Coins/Lumber item which can be held

twisterghost

Reaction score
In the map I'm making there is a shipping/trading aspect between players. How can I make an item which, when used, gives the player 200 gold or 200 lumber, but can be held in a unit's inventory? Can this be done without triggers? I can make it work with triggers probably, but is there an easier way?

Basically, a building has the option to "prepare supplies for shipment" which is really just buying the gold or lumber item and putting it in the inventory/on the ground, then the unit holding it is loaded into a caravan and the player can ship it to an ally who can then get the item and use it. This method gives a more immersive feeling than just using the give gold/lumber between allies thing. Any help?

Happy

Reaction score
just make gold coins and wood packs......i think they are basic.....they can the kept in the inv and can be transported with the hero....you can change how much they give if you want to....

Silver

Reaction score
You can just make dummy items. One for gold and one for lumber. The gold one will cost 200 gold, and the lumber one 200 lumber. Then you go to Gameplay Constants, there you go to Inventory - Sell Item Return Rate, change it to 1.00.

By doing this however, all items sold will no longer sell for 50% of buy price, but instead sell for the same amount that they were bought with (I doubt this would be an issue though, but it's up to you).

twisterghost

Reaction score
Thats a good idea. Miiiight be a problem because there are regular shops around the map too. Ill do that for now and if it affects gameplay negatively i guess ill just do it with triggers.

Silver

Reaction score
How exactly does being able to sell items back for their buy price affect the game negatively? It helps both the people that mistakenly bought an item and the people that need to make some gold / lumber. But you should do whatever you want.

Denegoth

Reaction score
Maybe make an item worth 1 gold and make it infinitely stackable and a code for dropping a certain amount?

twisterghost

Reaction score
How exactly does being able to sell items back for their buy price affect the game negatively? It helps both the people that mistakenly bought an item and the people that need to make some gold / lumber. But you should do whatever you want.

Yeah youre right.
Basically the map is focused on making a town and forming alliances, but eventually resources run low and all players are forced to harvest the center of the map, which causes a war. I guess having 1 to 1 selling prices wouldnt do much harm as it would to like a hero arena.

jwallstone

Reaction score
Actually, you don't need to go through all this trouble. There are already items called Bundle of Lumber and Gold Coins. You just need to uncheck the "Use Automatically When Acquired" field for each item. Then the hero can pick it up just like any other item, and click it to use to gain the resource at any time.

If you want to change how much gold/lumber it's worth, change or create new abilities based on the item abilities "Bundle of Lumber" of "Chest of Gold", respectively.

Happy

Reaction score
Actually, you don't need to go through all this trouble. There are already items called Bundle of Lumber and Gold Coins. You just need to uncheck the "Use Automatically When Acquired" field for each item. Then the hero can pick it up just like any other item, and click it to use to gain the resource at any time.

If you want to change how much gold/lumber it's worth, change or create new abilities based on the item abilities "Bundle of Lumber" of "Chest of Gold", respectively.

that ive said already xD but everybody ignored it^^

jwallstone

Reaction score
Yeah, but it's important to specify how to get them to work like twisterghost wanted. He's probably already seen the actual items and tried playing around with them. If you don't mention unchecking the "Use Automatically When Acquired" field, then it won't work as desired.

twisterghost

Reaction score
Oh wow I feel dumb. I completely forgot about the "use automatically" option.
Wooow I feel stupid. Thanks for everyone who gave ideas though. Imma go smash my head in until I start remembering things more.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.