Banning Smoking in Public Places

Matemeo

Reaction score
The reason drinking alcohol was allowed was because of freedom of religion if you can't smoke marijuana but your religion requires you to, is that illegal?

There is some Indian tribe, I'm having a hard time remembering which one, who got permission from the U.S. government to smoke peyote during religious periods.

I can't remember where I heard this, clarification would be good.

Also, yes 1920's Prohibition, the rise of organized crime :)

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
When did the consitution come in from?
The government gives and takes the "rights" when it wants to, or when there's a "threats".

And if it was for religious purposes... ok.. What about cults? When they sacrifice animals and people? It's for a religion... loophole that :D

undeadorcjerk

The Ulitimate TheHelper.net Lurker
Reaction score
I say that a public smoking ban isn't enough, they need to ban smoking all together. But government can't ban in private places cause then people would smuggle it and it would be the drinking probation era all over again.

For now its a nail in the coffin of the smoking compaines. But i hope this starts the path to end smoking once and for all.

esb

Reaction score
Ending smoking can't, and will never happen.

Marijuana (non-medical) is illegal, and you can smoke it, and get it from almost anywhere (In L.A. at least)

btw... some dude tried to sell me some cigs on the street some time ago :p lol

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
Oh boy, TH.net vs Rheias. :p

> As brought up in the headline news topic, what about the waiters/waitresses?

It's their job, not every job is perfect, don't like it, don't be a waiter. Further more, non-smoking waiters can try to serve only the non-smoking tables, and if they are forced to serve smoking tables, then make it quick. It is not like they are going to sit there for hours breathing the smoke.

> Rhe, no matter where you smoke in a building, the smell will travel. It will get in everyones clothing, it will get in all the furniture.

Then buildings should have certain places made especially for smoking with big wondiws and sealed doors.

>It ain't in the contstitution You have no "right" to actually smoke.

Nothing to do with contstitution, the fact is, smoking is like eating. You can put whatever you want in your mouth. What I do suggest though, sense smoking can kill people that don't smoke, is that a new law comes up stating every building must have a special place for people to smoke in.

esb

Reaction score
>don't like it, don't be a waiter.

Great point. Don't like something? Boycott it. If restaurant owners see they have no waiters because of the smokers, I assure you they will ban smoking, or disallow it in certain/most areas of the restaurant/place.

And like you said, don't like it(ban)? Don't smoke.

>You can put whatever you want in your mouth.

Haha, tell that to the pedophiles.

>a new law comes up stating every building must have a special place for people to smoke in.

So now people must adjust and serve the needs and useless necessities of the causers of lung cancer? Just for their need?

It seems you have never been next or around a smoker... They ARE annoying, especially when their smell is on the clothes, and they aren't even smoking... bleh.

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
> I assure you they will ban smoking, or disallow it in certain/most areas of the restaurant/place.

Let them, as long as it is not national.

> Haha, tell that to the pedophiles.

There IS a slight difference.

> So now people must adjust and serve the needs and useless necessities of the causers of lung cancer? Just for their need?

They are part of society. Actually they are a big part of society. Yes, you must serve their needs.

> It seems you have never been next or around a smoker

Half of my family used to smoke.

esb

Reaction score
A part of society that doesn't do any benefit.

Teenagers are a big part of society, no one serves our needs.

BlightWarden

Reaction score
in all public places there should be smoking sections. smoking indoors where others can be affected by the smell is not considerate. i am a smoker, and i support banning indoor smoking when dealing with public places.

But. places like amusement parks, hotels, apartment buildings, job sites, beaches and colleges should have sections for smokers outside, most places do but they have no thought going into rain, high winds or over crowding.

as a smoker i do not want to be standing near a dumpster smelling garbage, i do not want to get rained on, i do not want to fight the wind to keep my smoke lit. i want to be able to relax while i smoke to fully enjoy the effect, otherwise i will end up smoking more than 1 ciggerette.

Also if i want to sit in my car or my apartment or hotel room and smoke, thats my own buisness and i do not want people trying to tell me how it bothers them.

