Chain spells cause crash (spirit link/lightning/heal)

undead_me77

Reaction score
I've been working on a hero survival map with with heroes with custom spells. Everything was fine until i gave one of them an ability based off of spirit link (shares damage taken between a few units). As soon as i hosted the game and began the first round, the summoner casted spirit link and the game crashes for everyone in the game. I have tried to replicate the crash offline by myself and have not been able to. It also does not 'always' crash when i host it, it seems to be random.
There are no triggers that are referring to any chain spells (except simple things such as when a unit dies, add 1 point on the scoreboard)

I was wondering if anyone else has ever had similar problems and could share what it was that did/could cause something like this to happen - so i can work out a way to fix it XD

The following are the only things i have changed on "Spirit Link" spell:
-Distributed damage factor - 0.15
-Area of effect - 800
-Cooldown - 30
-Mana cost - 0
-Name - Energy Link
-Normal and extended tooltips (don't think they matter too much)

undead_me77

Reaction score
The same thing that the default Spirit link spell can target:
Air, Friend, Ground, Organic, Self
I didn't change anything there

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
hmmm... see if you can test it more often to see whats causeing it, see what the summoner was casting it on and waht it jumped to <if you can attach the map it might be a little bit mor helpfull since i dont see much, try giveing the summoner hero the defult and check for that>

undead_me77

Reaction score
Yea, I'm still trying to get the crash to happen again (and it won't). But because i haven't changed anything that would fix it, the crash could still happen ><. I'll continue to test it, but if any one has any ideas that might make it easier to find/replicate, it'd be greatly appreciated. Its very confusing, as very little of the original spell has been changed.
All my dummies have the locust ability so they should not be being targeted. None of the spell's graphics have been changed either.
The summoner has the spell at the very start (its a unit ability), no tricky triggering was used to try and teach the spell to him.

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
maby a unit was removed right as the spell jumped to another unit <just a speculation>

cuz that could mess up the damage disribution values can cause a crash <you cant damage a unit thats not there>

undead_me77

Reaction score
maby a unit was removed right as the spell jumped to another unit <just a speculation>

cuz that could mess up the damage disribution values can cause a crash <you cant damage a unit thats not there>

If that is true, how can i fix it? Or i just can not remove units that can be Spirit Linked? (gotta be a way around it)

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Replicate it one more time on the internet with other people as a control, to make sure its your spell, then host it again without the spell in the map, just to be sure.

If it's the spirit link, your custom spells must be dealing some sort of funky damage that can't be distributed correctly.

EDIT: What other custom spells do you have going on doing damage?

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
its just a speculation <im testing it out now> but giveing some time before you remove a unit would work <actualy now that i think about it, if you cast it on a elemental thats about to expire then it shuld crash, it dosent crash tho so it means that this isnt the problem> ill try it anyways lol

undead_me77

Reaction score
Replicate it one more time on the internet with other people as a control, to make sure its your spell, then host it again without the spell in the map, just to be sure.

If it's the spirit link, your custom spells must be dealing some sort of funky damage that can't be distributed correctly.

EDIT: What other custom spells do you have going on doing damage?

Well i do have some trigger damage spells
Code:
Unit - Cause Hellrider to damage circular area after 0.00 seconds of radius 250.00 at (Position of Hellrider), dealing 50.00 damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal
This one will go off every 0.50 seconds for 10 seconds (will deal damage to allied units)
I'll try to test it a bit with spells that do trigger damage.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
That could be it, again, best thing to do is to add and remove such custom damage spells, and see which one(s) crash it with Spirit Link (this is why I usually avoid the bloody spell, seen similar problems before).

undead_me77

Reaction score
Yeah, the biggest problem is that i've only seen it crash twice when i've cast a chain spell. And i was not paying attention to what i was casting the spells on. So I'm having a really hard time trying to replicate it. I can't just ignore it, because it crashed for a reason - even though it crashes only every 2% of games.

edit: If it helps any, i remember that when it crashes, the spell goes off and i hear the sound, but a split second afterwards it crashes
edit2:
That could be it, again, best thing to do is to add and remove such custom damage spells, and see which one(s) crash it with Spirit Link (this is why I usually avoid the bloody spell, seen similar problems before).
I could just replace spirit link with some other spell for the summoner, but the shaman hero isn't really a shaman without chain heal/chain lightning.
I am thinking I am just going to have to not use any 'chain' spells in the map, and try to replicated them with triggers :/.
Like, 'Pick random unit in range of casting unit and make a dummy unit at position of casting unit that will cast lightning at picked unit'.
Although i'd rather not go through all that just to have a working chain spell :(

update: hosted it again, and again it crashes, with the summoner choose, i do not know if that player cast spirit link or not though

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.