World China: Evergrande - Anxious Chinese home buyers reel from crisis

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
"When I think about it, I cry," says Mrs Guo about the home she had bought. "It's hard, and I feel sorry for my son and myself."

In 2021, just months before the Chinese property giant Evergrande showed the first signs of crisis, Guo Tianran (whose name has been changed on request) and her husband bought an apartment off-plan for their only child from the top-selling developer.

The couple, nearing their 60s, had scrimped to afford the $30,000 (£24,500) down payment on the yet-to-be-built flat. They bit the bullet in pledging to use 75% of their income to pay for the mortgage.

"We wanted to help our son, to give him a place to start out on once he graduates from college," Mrs Guo told the BBC earlier this month. But just months after their purchase, Evergrande's facade began to crack.

In Henan, the central Chinese province where they had bought the home, building work ground to a halt.

"We saw the main frame being built, and suddenly we heard that Evergrande was falling. Then construction stopped last year," she says.

jonas

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
It's a disgrace. Similar stories may happen in Europe & USA soon due to rising interest rates - but no big name to cast as the villain. Still lots of family dreams destroyed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.