50 triggers vs 1 trigger?

sithin

Reaction score
ok this is for the gui's (and b4 u start flaming me and say nether learn jass, i am allready)

ok is it better for in terms of lag, smoothness, and map size.
to have 1 massivly long IF AND function with heaps of variables and loops
or to have 50 triggers that does the same thing.
or should i just meet half way and have 10 if functions?

sithin

Reaction score
cos its pritty much all to do with trackables and the way it can only be dun with out "seting variables" is to have 1 trigger per person per trackable wich in its self leads to... like.... 200+ triggers...

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you're going to have 1 giant trigger, with every event, and ifs checking which event triggered it, then checking for ability IDs, units, etc.
Then no. It's rubbish.

One trigger per event is a pretty good idea, though it's very ugly to use.
You could try GTrigger out. Look for it in Tutorials and Resources.

sithin

Reaction score
thanks yeah ill check it out, na the only thing is the trackables that i will have to do one by one (pain in the ass) the rest i run thru small loops.
i just wana see wich one will create more lag and map kb

emilemil1

Reaction score
I have never reached the size cap (4mb right?) when making full scaled maps. Just avoid to many imported stuff and you will do fine with tons of triggers. (I am atm with well over 100 triggers on the map I am currently working on, and it downloads in about 5-20 seconds when compressed. :D

sithin

Reaction score
its an rpg, so i plan to forever expand and update it, each time would make the size bigger and bigger so why not start minimizn now and not have to run back over everything again.

emilemil1

Reaction score
If it is an rpg, triggers will be your least memory issue.

It will be doodads and units (if preplaced) that will be an issue. You can save memory by placing destructibles and unit on startup using triggers. Also skins and custom models/loading screens takes up space. Many rpgs have imported stuff using 1/4 to half of their memory usage.

Rpgs are usually not using tons of triggers, mostly the triggers made in the beginning. Then perhaps if you add a few teleporting/trap/boss/dungeon triggers. But none of that can be so massive that it takes of alot of memory.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.