I am addicted to ciggerettes otherwise i would quit. i can not wait more than 2 hours to have a smoke without having side effects, I.E, mood change, anxiety. i can sit through a movie at the theater but thats about it.

As a smoker i never smoke near other peoples apartments, i hold my smoke in and hold my ciggerette behind my back while passing someone walking on the same side walk as me, i pull my arm in when at a stop light and next to other cars. but i have noticed not very many people show the same considerations.

Also many non smokers get a really bad additude towards smokers before even asking them to move away from them. all that does is cause the smoker to puff smoke directly at the non smoker. so consideration breeds consideration, and lashing out breeds more lashing out.

I support non smoking buildings, but not non smoking grounds where you can't even smoke outside.

esb

Reaction score
BlightWarden brings a good point, from a different perspective.

It's true, many people are in-considerate. Maybe, just maybe, if smokers (some/most) where more considerate, people wouldn't mind much. I know I wouldn't. But not everyone is as considerate as BlightWarden.

Smoking inside isn't nice. Especially when the place isn't big (like an apartment). But if it's your place, your car, etc., then sure go ahead. But when you're in a restaurant, trying to eat, but can't because of the smoke, it's hard to be polite to someone being polite. Although I personally don't mind much, unless they are blowing in my face.

Come to think of it, Smoking sounds like an addiction, something you can't resist. So maybe there should be a place here and there for smokers, but not EVERYWHERE.

And even though smoking does cause cancer and who knows what else (addiction), so do many other things...

Reaction score
People should only be allowed to smoke in their own homes, and it should be illegal to buy tobacco products unless you have an addiction. There is nothing I despise more than smoking, but I would be so much more tolerant if it wasn't:

• A destructive and unhealthy habit
  • Thoroughly pointless
  • A health risk to bystanders
  • Malodorous, imposing and annoying
  • A contributer to pollution and the destruction of the environment.

Sustaining an addiction is one thing, but I have absolutely no respect for anyone who takes up smoking despite knowledge of the risks, effects and social factors. Smokers damage themselves and all those around them, they put excess strain on the medical system, generate mountains of waste and fuel deforestation.

Tobacco agriculture contributes to ozone depletion and environmental destruction, requiring the use of toxic pesticides and fungicides to ensure the health of the delicate tobacco plant. For these reasons and others, it seems to me that the tobacco industry is an insipid engine of destruction and decay. It has no practical use, offers no benefits and brings misery and poverty to all.

If you are a smoker, the single greatest thing you could ever do for yourself, your planet and your species is to stop right now.

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
People should only be allowed to smoke in their own homes, and it should be illegal to buy tobacco products unless you have an addiction. There is nothing I despise more than smoking, but I would be so much more tolerant if it wasn't:

• A destructive and unhealthy habit
  • Thoroughly pointless
  • A health risk to bystanders
  • Malodorous, imposing and annoying
  • A contributer to pollution and the destruction of the environment.

Sustaining an addiction is one thing, but I have absolutely no respect for anyone who takes up smoking despite knowledge of the risks, effects and social factors. Smokers damage themselves and all those around them, they put excess strain on the medical system, generate mountains of waste and fuel deforestation.

Tobacco agriculture contributes to ozone depletion and environmental destruction, requiring the use of toxic pesticides and fungicides to ensure the health of the delicate tobacco plant. For these reasons and others, it seems to me that the tobacco industry is an insipid engine of destruction and decay. It has no practical use, offers no benefits and brings misery and poverty to all.

If you are a smoker, the single greatest thing you could ever do for yourself, your planet and your species is to stop right now.

It's not pointless. People could say playing games, chewing gum, or eating candy was pointless. Do they ban it? No. I don't smoke but I believe they have the power to make their own choice of whether to smoke or not beginning from their first smoke.

Secondly, this point;

[*]Malodorous, imposing and annoying

is very opinionated. I'm sure theres no explanation on why it is opinionated so I will just stop on that note.

esb

Reaction score
It depends on the situation.
If you're a non-smoker, standing or sitting next to a person smoking, and he starts blowing the smoke in your face then it would be very annoying. If it's the wind that blows in your face, ask him/her to trade spots, I've done it before and they don't get offended or anything.

