AOE Hex

ivankaiba

Reaction score
I want to make the spell called "Hex" an AOE ability without targeting, i mean like this "Transforms nearby enemies into frogs, rendering them unable to attack or cast spells for 10 sec." So when the ability is casted all units around the caster to be transofrmed. How can i do that?

Here is the link to the ability i want to make, if this will help you - http://www.wowhead.com/spell=16097

Tnaks in advance.:)

neckcuttabob

Reaction score
Make a dummy spell, like channel, for the user of the AOE Hex.

Make a dummy unit and give it hex from in game.

Make a trigger that causes a copy of the dummy unit to be made for each unit within the range you want and tell it to cast the spell on them. Have the trigger finish out by killing the units spawned to hex people.

Ashlebede

Reaction score
Have the trigger finish out by killing the units spawned to hex people.

Just so there is no confusion :

Trigger:
  • Unit - Add a 2.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)

ivankaiba

Reaction score
Probably i'll need something like vdeo guide or detailed description cuz i am not good at triggering and didn't understand most of the things

Bogrim

y hello thar
Reaction score
What the other posters mean to say is that while Hex cannot be casted in an area of effect, you can create a "dummy" unit for each unit that has to be affected to cast the spell.

A dummy unit is like any other unit, except that its attack and collusion has been disabled, its model isn't set to anything and it has the "Locust" ability that makes it invulnerable and able to move through obstacles.

The idea is to create a dummy unit with a trigger for each unit, give the dummy unit your ability and make the dummy unit cast the spell on its target. To do this, you have to:

1. Set the point variable for the target location of your area of effect.
2. Create a unit group that picks all the units that need to be affected.
3. Pick all units in the group to create a loop of actions for each unit.
4. Set the point variable for the picked unit's position to create a dummy unit on its spot.
5. Create the dummy unit.
6. Add an expiration timer to the dummy unit.
7. Add the ability to the dummy unit.
8. Order the dummy unit to cast the Hex ability.

For example:
Trigger:
  • Mass Hex Trigger
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Mass Hex
    • Actions
      • Set Temp_Point = (Target point of ability being cast)
      • Set Temp_Group = (Units within 512.00 of Temp_Point matching (((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) Equal to True))
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation( udg_Temp_Point )
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in Temp_Group and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set Temp_Point = (Position of (Picked unit))
          • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Unit for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at Temp_Point facing Default building facing degrees
          • Unit - Add a 2.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
          • Unit - Add Hex to (Last created unit)
          • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Orc Shadow Hunter - Hex (Picked unit)
          • Custom script: call RemoveLocation( udg_Temp_Point )
      • Custom script: call DestroyGroup( udg_Temp_Group )

If this still is confusing to you, I recommend you read some of the site's beginner tutorials on the trigger editor to better understand how triggering itself works.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.