Which is better? JASS/WE

• JASS

Votes: 21 56.8%
  • World Editor

Votes: 16 43.2%

• Total voters

Penguin-

Reaction score
i have no idea what any of you are talking about (but i voted for WE cos ive heard of it:p)

Peng

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
Penguin- said:
i have no idea what any of you are talking about (but i voted for WE cos ive heard of it:p)

Peng
JASS is core language in which u can script a Warcraft map with.

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
Some clarifications and stuff:

GUI is also a programming language, or more exactly GUI is JASS in a nice scroll down menue. The drawback of this is that the flexibilty of pure jass (that allredy was quit bad) is even worse in gui.

Jass is always going to be better than gui. Read the thing before this.
However if it is easier to learn/use is induvidualy. For me it is easier with jass.

To Rad: When I learnd jass I didnt use that tool, it is now when I become old and lazy I started to use that ^^

Read xPheRe's post carefully.

Everybody that thinks they are good at gui triggering should take a week to learn jass. There is alot of potential people here that are afraid or think that jass cannot improve there triggering and stay at the sucky gui (my oppinion).

I am boooreeeed !

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
JASS gets my vote. even though i cant use it and probably never will. if you really have the time to learn it, use jass.

Pyromancer

Reaction score
i like WE because (in my opinion) its easier to just ook for functions, and it does what i need. also, im jut to lazy to learn jass. i dont want to have to learn hundreds of lines of script, just to do a neat little whatever-you-use-jass-for (probly just save systems, spells, and other hard things).

S

skyrider123

Look at it like this!

When you open a map in world editor is it written in GUI or JASS??

Thats right it's written in GUI 99% of the time, why out of all the maps I have none of them are written in JASS.

So if JASS is soo good why are all the answers to problems with triggers answered in GUI why not give them the code in JASS if it is far superior. :cool:

I have made my own maps and I don't evan know what a local varable is or what a generic player action does. So why the hell would i cosider learning a whole new coding language just to do things i don't evan know what they do! :confused:

GUI is better JASS is usefull but isn't needed... :(

Sargon

Reaction score
Gotta love the vocal minority.

The poll is holding steady at 60/40 favoring JASS, despite the loud protests of the GUI camp.

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
Grundy said:
Apparently, some people like memory leaks.
What do u mean by that?

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
It's obvious.

Or maybe it's obvious that it isn't obvious, regarding your post...

GUI causes a load of memory leaks. Variables and re-using them without using JASS to clean them off. Certain actions regarding them. All of this builds up as you use a variable over and over again (which, in say an ability-related trigger means everytime you use the ability, you're adding a bit to the problem) until your game starts to lag.

Vex and Sud are currently having a Leak Discussion over in Vex's forum. Go check it out if you need a lot more information on the subject, I don't know nearly as much as Vex does.

S

skyrider123

yeah but you still havent explained simply what a memory leak is!!

oh and btw: this is crazy a 4 page debate on what is better..
unless someone can prove to me with real evidence that jass is better not just 30 people OPINIONS i might accept that JASS is better but you havent proved it yet soo GUI for me! :p

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
skyrider123 said:
oh and btw: this is crazy a 4 page debate on what is better..
unless someone can prove to me with real evidence that jass is better not just 30 people OPINIONS i might accept that JASS is better but you havent proved it yet soo GUI for me! :p
Yea about 5 pages in about 1 hour too.

DM Cross

Reaction score
skyrider123 said:
yeah but you still havent explained simply what a memory leak is!!

I have JUST told you I'm not experienced with that sort of thing, so what the bloody hell do you expect me to explain?! :p Go read the conversation I JUST MENTIONED and YOU tell ME what it is! :)

And just so ya know, in 5 pages, you haven't given me any evidence that GUI is better then JASS, so let's not start fighting with double-edged swords, shall we?

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
Alexander said:
I have JUST told you I'm not experienced with that sort of thing, so what the bloody hell do you expect me to explain?! :p Go read the conversation I JUST MENTIONED and YOU tell ME what it is! :)

***And just so ya know, in 5 pages, you haven't given me any evidence that GUI is better then JASS, so let's not start fighting with double-edged swords, shall we?
Yo man were on page 7, so thats in 7 pages they havnt explained it!!

S

skyrider123

And just so ya know, in 5 pages, you haven't given me any evidence that GUI is better then JASS, so let's not start fighting with double-edged swords, shall we?

You haven't given me any either so we are evan. You can't decide what is better just on opinions! :nuts:

DM Cross

Reaction score
Just proves my point more, Mase :p

Dude, you JUST told me no one gave you evidence.

And looking through this a bit, I realize we're both wrong. Evidence was given, just you and I didn't bother to read it.

I think it basically comes down to this:
You either have the patience to learn JASS and prosper from it, or you don't. JASS will give you a cleaner better working game, yes, but GUI is easier and maybe a little better for newer people, or people just not in love with the idea of learning the language.

It's preference, not fact.

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Just proves my point more, Mase :p

Dude, you JUST told me no one gave you evidence.

And looking through this a bit, I realize we're both wrong. Evidence was given, just you and I didn't bother to read it.

I think it basically comes down to this:
You either have the patience to learn JASS and prosper from it, or you don't. JASS will give you a cleaner better working game, yes, but GUI is easier and maybe a little better for newer people, or people just not in love with the idea of learning the language.

It's preference, not fact.
Ya but Rad has proven the point that without gui ppl may not even use JASS. (every1 starts out with GUI!!!)

DM Cross

Reaction score
mase said:
(every1 starts out with GUI!!!)

That's not necessarily true. Programmers may know enough to start without it.

S

skyrider123

yes but in every tutorial it refers to GUI when describing what the JASS functions do so that is not always correct.

I don't think anyone will ever win this because everyone has their own opinions and won't always like the same things, as far as im concerned now this thread is a waste of time and effort and if poeple post anymore they are wasting their time!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.