Sci/Tech Company plans to beam free Wi-fi to every person on Earth from space

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
article-0-1B36BE8100000578-817_634x317.jpg

You might think you have to pay through the nose at the moment to access the Internet.

But one ambitious organisation called the Media Development Investment Fund (MDIF) is planning to turn the age of online computing on its head by giving free web access to every person on Earth.

Known as Outernet, MDIF plans to launch hundreds of satellites into orbit by 2015.

And they say the project could provide unrestricted Internet access to countries where their web access is censored, including China and North Korea.

Using something known as datacasting technology, which involves sending data over wide radio waves, the New York-based company says they'll be able to broadcast the Internet around the world.

Last edited:

Carnerox

The one and only.
Reaction score
It will probably be something along the lines of giving people basic internet and allowing them to upgrade it for increased speed.

Wummi

Just Relax and Smile!
Reaction score
Wonderful. Many sites are blocked in China, and I would love to be able to access them! Love these kinds of companies that don't have tunnel vision for profit.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Wonderful. Many sites are blocked in China, and I would love to be able to access them! Love these kinds of companies that don't have tunnel vision for profit.

How would you know if they have?
In the end it turns out they record all of your online activity (and passwords and everything) and sell it as big data to the data mining companies.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Cool idea! Internet for everyone!
But there will still be loopholes, And they will still get "their money one way or another!"

Darkrider

Reaction score

Tor doesn't work to bypas that? or another kind of proxy or whatever (like anonymouse.org as an example)?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Tor doesn't work to bypas that? or another kind of proxy or whatever (like anonymouse.org as an example)?

not by itself, the end tunnel where the traffic leaves the tor network and goes to your computer isn't hidden anymore - you could encrypt the data, but that would require the other end to also support the encryption, and the metadata would still be un-encrypted- although I suppose if you were running a tor server as well, that traffic would be harder to detect, as all that would potentially be noticed is an unequal amount of traffic

a proxy server may work, but at best it's secure up to the proxy - the proxy itself and any traffic beyond it would be subject to any surveillance, and unless you somehow got the proxy without using a credit card, and used a proxy that has no monitoring/logs/etc. (bitcoin perhaps), it would probably only make things worse by giving a perception of security

also, http://anonymouse.org/ isn't secure - it isn't using https, so even if you do use it, all it does is hide who you are from the server you visit - not from anyone looking at your traffic, like your ISP - they would still have 100% access to ALL your traffic

Darkrider

Reaction score
although I suppose if you were running a tor server as well, that traffic would be harder to detect, as all that would potentially be noticed is an unequal amount of traffic

I was thinking about this too. Tor has an option to use it where internet access is restricted but I haven't checked that in a while so I don't remember exactly how it worked

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
I should probably just repeat my comments on Reddit...

Apparently they have never heard of bandwidth. They cannot possibly service 7 billion people with hundreds of satellites. Let's say each of these satellites is capable of 1 Gpbs of speed, and there are 900 satellites.

(900 Gbps) / 7 billion =
17.256565 bytes per second
that means that if we have 1/1000 of the world using it, we'll get about one third of dial-up speed.
Let's go download some HD movies!

Conor

Reaction score
It's impractical for real everyday use to start with, certainly - but knowledge gained from doing it alone should help future innovation.

Of course working out how to actually make it work when people will certainly be trying to download HD movies or w/e might sink it anyway

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
It's impractical for real everyday use to start with, certainly - but knowledge gained from doing it alone should help future innovation.

Of course working out how to actually make it work when people will certainly be trying to download HD movies or w/e might sink it anyway

I honestly don't see the point. The knowledge gained would be that of combining two already complicated fields: computer networks (of which we most certainly have existing solutions that handle huge amounts of traffic -- see Google) and satellites. The satellites would not be able to compete with today's real-world networking hardware.

It's doomed to fail.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I should probably just repeat my comments on Reddit...

Apparently they have never heard of bandwidth. They cannot possibly service 7 billion people with hundreds of satellites. Let's say each of these satellites is capable of 1 Gpbs of speed, and there are 900 satellites.

(900 Gbps) / 7 billion =
17.256565 bytes per second
that means that if we have 1/1000 of the world using it, we'll get about one third of dial-up speed.
Let's go download some HD movies!

Key word: Free. Plus you're not taking into consideration important variables. For one, seven billion people does not mean seven billion people capable of even having the capacity to access it. Children make up a third or so, which brings us down to like 5.5 billion. I mean obviously they can get on the Internet, but it's unlikely they actually have a device themselves but use their parents so that creates significant reductions in the bandwidth issue. Plus people who don't have access to modern computers are extremely high. If we go by the number of households in the world, then we come to around 1.5 or 2 billion or so. Which is still probably way fucking overambitious.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.