Adding a Missile to Forked Lightning

UberNoober

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a Multi-Shot ability like the Hunter's in WoW and I'm using Forked Lightning as a base. I've taken the lightning effects out, but I can't seem to add missiles with any success.

Any help would be very much appreciated :)

iPeez

Hot food far all world wide!
Reaction score
Do not use forked, you have to use Barrage:

Here is a guide :thup:

EDIT:

The forked lighting will jump between units, like n arrow was going throught multiply units. That doesn't looks really cool.
Read the guide over :D

UberNoober

Reaction score
Barage will give me a passive ability not an active one which is what I'm trying to get. I want a click to use ability that fires a shot at the target, and at two other mobs close to the target.

Forked Lightning does exactly what I want, it's just that I can't get it to display a missile graphic in place of the old lightning.

I think you were thinking of chain lightning and not forked lightning for the bouncing from enemy to enemy thing.

jnZ

I
Reaction score
i think you have to trigger this because you cant change fork lightning like you desire

darkRae

Ueki Fan (Ueki is watching you)
Reaction score
You would have to trigger the ability.

Here are some clues :
-- pick your target
-- pick units near the target
-- create dummies (with Spell attack-type Missile weapon-type No sound and some projectile)
-- order them to attack

AdamGriffith

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
You could just make a dummy ability.
Then make a dummy unit that has an attack that does damage.
Then in a trigger.
Unit casts ability
Ability equal to your dummy abilty
Create 1 dummy
Expiration timer
Add barrage
Order to attack target unit of ability
(This should hopefully attack multiple targets)

That should be it.

UberNoober

Reaction score
At the risk of living up to my name, I have to admit I don't know anything about dummies and what they are. I have been making maps for quite some time (unsuccessfully) but am mainly self-taught and don't venture into forums and the like too often.

I'll have a look into it though, and thankyou for the help :)

Exfyre

hmm...
Reaction score
dummy units are units that can not be detected, selected, or manipulated by the user. This tutorial will guide u through making a dummy unit. Make sure to make your dummy unit ranged & have attack = 1dmg.

Object Editor:
After you finish the dummy, create an ability based off of Barrage. Give it the number of levels your spell has. Modify the damage bonuses to match the amount of damage your spell does minus one (-1). Then, set the number of targets (take what value you put in the blank and add 2 to it, and that's how many targets it will hit). Set maximum damage. set the Area of Effect to the range of the dummy unit(which should have the range of the casting unit). Set all the durations to one second. and i think that's it.. whoops, nope EDIT: for missle Art set it to the one that looks like missles.

Triggers:
Event:
Unit Casts Spell
Condition:
Spell Being Cast = (your caster's spell here)
Actions:
Create One (Dummy Caster) for Owner of Unit (Trigger Unit)
Order (Last Created Unit) to attack (Target unit of ability being cast)
Remove (Last Created Unit) from the game

UberNoober

Reaction score
Thanks for the help so far guys. I'm still having a little issue with it though. I made my trigger up just like you said but it turns out my unit gets spawned, but will not attack.

Also, is there any way of basing the damage on the Hero's damage with a bonus rather than just a set damage while still having it as an active ability instead of a passive.

Dameon

"All the power in the world resides in the eyes"
Reaction score
Hmm why hasn't squishy posted with his spell books yet? Opps I mean squissy, can't start spelling his name right. :)

Exfyre

hmm...
Reaction score
when using barrage, using the damage property adds that amount of damage to the units attack. for example, setting Damage to 0 will make all extra attacks do the same damage as the normal attack of the unit.

UberNoober

Reaction score
Yes I understand how Barrage works, but in an ideal world this is how I want my ability to work.

Hero clicks Multi-Shot.
Hero Targets an Enemy.
Hero shoots 3 arrows, one hitting enemy, 2 hitting mobs close to the enemy.
Damage is Hero's Normal Damage + x

Barrage is a passive ability, and so far the way I have been told to work around that is to spawn a dummy unit quickly to attack for me, giving that the barrage ability. However, this would mean the attack damage is based on the dummy unit and not my own.

Also as stated before I am having the problem of getting the dummy unit to spawn, but it isn't attacking.

undead_me77

Reaction score
My idea is that when the unit activates multi shot, a trigger gives the unit Barrage-type ability. When that unit attacks the next enemy, his attack will take on the effect of barrage - once this happens, just remove the barrage ability with a trigger. Although this way you can not click the ability and click a target - it will simply make the unit's next attack a multi shot.

edit: and base the actual multi-shot spell that the unit will use off an ability with no target.
Code:
You could even base it off immolate/mana shield/invulnerable pally shield ect.
The units activates the ability, give the unit barrage.
Unit is attacked
Attacking unit = our unit
set BarrageAttacks = BarrageAttacks + 1
If BarrageAttacks = 2 then do
Issue order with no target - Deactivate immolate/mana shield ect...

Make a trigger that when the unit deactivtaes an ability and the ability is multi-shot
Remove Barrage from our unit
set BarrageAttacks = 0

Need to use that variable to check, as if you simply remove barrage on the first attack, our unit will not gain the effects of barrage for that attack (i think). So on it's second attack barrage is removed.
This also allows you to have multiple levels of Multi-shot allow for more barrage attacks before it is deactivated.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.