downloads, everything in the first post. That way it's really easy to get the newest version. Also try to see if you can fix the camera so it doesn't look like it's actually inside your gun. And if you make maps with it like that Winter thing, you should probably go ahead and submit them to the custom map submission section.

Omni

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Rail gun is the gun that can shoot a beam [from the chaos mod rite?]
w/ alternate fire also through walls :D (is that in it? alt. fire?)

also is there a weapon system? are there scorpoins & mantas? (PANCAKE! :D )

will it include the efect that when you hop out of a manta while flying towads
some noob that you can nicely own him without moving
(i always loved that , hop in, go up, go towards some noob, jump out, watch the vehicle land on the noob Ô.Ô )

UT ROCKS!

but about a weapon system does it have one? can you switch beteen weapons?
raptors, leviathans, the jeep like car that i never used.. only for daredevil things ^^
is it in it all?
(omg reviving memories ^^)

does it have a gravity vortex, ion painter, can you get headshots w. lightning rifle how about a redeemer here and there :p

most important is it lagless

Does it have the pancake-actions and blood & gore like UT?

omg i'll stop writing now =.=

HailCommi

Reaction score
First off, thanks for all of your suggestions.

Also, I don't like the camera - maybe add a third-person option? (like just behind the character)

Will be added soon to prepare for UC 2.0 when vehicles are introduced (all vehicles are driven from 3rd person view).

what I was trying to say is just put all the current info about current downloads, everything in the first post. That way it's really easy to get the newest version.

I get how to edit the content, but how do you edit attachments? Oo.

And if you make maps with it like that Winter thing, you should probably go ahead and submit them to the custom map submission section.

Will do for the fixed version. As Windex and LGM said, the terrain needs a little more detail. Since its FPS, you get to see the map really up close, and every detail counts. Also, new features needs to be added.

>Rail gun is the gun that can shoot a beam [from the chaos mod rite?]

Railgun is actually a tribute to the Quake Series, being the first ones to use it. (If you're think the ChaosUT mod, you're thinking RPB sniper rifle, which pretty much does the same thing)

>mantas?

I'll try to accommodate flying vehicles in 2.x, however, manta physics is wayyyyyyyyy too complicated (acceleration, momentum, angular momentum, flight height, force of propellers pushing down, lateral acceleration when during turns, just to name some). If any1 knows a physics engine that does a decent job of those, PM me ASAP.

>redeemer

You think I'd forget the God gun? :) Will be included in WinterCrisis Fixed.

>UT ROCKS!

Amen

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.