What kind of map?

What Should My Next Map type be?

• Total voters

Rad

Reaction score
People started playing DotA to much when WoW came out (well mainly the rest left for that, then came back to see only DotA was popular). Then people couldnt get enough people for other games, and thier own so those got even less popular. Now its hardly possible at all to get a good chunk of people to play a map.

-warcraft is warcraft and not customcraft.
-wc3 was made for ladder games and not for custom.

Wc3 was designed for both, not just ladder games... Why would they come out with same amount of editor updates as they do for ladder balances? It is to customcraft... Blizzard just got obsessed with WoW (Because they get paid alot for that... 14 bucks a month for a million users is 14 million bucks a month... for server maintence?? I THINK NOT)

Blizzard would probrably be making custom maps to... probrably more along the lines of campaign though... still

Myzteryz

It only does everything.
Reaction score
Warcraft was first designed for campaign, then later on they came up with battle.net.

They also came up with the idea that giving a world editor that would let players manipulate almost every aspect of the game would increase sales.

And with that game the custom games section.

I don't know if its true but it makes a lot of sense.

90% of battle.net players play ladder/melee.
the other 10% are the people who found out they are not very good at ladder/melee (they don't try hard enough, im sure every1 can be good) and started playing fast warcraft which the definition is custom games.

Rad

Reaction score
umm... dont know where your getting your sources but im sure thats 9/10 people play ladder not custom is off...

Warcraft 1 started trying to get a map editor, just letting you change a few things like damage etc... then starcraft had an editor. Not sure about wc2 probrably though. Wc3 came out better than all the rest then they just screwed themselves and made WoW

Myzteryz

It only does everything.
Reaction score
my sources are from experience.

warcraft started with blizzard trying to make a new revolutionary game that would have the same concept as many other strategy games such as Age of Empire, (and that greek game).

Blizzard is very popular because of its free lasting battle.net (and of course gameplay but we are talking about bnet :))
It comes with a small price but last very long.

Now, I agree with most custom game players playing dota, it has become very hard to organize a full house game other than dota.

But many game still live such as mazes, footies, rpgs.

M

maerlyn

Rad said:
No I havent played CoD, and Im not going to either. They all suck because they dont let you learn how to play saying no noobs
Sounds like you've had a bad experience with dota. You can't just join a game and have no desire to learn how to play and expect to win. It takes a bit of skill and time.

Rad said:
there all asshole magnets, and its all negativity in game. Not to mention how imbalanced they all are
You do know, you can choose your hero, right? If you know that Intelligence heroes tend to be weak late game, choose a Strength one.

Rad said:
Even people have confessed they like playing DotA for when they get thier 'favorite hero' (Which usually is the most common, because its probrably so powerful and easy to use hence IMBALANCED)
Sure. You mean like Clinkz, Sven, Bradwarden, Luna, Maiden, Leoric, Crix, Stealth Assassin, Gondar or Drow? I can guarantee ONE of these will be available to pick in-game ;)

Again, it comes down to picking a hero that you know how to use. There are no imbalanced heroes. For some, you might have to be defensive, or wait until you can get some items.

S

salempc

In response to the REAL PURPOSE OF THIS THREAD, I suggest a map about 2 kingdoms that fight each other. Heroes can be based off medieval ones, (king arthur, etc).

Following Pwn's post I want to give it a bit of detail:

- 2 teams available, 2 kingdoms.
- Each player gets a hero.
- Each player is able to hire a peasant.
- Peasants can carry items for the hero, and build defensive structures.
- Peasants have few options for damaging towers, but can make walls and operate catapults, maybe call to arms.
- Heroes purpose is to get to the other kingdom, with the aid of computer controlled footmen or something similar. (probably like an AOS)
- DO NOT MAKE LANES, but make a varied terrain that will provide some obstacles.
- add a lot of regions so that you can make soldiers move vary movement.
- Items should be only weapons and armor, not much magical stuff, sometimes its good but keep it limited.
- random events are a must if you want the map to have a replay value, but you may consider doing them after finishing the rest.

Thats my 2 cents, tell me what do you think.

Rad

Reaction score
Sure. You mean like Clinkz, Sven, Bradwarden, Luna, Maiden, Leoric, Crix, Stealth Assassin, Gondar or Drow? I can guarantee ONE of these will be available to pick in-game

So what your saying is theres enough imbalance to go around? How bout they nuke em and make it actually have a point to use a bad hero and not actually suck because everyone else chooses them to win and you choose that to see what it does...

Nuff of this dota crap...

S

salempc

BTW if you dont like my idea tell me because I just saw a way to do it :)

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Um, are you sure about that 9/10 players play melee, i think its the other way around, were 9/10 people play custom ^_^

btw i dont care if you have a debate on this forum, i think its fun to read :p

Rad

Reaction score
Its probrably about balanced... melee vs custom... if you arent in a clan the standard channels are usually melee gamers, then lots of clans are made for ATing etc... but then for all of them theres clans that have 4x the people that all play custom, so the channels vs the huge custom clans might balance. This is all in theory of course, wc3 doesnt detect whether a person play more melee or custom tho so nobody can be 100% right. I'd say its probrably 6(custom):4(melee)...

