Which is better? JASS/WE

• JASS

Votes: 21 56.8%
  • World Editor

Votes: 16 43.2%

• Total voters

Rad

Reaction score
Most people in the world don't play Warcraft.

You can do a lot in GUI. However, you can do more in JASS. So JASS is more powerful.

Ah ok, then most people that play warcraft dont know what a local variable is. But Im sure most of them can tell you what a tooltip is. You guys look at it like "Ok JASS has locals and less leaks" I look at it like "JASS is complicated, makes little sense, and GUI explains what it does"

You guys keep saying theres so much you can do in JASS you cant in GUI. STOP LOOKING AT IT LIKE THAT! Look at everything you CAN do in GUI compared to the amount you CAN do in JASS. There really close if you think about it. Someone said you can do random actions with JASS, you can do the same thing with GUI. "Loops are way easier in jass. -56k" OK but JASS itself is much much more difficult. Not to mention its incredibly EASY with GUI. How the hell can you compare those? Loops arent hard at all! "local variables = no in gui so hah - sqrage" OK that would be nice in GUI, but there is many many ways you can get around it in GUI. Besides only for spells is where you need it.

What else is there to compare? For the easy-to-use part of GUI compared to the very little extra you can do with JASS I say that its not worth the complexities. Not to mention Im sure 95% of you have some type of JASS program that does half of it for you.

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
Rad said:
Ah ok, then most people that play warcraft dont know what a local variable is. But Im sure most of them can tell you what a tooltip is. You guys look at it like "Ok JASS has locals and less leaks" I look at it like "JASS is complicated, makes little sense, and GUI explains what it does"

You guys keep saying theres so much you can do in JASS you cant in GUI. STOP LOOKING AT IT LIKE THAT! Look at everything you CAN do in GUI compared to the amount you CAN do in JASS. There really close if you think about it. Someone said you can do random actions with JASS, you can do the same thing with GUI. "Loops are way easier in jass. -56k" OK but JASS itself is much much more difficult. Not to mention its incredibly EASY with GUI. How the hell can you compare those? Loops arent hard at all! "local variables = no in gui so hah - sqrage" OK that would be nice in GUI, but there is many many ways you can get around it in GUI. Besides only for spells is where you need it.

What else is there to compare? For the easy-to-use part of GUI compared to the very little extra you can do with JASS I say that its not worth the complexities. Not to mention Im sure 95% of you have some type of JASS program that does half of it for you.
He (rad) just ownd you all and hes right!! I totally agree with him! (seems as though hes a good debator!)

Rad

Reaction score
###### says:
jass>gui
Rad says:
no way
###### says:
lol yes way
Rad says:
nope
###### says:
why not
Rad says:
without GUI nobody would be playing warcraft
###### says:
yes they would
###### says:
how do you expect people learned jass?
###### says:
fuck
Rad says:
from GUI
###### says:
i just proved a point
###### says:
for u
###### says:
fuck
Rad says:
lol

Conversation in MSN, speaks for itself. Marked out his name to reduce embarassment.

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
lol ownd (no offense to ######)

Sargon

Reaction score
Rad said:

Also, most people who play Warcraft don't make maps. And tooltips have nothing to do with GUI.

Actually, JASS loops are really nice. And why should we stop looking at the fact that you can do more in JASS than GUI? Because it doesn't support your argument?

Program? Yeah, like TextEdit (for which the PC equivalent is Notepad).

Hell, what little JASS stuff I've ever done has generally been inside the textbox in the trigger editor where you enter the code. No outside program (except for TextEdit, which I only use because it actually lets you use backspace to delete highlighted text).

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
you can learn JASS without GUI, how do you think people learn C++, theres no GUI for it.

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
Sargon said:
Also, most people who play Warcraft don't make maps. And tooltips have nothing to do with GUI.

Actually, JASS loops are really nice. And why should we stop looking at the fact that you can do more in JASS than GUI? Because it doesn't support your argument?

Program? Yeah, like TextEdit (for which the PC equivalent is Notepad).

Hell, what little JASS stuff I've ever done has generally been inside the textbox in the trigger editor where you enter the code. No outside program (except for TextEdit, which I only use because it actually lets you use backspace to delete highlighted text).
1) For Warcraft it does 2) No comment 3) That makes JASS even MORE complicated which means JASS will take longer to work with and there will be a bigger chance of messing up the code [i.e. { instead of (]

Sargon

Reaction score
sqrage said:
you can learn JASS without GUI, how do you think people learn C++, theres no GUI for it.

And besides, how does the fact that most people use GUI first make GUI inherently better? It's good to a point, but after that point you really need at least some knowledge of JASS.

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
Sargon said:
And besides, how does the fact that most people use GUI first make GUI inherently better? It's good to a point, but after that point you really need at least some knowledge of JASS.
How so? Why do u need some knowledge of JASS for GUI which is self explanitory after like 1 hour. Plz answer me.

