World At least 14 confirmed dead after an illegal open-pit gold mine collapses in Venezuela

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
LA PARAGUA, Venezuela (AP) — The collapse of an illegally operated open-pit gold mine in central Venezuela killed at least 14 people and injured several more, state authorities said Wednesday, as some other officials reported an undetermined number of people could be trapped.

Bolivar state Gov. Angel Marcano told local reporters that 14 bodies had been removed so far and authorities knew of at least 11 people injured.

“We continue to carry out rescue work,” he said, with relatives demanding swift rescue efforts.

The accident took place in the Angostura municipality Tuesday, when a wall collapsed at a mine known as Bulla Loca, which can only be reached by an hours-long boat ride.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score

Families bid farewell to miners killed in Venezuela’s worst mining accident in years​

LA PARAGUA, Venezuela (AP) — Families and friends began burying loved ones on Thursday who were among at least 16 people killed in the collapse of an illegally operated gold mine in a remote area of central Venezuela.

The tributes come as anger mounts at the government’s slow response helping the injured and recovering bodies from Tuesday’s accident — one of the worst in a poorly regulated mining industry that has soared as the OPEC nation’s oil production dwindled.

As mourners filled the cemetery in La Paragua, the community closest to the remote mine, dozens of residents gathered outside a restaurant where they believed the state’s governor was dining. The group demanded to speak with Ángel Marcano, an ally of President Nicolás Maduro, and at one point, banged on a sport utility vehicle parked outside. Intelligence service agents with assault weapons and police responded to the scene.

“It’s a vile lie,” yelled Yulimar Soto, referring to the death count announced by officials. “We are asking for help, from the gringos, from anyone, from the Russians, from anyone. I don’t know who to contact. Please do something for us.”

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.