Completely Custom Texture

Kyuft

Reaction score
Hello TH.net,
Does anybody know how to create a new texture for a unit? Do I need any special programs? Because when you use photoshop or paint, you can't exactly choose how to or where to apply the texture to a unit because it is flat. Anyone?
-Kyuft:shades:

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not an artistic person and I try to avoid textures and modelling as much as I can but from what I understand, a texture is just a normal picture. Sure, it's flat but you then use it to wrap it around the unit. I don't know if this makes sense though. Think of a plastic toy that you want to wrap to give to your brother as a Christmas gift. The paper is flat, but it still works out. The texture wraps it perfectly so the gift actually looks exactly like the toy itself just with a wrapping around every part of it.

I don't know how to know what part gets wrapped where. I don't know much more about textures than this. I'm not even sure I'm correct on this one so take it with a grain of salt.

Kyuft

Reaction score
I understand that the texture is wrapped around the model, I just can't figure out if there is a way to know how it wraps around the unit.

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
export a current model's skin and compare, only way other than finding a site that has done so already and can point out how to do it.
generally the parts to the skin are easily recognizeable, oh thats a face, theres some pants oh and theres a shirt, can get a little harder when its a monster with a million parts and things dangling off ot it... but you can still manage to get it done.

Kyuft

Reaction score
That's what I plan to do. I just wish there was a way to know exactly how it applies. Like a program that puts the texture on the model and then you can select an area on the model, an it will show you where that area is on the flat texture.

GFreak45

Reaction score
Just import it and view it from sc2, pretty sure u can do that, and there is software that can do this, pretty sure of that one...

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
Of course you can import it and view it in SC2 but the program Kyuft is asking for would be a program that allows you to see the changes in real-time. Imagine the tedious work of creating a texture if you had to constantly import it back into the editor and check it out on a unit. If you could have a unit-model next to the flat image that was automatically updated to reflect the changes, it would make it SO much easier.

Not to mention the ability to have the program tell you what is linked to what. So if you select a part on the flat image, it would high-light that section on the 3d model.

GFreak45

Reaction score
you are talking about higher end 3d design software, it would be handy and there is stuff like that out there, but i the only ones i know of are expensive as hell, ie: maya, clay, and a few others
(~$1k)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.