Need a.. map... where you can build... and upgrade after you built different stuff.. and learn skills to allow to build other stuff... and have lots of buildings... and get hard to survive... natural disasters are fun to... yes tents huts settlments and town centers... city halls... keeps... mmhmm lots of stuff... lots of dots to.... dotty...

M

maerlyn

Rad said:
So what your saying is theres enough imbalance to go around? How bout they nuke em and make it actually have a point to use a bad hero

What I'm saying is: if you want to be balanced against a hero that is "powerful and easy to use", you use another powerful hero.

In all the dota games I host, it's always -allrandom. And when I join a dota game, I'll -random more often than not. I don't mind having a weak ranged/caster hero against a strong melee/stun hero. You just have to know what you're doing.

It really would be fun to play a game with no heroes, though. Not against other players, as well.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
maerlyn said:
It really would be fun to play a game with no heroes, though. Not against other players, as well.

Its called single player melee ....

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
lol....so what kinda map u going to make?

MooMooMan

Reaction score
ok i can seealll ur points..... ive even thought of a GREAT idea

how aboout a hero survival that has MANY heroes, my main reason for liking dotas and aos' is the varied array ofheroes and there custom abilities, i mean who would not want to see flashy graphics and all
if ur gonna make hero survival(sigh....) make LOTS OF HEROES AND LLOTS OF CUSTOM MOVES. that way people will remember it, not only because it was a quote: "fun little game" itwill be remembered as afun little game that has amazing,logic defying abilities that seem uberly hard tomake but really there not.

and another thing make MANY difficulty settings and many levels, so if they want a challenge they would have it, if they want a fun little thing that takes 30mins and gives you a senseof accomplishment. and add things like the unit gets polymorped for 30 secs when he tries to bs

o and btw i havent seen THAT many aos' on warcraftand all the ones ive played are quite fun, and u guys where wondering about y i was ranting about it, lets say i started to dump your hero survival(WHICH IM NOT SO DONT DO SOMETHING DUM, I REPEAT I AM NOT DUMPING YOUR GAMEITS ONLY AN EXAMPLE) saying it was a lame littlegame that wouldnt make it all that far, how would you feel? i think youd feelpretty :mad: just like i was. i mean there r so many dota hatters.... o and if ur wondering y im writing this much im just trying to compete with wats his name that made a HUGE post(lol that was funny) and I whole heartedly agree that we must mount an attack to get more people to play warcraft.

MOUNT YOUR LANCES MEN ITS TIME FOR THE INVASION!!! :D

okay i had to say that. now back tomy infinitly long post :D

now this hero survival i like the idea, and ill tell u all a secret

the only reason i likethe aos' is because ofthe diversity of the heroes and moves, so if u make the heroes in yours have custom skins and UBER abilities, then i would ROOT UR MAP BUDDY!!!!!! YAY UP WITH DIVERSITY (i wonder if my post is very long yet, i cant tellwith this small typing screen)

and remember, if there is 5000 aos maps then what r the rest?? ;) :D all the rest are different maps, sodota isnt the only reason, lolrofl

and this ends the longest post in the helpers history i bid you people goodnight. :D and i kno ull all be like this: :eek: lol

SORRY FOR ALL THE HORRIBLE GRAMMER AND I HOPE ULL TAKEMY IDEAS TO HEART!

Grurf

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
:p Guess who was the long posting dude... =)

Well, I get your point. You like AOS-es because of the great hero variation. In that case I think it's better to say that you like maps in which you can choose from a good variety of heroes and then slay some creeps. Why don't you try my map then? It's thread is here.

Xenoche

Reaction score
Ive made an AOS!!!

I made an aos called Armies of the underworld where your a summoner with hero abilities, you also have to erect defences in the form of towers, with a whole lot of custom icons and stuff. Also mid game there are special units that spawn like titans(super huge monstrous beasts) and whichever team kills the enemy titan first gets bonus gold, as well as massive siege engines. Had a pretty good response from it so far and any more feedback would be greatly appreciated. You can find it at the site http://www.wc3sear.ch/ under the auther Xenoche as well as the other 5 maps im working on (most of them are still in need of some testing). Any feedback can be posted at http://xenoche.blogspot.com/. HF and happy map making. :shades:

MooMooMan

Reaction score
lol hi i guess we r even for da posting now grurf

ROFLi really enjoyed that illcheck ur map out l8er and host it cuz im on my iBook at school right now :(

so any feedback on my ideas for his map? i also like enfos and reallyanything that has heroes with sweet*** abilities(p.s. ima gonna watch my death threats and language from now on, i dont want a red dot anymore :)) i like the look of ur map and i havent seen any thing of it, only the description. GOOD JOB MY HOMIE! im nota bad guy c? im just impulsive

u can still shoot me formy horrible grammr and lackof spaces in between words(goddam iBook and itsnon sensitive keyboard!) remember im crazy :nuts: not dum :banghead: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: (i luv these icons, i just added the mad faces forfun :p) lol i guess this has elongated into another long post.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.