Athelor ORPG!

The Big S

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

None of you probably know me..I am pretty new to this site, but not new to the World Editor :p Anyways, I am very happy to announce my latest work in progress, Athelor oRPG! :)

Now I'm sure you're thinking, "oh great, *another* oRPG"...I know I probably would be if I were in your position. However, I've learned from playing countless Warcraft III role playing games about what things are common, and I've always thought, "Well, what if they put _____ into the game.. It'd be so much more fun."

I have been working for the past few weeks on a completely original oRPG of mine based in a land called Athelor. So far, there are alot of very neat and uncommon (Some probably never even tried/thought of) things in the game.) Now yes, some of the concepts I borrowed from World of Warcraft, but most of them were inspired by my imagination :p

Some of these include:

- Not one, but up to *two* proffesions for each player's character. (One major proffesion and one minor proffesion that supports it.)

- Quests! That's right, dynamic quests that only the player who actually talks to the quest giver will receive. Everything from killing forest trolls to finding enchanted obelisks, to even killing insanely strong bosses in groups.

- A very unique Player Owned Housing system, designed with giving benefits to the owner, while still keeping the game's environment nice and uncrowded.

- Many villages and cities, each with their own shops, ammenities, homes for sale, and graveyards.

- Speaking of graveyards, YOU get to choose where you spawn. There are graveyards in almost every village/town, allowing you to bind your character in the most convenient location.

- Many custom items, all balanced for players' enjoyment of the game.

- No godlike items. It's an RPG ment to be played over time. It's not much fun for you or the other players if someone can get a +50,000 damage item at level 3, or become a demi-god an hour into the game.

- Who will you fight for, the Alliance, or the Horde? Two factions add alot of diversity into the game.

- Battlegrounds with goal-oriented objectives, that allow players of the Horde and players of the Alliance to battle it out against eachother.

- Stunning terraining, which leaves not even the smallest area undetailed.

- Over 10 different custom heroes for each faction.

- Smooth transition between areas, including a notifier if you have crossed into enemy territory or a new region of Athelor. Gone are the days of walking out of an enchanted forest and finding yourself in a barren desert.

- A PvP Honor System! Yep, get points for wackin' enemy players and NPC's. But remember, if you kill a civilian, it's a dishonorable kill!

- Use the afore mentioned honor points to purchase factional equipment to help you in the fight for Athelor.

- An interesting bank system. Haven't worked out item storage yet, but you can store up to 3,000 gold in your bank, and withdraw it at any time.

- I don't know about you guys, but I don't really like seeing constant "-repick", "-open", "-read", etc. messages on my screen when I'm trying to play and concentrate. Kinda ruins the mood of the game. That's why for the most part, Athelor oRPG uses Dialog boxes for most actions.

- Just like any good oRPG, Athelor has creeps with special item drops which respawn. These items do not drop every single kill though, so you'll have to work if you want some "phat lewt"

- The Save/Load code is currently in the works, but will be ready to go very soon.

-------

The story of Athelor is based somewhat on Warcraft..

A good time before Arthas turned to a deathknight, there was a small Alliance navy convoy on their way back from Theramore. A strong storm, later known as the Maelstrom, blew their ships far off course, away from known Azeroth. On their 5th day of sailing blindly without any known landmarks to guide them, one of the sailors spotted land.

The ships landed and set up camp, while debating what course of action to take to find their home....days grew to weeks, weeks grew to months, months grew to years, and soon, a small village was formed. Over the next few years, the villagers found that they were not alone in this land.

Scouts had reported Orcs on the other side of what they called "Bloodspire Valley". Tensions grew, and soon, fear overwhelmed the settlers...Almost daily, groups of the villagers would pack their belongings, and travel through the dangerous forest they called "Avhel" in search of a safer area to settle. One of these such groups, settled North of the Lerohn River. They named their village "Iridus".

Many of these villages did not survive long..The orcs had been on the island longer, and had much larger settlements and more knowledge of the land. They became known as the Horde, as they travelled in large raiding groups, pillaging any human villages they found.

10 years later, and both of the factions are at the height of their expanse. The city of Iridus is a haven for traders and citizens alike. Because of the Lehron River's natural defenses, Iridus has been able to withstand all Horde raids on their borders. Because of this, it is now the main bastion of the Alliance presence on Iridus.

As a member of either the Alliance, or the Horde, it is your goal to strengthen your faction's hold on Athelor, whether it be by exploration, combat, or anything else. Athelor is yours to discover....

-----

If you haven't fallen asleep by now, ( :p ) if you are interested in Athelor oRPG, please visit the official site located here

---

Currently Athelor is in closed Alpha testing, with only a few highly trusted people testing the daily changes. However, closed beta is scheduled to begin by the end of this month, so sign up for it on the official site if you'd like to be included (first come, first serve).

---

So yep, that's about it, just wanted to let you guys know of this upcoming release!

UPDATE: Demo Information Screens

featuresdemo.png

proffesionsdemo.png

P

Pawnable

Impressive screenshots/tile arrangement/doodad placement. But is the game worth playing?
Maybe you can realease a beta version soon?