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
1 month to go here in MD, cannot wait, F all you smokers, case closed

EatShrooms

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Respect or disrespect should only ever be based on choices.

Everybody makes mistakes, you can't disrespect someone cause they smoke. Well I suppose you could, but I can't see someone getting anywhere socially if they're like that. Crack babies would frown upon this.

Reaction score
Everybody makes mistakes, you can't disrespect someone cause they smoke. Well I suppose you could, but I can't see someone getting anywhere socially if they're like that. Crack babies would frown upon this.

Coming from a social perspective, I'd much rather judge people by their choices than by:

• Their race
  • Their intelligence
  • Their education
  • Their beliefs

It doesn't matter if everyone makes mistakes because, potentially, any action could be a mistake. Judgment needs to be made at some point and I believe that point should be choice.

FhelZone

Have a drink of a nice cold mellowberry juice!
Reaction score
Well esb is right, people who smoke in places with a lot of people should be arrested. They should smoke where there is not much people. Smoking while with several people is like picking your nose :) and it is not good to see in most public places with several people.

BlightWarden

Reaction score
It depends on the situation.
If you're a non-smoker, standing or sitting next to a person smoking, and he starts blowing the smoke in your face then it would be very annoying. If it's the wind that blows in your face, ask him/her to trade spots, I've done it before and they don't get offended or anything.

speaking as a smoker, i do not like second hand smoke at all, gives me serious headaches. also i come from a state where it is still legal to smoke indoors at a lot of resturants. i do not like smoke near me before, during or just after i eat, i have never smoked in a resturant before and won't. i do not go to bars mainly because of violent drunks, but aside from that in large part due to smokers.

i see nothing wrong with not being able to smoke in side public places.I would only hope that those places set up smoking areas outside in well lit places with some cover from rain and wind. I know first hand that those places that do not have smoking areas do not stop smokers from lighting up, they simply sneak around while smoking or if they simply do not care, light up in plain sight. they also flick their ciggerettes where ever they want and go on about their day. so having an area with cover and ashtrays solves the problem for adult smokers.
but that will not stop jerks. jerks will do what they want when they want no matter what. thats when the law comes into play, but as most of us know, police are rarely around when we need them.

Being considerate in all things should be common sense but some people seem to lack common sense. I blame their parents. But if someone is inconsiderate to another person, more inconsideration won't solve anything and may make things worse.

As i understand the feelings of a non smoker- as i was one, i also understand the feelings of a smoker. and most smokers have already had one angry non smoker read them the riot act before, so when we hear it again it just gets really annoying or frustrating and some smokers lash out. as smokers have a right to be treated with civility and respect some non smokers forget about this.

second hand smoke is a health risk, but so is being rude to a stranger whom you do not know. maybe the smoker just lost a loved one, or is going through a divorce, or is on serious drugs. either way its always smart to use caution and consideration when dealing with anyone.

second hand smoke is actually not as big of a problem as drunk drivers and violent alcholics. i would welcome a ban on public drinking, closing all bars and requiring people to only drink at a residence. i hate the smell of booze and most drunks act like fools, but when i encounter a drinker i am friendly and respectful because it is that persons choice. if i am bothered i simply move away from the person. though with drinkers sometimes they follow me and try to hold a conversation.

but im getting off topic, i understand the views posted here and support most of them completely. Just remember that everyone dislikes something and if they can find a reason to justify their dislike they might become pushy and use their "Facts" and become overbearing. This never works. just because someone does something you do not like or agree with or find discusting or unhealthy doesnt give you the right to bully or harrass them.

if you ever see me smoking and are bothered by it, simply ask me respectfully to please move upwind, and i will gladly do so with an apology to boot. but beware the angry smoker who is using his/her ciggerette/cigar/chewing tabacco to start a confrontation.

I wish you a long and healthy life.:)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.