About hashtables

Rushhour

Reaction score
Hm, maybe because using arrays is faster. (see structs/2D arrays)
But its pretty easy to use them (e.g. having the handle Id of the unit as a parent key) and to store a lot of data.

Teach101

Reaction score
Hm, maybe because using arrays is faster. (see structs/2D arrays)
But its pretty easy to use them (e.g. having the handle Id of the unit as a parent key) and to store a lot of data.

I know how to use them, just before I use them I would like to know why they have been frowned down upon. Is the arrays faster in the since of making them, or in the since of processing during the game? If it's the second one, then how big of a problem is that?

Rushhour

Reaction score
I never did a benchmark myself, nor did I see one. But I heard it from a lot of people and it's really understandable why this is the case. A hashtable is a much bigger data storage system.
The biggest advantage really is that you can store all types of handles (and also go above the 8130 limit? )

An array has only one type, but it's a much smaller package of information.

However, I don't encounter any problems using hashtables. They are pretty fast, faster than gamecache (which does pretty much the same thing) and easy to use.

Which one is easier to "make" is up to you. Depends on what you are doing :D

Teach101

Reaction score
Kay thanks. +rep.

And yeah, they can go past the 8000 w/e limit, but the limit was never a problem because you can use a if then else.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.