The Big S

Reaction score
Well, as soon as I can get the rest of the land made (Currently about 30% done), add in about 30 more quests, add in 6 more proffesions, add more items, get more creatures, and all that good stuff.. Then, yep, I'll get a beta version out ASAP :)

By the way: Those are old screenshots, before I did a bunch of the more detailed work (especially in wetlands/Arvale)

Many thanks for the compliments :)

P

Pawnable

Great. Then show us your improved and new screenshots in this thread. :)

Mullit

Reaction score
im working on a similar map at the moment. ive played many rpgs on bnet and thought this rpg would be better if it had xxxxxx like xxxx rpg. so i decideed to mkae an rpg with all the good bits from the rpgs.

at the moment i have about 60-70% of the terraining done but very little triggering so it looks like you are ahead of me with progress. good luck with the rest of the project. I will look forward to the release of your rpg and it will be interesting to see how different it is from mine.

The Big S

Reaction score
Update: The proffesions are working like a charm... I'll upload screenies and perhaps a movie of the proffesions and such in a bit :D

P

Pawnable

Impressive for a so called newb.
O.K. storyline.
I look foward to play this game. :shades:

The Big S

Reaction score
Alright, I added some stuff to the original post near the bottom, that give a bit more insight on the game and its features :)

The Big S

Reaction score
Alright...well today I spent about 7 hours straight on the game...got a bunch of important stuff done...

I'm thinking of releasing a demo version for people so that they can get a taste... if I do, it will include:

- 5 classes for each Alliance and Horde
- Access to one major boss encounter
- Access to about 10 questes
- Access to the bank (Not sure if I'll keep the bank system or not)
- Access to the following proffesions: Mining, Armorsmithing, Tailoring

I'll probably make the demo single player, and then I'll release a multiplayer version (difference will be that on single player, for the boss fight and such, I give you some NPC heroes to help out, while in the multi player version, you have to get real players to help)

What do you guys think? Would you be interested in trying it if I did?

The Big S

Reaction score
Well, there is a slight change in the way the game works...

I have been thinking long and hard about how to make the game a little more interesting, and I have come up with a way..

It has to do with classes...It is a bit close to some of the systems in some MMORPGs...basically, you start off as a Novice. You are a novice up through level 20. When you hit level 20, you go and see a Class Trainer and receive your mid level class (A choice of four classes: Mage, Rogue, Warrior, Cleric). You play out that class (each class has different abilities, all custom) from level 21 to level 40. At level 40, you get to choose your final class (end-game class). This is where the real diversity begins. Each of the four mid-classes branches off into 3 "elite" classes.

For example:

Lvl 1-20 Lvl 21-40 Lvl 41-60

|------> Barbarian
|---> Warrior -|------> Paladin
| |------> ???
|
| |------> Necromancer
|---> Mage -|------> Warlock
| |------> Wizard
|
| |------> ???
Novice|---> Rogue -|------> Assasin
| |------> Archer
|
| |------> Monk
|---> Cleric -|------> Priest
| |------> ???
|
| |------> Tailor/Enchanter
|---> Artisan -|------> Blacksmith/Miner
|------> Alchemist/Herblore

Each class will have probably around 8 unique abilities, each with 3+ ranks. I will definately plan on adding more class choices, but for now, I'm shooting to have 1 Novice (finished), 5 Mid-Classes, and 15 Elite Classes (3 for each mid-class)

* Novices allow you to experience a bit of each profession.

** Artisan is the crafting route: It dabbles in a bit of everything (tailoring, mining, smithing, scribing). Not only will crafters be a large part of the player economy in terms of equipment, but they will also be required in some quests (some quests will require a certain ingrediant that only crafters can obtain, as well as some quests where a specific type of crafter is needed to produce an item). Artisans and crafter elite professions will have very basic and limited combat spells; their item-creating skills are their main focus.

So, because of this big change, I need some creative thinking on the part of the TheHelper.net community! The class options with "???" are open for ideas and suggestions, so if any of you have ideas, please reply back :) Thanks!

M

MCV

IRT Above: No.

I would suggest that the Zealot is the most combat oriented of the later religious classes. I would believe that the Monk specializes in prayers, the Priest in healing, while the Zealot goes for fanatical combat.

For abilities, here are my ideas.

Devotion: The Zealot is fully devoted to his cause, not letting death come in his way. Ignoring pain and danger, the Zealot goes crazy. Basically, more attack speed and/or damage, immunity to fear, confusion, or whatever other mind affecting spells you include, but takes more damage or get a lover armor value. Not passive.

Fanatical: The Zealot knows he cannot live forever, so he put a blessing upon himself that makes him die dealing "holy" damage. (I would suggest double damage against demons and/or undead) Passive, activated upon death.

Prayer (1): The Zealot prepares for combat by praying. Sitting still for a while whilst praying. After praying, the Zealot gains a combat bonus (HP, damage, speed, whatever you want)

Prayer (2): The Zealot will sometimes meet forces to strong for him to defeat by his bare hands. In such cases, he will pray for his deity to help him out (Get really creative here, lightning from the sky? Earthquakes? The clue here is to find out what kind of deity the Zealot serves.)

These are all I got, I will post some more if I can think of them.

The Big S

Reaction score
Wow, those are really good :) I will definately use most of those in the Zealot class, and I will add you to the credits list :)

The Big S

Reaction score
I've got ya on the list :)

Thanks everyone for the continued support -- I'll have a demo out soon with some of the features, as a little enticement before the beta :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.