Can maps cause delay?

dashival

Reaction score
Is it possible for a map's triggers to be inefficient enough or something to cause delay? And I don't mean taking 1 or 2 seconds to process a command, I mean making the connection between the host and peers slower. Is it possible for a map to cause delay, or is it ONLY the host's connection?

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Leaks in triggers, of course! Anything that takes up more RAM will slow the connection down, thus, why some games slowly get more and more delay.

InfectedWithDrew

I used to go here a lot.
Reaction score
And, of course, there are multiple ways to go about an action. If you use one that takes up more space it will slow the map b/c the map has to go through more steps.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
not just leaks. the bigger your map the more memory it takes. every unit takes memory. every region. every camera etc.

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
in other words, if you stick the firey kiljaedin model in there, GG 56K'rs with old comps living in Rome.

M

Mini-Me

uberfoop said:
in other words, if you stick the firey kiljaedin model in there, GG 56K'rs with old comps living in Rome.
Hahaha, i have that model in my newest map which im working on :D. Maybe i should replace it with another...

InfectedWithDrew

I used to go here a lot.
Reaction score
You don't have to... if people can't afford dsl or broadband then they can just turn down video detail and cry. Or at least buy a RAM card, that helps a lot.

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
that's the exact reason why there is a 192x192 limit on map size? :rolleyes:

C

crazedcougar

(....idiots)

I belive he was talking about communication between two computers over (probabably) the internet, not use of memory/processor. This being said, lets look at what actually needs to be transfered. Unit commands, anything 'random' thats needs to be the same for all players (ex: Attack damage). More units mean more data to send.

Sometimes, when this data is not the same for all players, the "splits." If there are no other players who can host, everyone but the origional host gets disconnected.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Remember people that Warcraft 3 uses a Peer to Peer model of networking so that all the people in the game are connecting to each and Battle.net - but Battle.net just to keep the score. Your connection is only as good as the connections all you guys are making and the speed of the host. You guys are not paying monthly so you dont get a WOW server, your server is the guy hosting the game and you are connecting to everyone in the game straight off the Internet and not through Blizzard.

I

iNsaNe

the only things that can slow a map down (by making the game choppy or SLOW) are n00b memory leaks and a n00b internet connection by the host.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.