A combination between an rpg and aos?

crazyfanatic

Reaction score
So i wanted to hear some comments about my map project - combining an ORPG with an AOS map. This includes an enhanced AOS map with unlockable quests, mini arenas and very powerful upgrades for all the creeps and towers. The gameplay will be defined by a command /basic game or a full game/. I have already started a thread with the map, but pls comment.

http://www.epicwar.com/maps/127745/

Zwiebelchen

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
So i wanted to hear some comments about my map project - combining an ORPG with an AOS map. This includes an enhanced AOS map with unlockable quests, mini arenas and very powerful upgrades for all the creeps and towers. The gameplay will be defined by a command /basic game or a full game/. I have already started a thread with the map, but pls comment.
And where's the thread? You should give a link. And besides: If you already got a thread for it, why do you open a new one? o_O

@ your idea:
Dunno. I can't imagine how this would work. AoS and RPGs are - if you ask me - not compatible with each other.
And I know that it would be easy to just add Quests to AoS maps and make them trigger something that helps invading the other town (kinda like the quests of Alterac Valley in WoW) ... but that is not RPG, if you ask me. It's just ... quests.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Save&load codes + PvP combat is something that can not be made to work really. At leats I personally see too many ways for it to fail and too little possibilities for it to actually work.

Nothing stops you trying of course. Thats, after all, the only way to really find out.

( But still, I think its really fucking bad idea )

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
Save&load codes + PvP combat is something that can not be made to work really. At leats I personally see too many ways for it to fail and too little possibilities for it to actually work.

Nothing stops you trying of course. Thats, after all, the only way to really find out.

( But still, I think its really fucking bad idea )

I dont think he mentioned a save/load. But if he does, maybe it wont store levels?

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
I thought ORPG means that theres save&load.

And no, it wont work. It simply sucks too much to start playing against opponent who has a level advantage.

Ive player one AoS like this. It worked mostly because levels had only a little effect to Heros power. But then again, whats the point of levels if they dont really have any effect?

It just wont work. It does work in WoW in some battle grounds where mad koreans whon play 24 hours per day wanna compete with each other, but that is because there is so much more in WoW to do.

Doing a map which is completely based on this idea would be a really bad idea. It could be a side feature in some RPG map maybe, but not the concept.

HeX.16

Isn't Trollin You Right Now
Reaction score
Maybe an ORPG with a quest like an AoS which you dont carry over levels? Like every 15 mins you can meet at a point for a "dota" lol. And you do quests to unlock items and get gold. Make it so levels carry over and gold(maybe).

Zwiebelchen

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
You could do something like this:

As Hex.16 proposed, make some time based events that block the PVP combat for a while (for example the chokepoints of the maps are flooded with water) and then give the players like 10 minutes to do quests that improve their army, etc. until the flooding vanishs ...
I wouldn't add Save/load. It would totally disrupt balance in PvP.

crazyfanatic

Reaction score
I thought ORPG means that theres save&load.

correct!

It simply sucks too much to start playing against opponent who has a level advantage.

The Save\Load will be acrivated by a mode command, that will ask ALL the players if they aggree to load characters. If any of them declines, the load will simply not be available. And when all codes are loaded, depending on the advantages of any unbalanced characters, all the levels and some of the items will be rebalansed to avoid any too bad disbalances.

Maybe an ORPG with a quest like an AoS which you dont carry over levels? Like every 15 mins you can meet at a point for a "dota" lol. And you do quests to unlock items and get gold. Make it so levels carry over and gold(maybe).

Somthing like that. Most of the quests will require the whole team to help, and some of the quests will be done by making all players allies against one very strong boss (giving rewards for each % of max hp of the boss done as damage). During quests, requiring a whole team to be unavailable will make towers invuilnerable for both teams, avoiding people winning against noone.

And a little about the PVP... It will be like a small arena, where you can challenge an opponent to fight with him. In those arenas there are going to bee strong bosses too. Those bosses can be killed for some items.

HeX.16

Isn't Trollin You Right Now
Reaction score
correct!

The Save\Load will be acrivated by a mode command, that will ask ALL the players if they aggree to load characters. If any of them declines, the load will simply not be available. And when all codes are loaded, depending on the advantages of any unbalanced characters, all the levels and some of the items will be rebalansed to avoid any too bad disbalances.

Sounds like to much work. But if you can do it DO IT!!

crazyfanatic

Reaction score
The work is really much, but i have almost everything in my head... All i need is much time. And now i have fixed mu bug with the non-working multiplayer and fron 1st April I am starting to prepare the heroes. I just wanted to know if it is useful to make a combination like this, thanks for all the comments.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
It kinda looses its purpose IMO.

The reason wy people play multi player rpgs such as WoW, is because they wanna be better than others, have more levels and cooler items. Be able to defeat everyone else.

( Of course there is also other aspects as well, such as when you want to do stuff together with your friends, raid some creatures lair, or something, but we dont talk about this right now )

Now, if you balance items and levels, these people feel like you took away the hard work they have done when developing their character.

Then again, if you dont do it, you simply cant create working game for wc3, unless you can somehow build big enough player base, which is kinda hard because wc3 doesnt have too many players anymore. Its only DotA today, really. Youd have to have somekind of ladder thingy for different levels, kinda like those battle grounds in WoW. Some stuff like that.

So, in other words: Its gonna be damn difficult thing to pull together.

crazyfanatic

Reaction score
I aggree completely about the hard work, but the purpose I want to make it, is that people don't need to play the same old story, starting from level one with the same amount of gold. In such cases, no matter if the map has hundreds of heroes, it just reaches the point of casualness. A good character (if I do it) will be possible to create for about 5-6 hours of game (MP only) so if you choose to play with loading, you aggre to possibly lower your hero's advantages (or raise them). Of course a good map with balanced heroes and items (like DotA) can also be often played. But the question is - has the casual AoS map even the chance to be so played as DotA? Most of the people will just say "The next pathetic crap!" or just "Damn DotA, i hate DotA!". So a normal AoS map has no chances. If you have any better ideas, i would really like to hear them.

And the purpose I think about a Save\Load system is just that WHO THE HELL WILL PLAY 4 HOURS OF AOS???????

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
DotA has a bigger player base than wc3, so even if you made a map that is better in terms of popularity it would not became more popular than DotA.

Also DotA is not balanced. It just works because the community knows what stuff is good and what stuff is bad.

And the purpose I think about a Save\Load system is just that WHO THE HELL WILL PLAY 4 HOURS OF AOS???????

Id rather eliminate the early game and make Heroes start with 5 ability points so they can start real combat without having to level first.
Aim for short, 30 minute intense games with loads of PvP combat and as little PvE combat as possible.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.