xPheRe

Reaction score
The facts are:
- Lots of GUI people say GUI is better
- Some other GUI people say JASS is better but they are too afraid of it
- All JASS people say JASS is better when making a GREAT map
This leads to... JASS WINS! :D :D

skyrider123 said:
yes but in every tutorial it refers to GUI when describing what the JASS functions do so that is not always correct.
This is because the average warcraft mapper knows about GUI.
Won't it be much more difficult to refer to the related JASS function in every GUI tutorial?

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
Grundy said:
Apparently, some people like memory leaks.
you realise, right, you can use custom scripts to remove leaks with gui?

GUI causes a load of memory leaks. Variables and re-using them without using JASS to clean them off. Certain actions regarding them. All of this builds up as you use a variable over and over again (which, in say an ability-related trigger means everytime you use the ability, you're adding a bit to the problem) until your game starts to lag.

only if u let it...

Vexorian

Why no custom sig?
Reaction score
Oh no, too much to say.

First of all. What's up with the Poll? World Editor VS JASS? JASS is the language used by World Editor to conmunicate to the game. It is possible to learn that language directly and use JASS directly. But World Editor and JASS aren't opposites in fact World Editor wouldn't exist without JASS.

If the real question is GUI vs JASS? well many people say that JASS is better because it can clean memory leaks or because it has local variables.

But actually the good thing about JASS, and the reason GUI sucks hard and must be removed from the phase of the earth. (Consider GUI usage an epidemy that only hurts wc3 modding conmunity) Is:

- That you can create your own Functions !

Yes, functions, you can devide and conquer with JASS, you can simplify a problem and devide it into parts with arguments and results.

GUI can only simulate this by using Run trigger and a lot of global variables, the problem is , obviously that triggers are threaded so a wait in a trigger that is executed by another won't change the execution of the other trigger.

Anyways:

whatever()

It means it is a function without arguments, if blizz didn't use () to differentiate you wouldn't now if you are calling a function or using a variable.

//========================

Note this: ANY THING after // is a comment, they are not meaning ful at all but just help to give the script some decoration or to add explanations. (So //=========== is not something you have to worry about at all)

The awful truth
GUI is just a tool that generates JASS scripts. So you are always using JASS, because of that you can't really hate JASS.

GUI triggers are converted into JASS, It would be a good idea to keep using that but The script generated by GUI trigger sucks, cause it uses bj functions instead of natives, and huge if then else structures inlined in another functions for conditions.

If GUI generated a good piece of code I wouldn't mind.

If anyone experienced a speed incrementation in his map after using the map optimizer with the obfuscation methods, the reason was that GUI is generally slower than JASS, my optimizer tries to replace code that was generated by GUI into a better JASS code.

Anyways, everything is converted to JASS by world editor including positions of units , items, and some of the destructables. IT seems that without JASS the game wouldn't be able to open your map.

Myths:
  • GUI is better because it is easier
  • JASS is better because it is more difficult
  • GUI is easier than JASS: Probably if you want to make small stuff, but if you want to make big things (for example the main feature of your map) JASS is much easier cause it simplifies your code
  • You can do everything in GUI: This might be true, but because you can make your own functions in JASS, it is generally much EASIER to make complex things in JASS than in GUI.
  • You need to know GUI before learning JASS: It is actually easier to learn JASS without knowing GUI, generally to learn JASS you have to unlearn plenty of things you learned in GUI cause they pollute your mind. That's the reason people that got a lot of experience in GUI might find JASS to not be usable enough.
  • You need to know programming to learn JASS: GUI is also a programming language. You can actually learn JASS at the same time you learn programming, and you can learn JASS alone, programming language will appear magically while you learn JASS.
  • You need to know XXXX programming language to learn JASS: This is not true at all.
  • A map is good because it wasn't made in JASS
  • A map is good because it was made in JASS
  • A map is good because it wasn't made in GUI
  • A map is good because it was made in GUI

Anyways having experience with other programming languages would help you learning JASS but it might also be a hazard cause you would find JASS to be really limited, luckily we managed to invent a dummy Object Oriented programming for JASS, and gamecache allows you to invent a lot of things like pointers and that stuff. Without GameCache JASS would be really limited (Anyways GUI has always much more limitations than JASS for obvious reasons)

The only JASS problems
  • You need memory: Yes, but there are ways to get rid of this problem for example using a Jass editor that has a function browser. Or do like me that always have common.j and blizzard.j open in notepad to browse the functions. Of course you need to have the Usual JASS syntax in your memory anyways, but it is not a hell of a problem cause you only need to know like 10 things like:
    • The control estructures (if then elseif else , loop exitwhen endloop)
    • How to declare a function
    • How to declare a global variable
    • How to declare a local variable
    • The operators
    • How to call a function
    • How to use the code type
  • World editor crashes when checking for errors sometimes, this is fixable byu using another program to check for syntax errors.
  • World editor is as good explaining your syntax errors as a confused drunk man: Yes, most of the times it points to the wrong line instead of the one with the error and sometimes confuses the error (for example it says: Expected ' when it meant Expected , . It also sometimes report thousands of errors inevery single line after the only line that has the error. Again using another syntax checker helps

By the way:
you realise, right, you can use custom scripts to remove leaks with gui?

But using the custom script: line is actually using JASS.

Grundy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
vex can you point me in the right direction to where/how game caches can be used? jass.sourceforge.net isnt very helpful with game cache

Vexorian

Why no custom sig?
Reaction score
I would say wc3jass.com

I will soon update the manual. Like I will fix spelling errors in the type casting thing. Then will explain everything that is needed about gamecache and Finally the 'Unofficial Object Oriented JASS guide'

Sargon

Reaction score
Wow, Vex. You just shut down the debate right there. Damn.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Finally! Was waiting for that, now stop arguing and go outside! :)

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
Point taken and well every1 got ownd!

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
To the people who believe that noone would play warcraft without GUI, and the people who believe GUI wouldn't exist without JASS:
Wouldn't that actually be a paradox? Like "Which came first, the chicken, or the egg?" (No not GUI or JASS). I mean that they kind of depend on each other for warcraft maps to be made (For the most part). For example, very few people would have made maps without GUI, and therefore there would be almost no people playing custom games, and without JASS, Warcraft wouldn't function at all. So JASS>GUI.

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
Darthfett said:
To the people who believe that noone would play warcraft without GUI, and the people who believe GUI wouldn't exist without JASS:
Wouldn't that actually be a paradox? Like "Which came first, the chicken, or the egg?" (No not GUI or JASS). I mean that they kind of depend on each other for warcraft maps to be made (For the most part). For example, very few people would have made maps without GUI, and therefore there would be almost no people playing custom games, and without JASS, Warcraft wouldn't function at all. So JASS>GUI.
Dude we figured that out and now we no that JASS is > k we found that out all thanx to Vex.

Pyromancer

Reaction score
sheesh, 8 pages, 110 posts (inclueding mine) and we got right to the place we where at in the beginning (i still dont agree, but what the heck).
man vex, that was powerful, you changed my, life, you have (if i had one) touched my heart

very nice post!

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
Pyromancer said:
sheesh, 8 pages, 110 posts (inclueding mine) and we got right to the place we where at in the beginning (i still dont agree, but what the heck).
Ahh 8 pages, 110 posts all in 2 days! lol

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
Pyromancer said:
man vex, that was powerful, you changed my, life, you have (if i had one) touched my heart

very nice post!
Lol ya thanx (just saw the edit)

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
Pyromancer said:
i know, i wanted to know why skyrider123 lost rep, not that it matters, sigh....
Where are the ppls reps in their Profiles (Veiw Profile)?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.