Sargon

Reaction score
mase said:
1) For Warcraft it does 2) No comment 3) That makes JASS even MORE complicated which means JASS will take longer to work with and there will be a bigger chance of messing up the code [i.e. { instead of (]

1) No, tooltips have NOTHING to do with triggers. They have everything to do with the object editor. We're talking about triggers here.

2) no comment on your no comment

3) So copying and pasting is difficult and will lead to mistakes? I hope that you're not speaking from experience.

Also, I'm fairly sure that JASS never uses {}. Get a new example.

Sargon

Reaction score
mase said:
How so? Why do u need some knowledge of JASS for GUI which is self explanitory after like 1 hour. Plz answer me.

OK. Here's my explanation: reread my post. I didn't say anything of the sort. What I was actually saying was that GUI works fine for all your triggering needs until you reach a certain level of complexity. After that level, you start to need to use JASS more and more, because GUI just doesn't have the functions you need.

Rad

Reaction score
Well put mase EDIT this is to one of his earlier posts, took me awhile to write :p

sqrage said:

They learn C++ from the tens of thousands of tutorials out there from the person who created it, who knew the person who created the first scripting language, to the person who created the computer which was only compatable with the first scripting language ;)

If World Editor had NO GUI at all, the only triggers available were JASS - NOBODY would know JASS except a select few who work at Blizzard. Maybe if they helped some people alot or someone was a program GOD who knew how to determine a function from a variable because of the script used to create the actual game warcraft.

You wouldnt know JASS if there was nothing to base it on, Thats what GUI is. Thats like saying Duke Wintermaul is the best mapper in the world because he came up with TD's. Which he didnt - he based it off another, older map. AND MADE IT BETTER

sqrage

Reaction score
Rad said:
Well put mase EDIT this is to one of his earlier posts, took me awhile to write :p

They learn C++ from the tens of thousands of tutorials out there from the person who created it.

weird, i learned what i know of it from one tutorial and 1 human...

Sargon

Reaction score
Rad said:
They learn C++ from the tens of thousands of tutorials out there from the person who created it, who knew the person who created the first scripting language, to the person who created the computer which was only compatable with the first scripting language ;)

If World Editor had NO GUI at all, the only triggers available were JASS - NOBODY would know JASS except a select few who work at Blizzard. Maybe if they helped some people alot or someone was a program GOD who knew how to determine a function from a variable because of the script used to create the actual game warcraft.

In such a case, those people would probably end up writing tutorials for its use, and it would jsut be like any other GUI-less language.

You wouldnt know JASS if there was nothing to base it on, Thats what GUI is. Thats like saying Duke Wintermaul is the best mapper in the world because he came up with TD's. Which he didnt - he based it off another, older map. AND MADE IT BETTER

OK, think about this. JASS is the language that the game runs on. GUI is a simplified presentation of said language. Therefore, GUI is based off of JASS (I seriously hope that you're not trying to argue that JASS is based off of GUI with your Wintermaul allusion), and is not as powerful as JASS because it's dumbed down to make it more accessible to the average Joe.

It's also not that well created. It leaks a ton (they should have just included the leak-destroying lines in the GUI to begin with), and is inefficient code-wise (and the game translates all GUI into JASS before it runs triggers).

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
sqrage said:
weird, i learned what i know of it from one tutorial and 1 human...
GJ but how long did it take u to learn huh?

Sargon

Reaction score
mase said:

How long did it take you to learn how to write English?

It's a language. Just like any other language. GUI is like one of those French-English phrases books. You can use it for many things, but you can do so much more if you learn how to actually speak French.

Rad

Reaction score
mase said:

Watch him say 10 minutes.

Yes GUI was based off JASS, but when warcraft came out do you really think that there was 1 person who just started making JASS maps? No. Nobody would even know what a trigger was. There would be no tutorials. Blizzard doesnt directly support the editor so I doubt they would have many tutorials. So you would need to know many programming languages to be able to use JASS at all.

Without GUI custom maps wouldnt exist.

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
Sargon said:
How long did it take you to learn how to write English?

It's a language. Just like any other language. GUI is like one of those French-English phrases books. You can use it for many things, but you can do so much more if you learn how to actually speak French.
Yes buts it a complex lang in which every sentence u have to add // and such.

sqrage

Reaction score
mase said:

i would say about 5 months on and off, as it should be for a first programming language,well i think so at least.

anyway back on topic

As Sargon said GUI is based off JASS and therefore JASS is GUI's superior, sure GUI might be easier, but the polls question is which is better.

Rad

Reaction score
GUI is better because if there was no GUI nobody would know JASS because they wouldnt know what a trigger did, how to use it etc.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.