Sci/Tech 3D Printer DRM Patent To Stop People Downloading a Car

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Well, if we can't listen on it. then we can't say it sounds good.
Thanks for spelling it out for us, FC.

I don't like the idea of this just because I see mankind sort of progressing into the next era of the Age of Technology. With the internet being available to 1/3 of the world's population (that's 2.3 billion or so, which is probably the largest market anywhere), so much information can be input and subsequently accessed by anyone, and more often than not for free. There are already a lot of 'blueprints' for the 3D Printer that are available for free use online, and it just seems like a step in the wrong direction to try to get people to pay for these blueprints after they've already had access to them for free.

Yeah, it's a good business strategy. But it's all about the greed, which is what I feel like we've been starting to move away from, and I think we need to continue in that direction if we're going to salvage our already mangled, hate-filled race.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
They've been saying that since the 1700's. Most of these large corporations are the ones making technology grow though, I don't necessarily like it either, however the fact remains that they do.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Seriously, patents are granted too easily, even on trivial and obvious stuff. Why not change it a bit eh?

Ah, you don't need to thank me. @Fatmankev

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
I don't understand patents in the first place. Why keep to yourself something that would benefit from the masses, for the masses?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand patents in the first place. Why keep to yourself something that would benefit from the masses, for the masses?
The idea behind patents is that if you are an inventor and make a great new idea for a product,
but you have little money to mass produce it and you start small, big companies could just steal your idea, and make huge profits with it and you have nothing.
So if you have a patent on the product you can be the only one producing it. Or even better, you dont do anything at all and let the big companies produce it but they have to pay you for the idea.
The concept is really good. But the execution is lacking.
Patents are given too easily for "inventions" which arent really incredibly innovative or just to broad.
If i would patent the "smartphone" for example. A smartphone is not really an invention.
It uses many other things which were already there, its just an improvement of a cell phone combined with computer hardware and software.
It may be innovative but not worth a patent. (in my opinion)

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
If any invention gets very popular, it should belong in the public domain, like the shape of the tires, or the wall of a building.

What I mean, is that if an invention brought along common sense (i.e., someone sees a car tire, they can use their knees to think that is a car tire.), it shouldn't be patented, but rather make it available to benefit the public. Or maybe, make the said invention be protected, like a work of art, such as Mona Lisa.

Varine

Reaction score

Money.

Mona Lisa doesn't get patents. Art gets copyrighted.

Varine

Reaction score
Copyrights are a totally different form.

Varine

Reaction score
Not really. Copyrights are IP; patents kind of cover it, but the concept is still open. Like I can make an invention and patent it, and then you can make something that does the exact same thing but change a few items on it in such a way that it doesn't conflict directly with my patent. Copyright, on the other hand, is mostly gray area and it's like "Well his idea was really similar to mine and I think he stole it."

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
you_wouldn_t_download_a_car_Wallpaper__yvt2.jpg

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
It's not technologically beyond us. Just expensive.

This is true, but it has dropped a huge amount in recent years. It has a long ways to go, to be practical for most uses. But Its interesting non the less.

Varine

Reaction score
Well yeah, if you're talking about things like an actual car. The at-home versions are useful for making little physical replicas of models, and that's about it. But if you were to get a CNC or something, which technically is still a 3D printer even though they work differently than the typical concept of them, you could assuming it was big enough. Like I've made guns and shit on my little CNC I have. They weren't very good guns, but hey, they worked for a few rounds. I don't think it would be out of my range to make a vehicle of some sort. Maybe not a full sized car that I can drive around or anything, but I could build a motor or something if I had the time/motivation to do it and assemble it.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
actually, that brings up a good point - being able to re-create a knob or dial/etc. perfectly would be a very nice option to have (especially for cheap plastic ones that break) - or a bumper, etc.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    I ordered like five blocks for 15 dollars. They're just little aluminum blocks with holes drilled into them
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits
  • Varine Varine:
    I see that, despite your insistence to the contrary, we are becoming a recipe website
  • Varine Varine:
    Which is unique I guess.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.