(Currently Nameless) Hero Arena

Ivach

Reaction score
Yea, at the look of the title, many might be thinking it's just another Hero Arena map. Well, I plan to have some additional stuff in this that hopefully parts it from other ordinary Hero Arena maps.

Introduction
I'm sure many people are familiar with this. Basically, it's a map where a player picks a hero, and runs off killing other heroes. Mine's a 5v5, with the bases belonging to the top right and bottom left respectively.

Extra Stuff Implemented
- Random events that occur every XX minute of the game.
- Creep Camps
- Runes at random places
- A dual arena

Maybe these thing are already implemented is some maps, maybe not. But my aim is to create a map which keeps players interested. I also plan to not have just plain hero killing, but a more stretegic way of doing so. Hero which have skills that synergise well, have skills that can combo well among 2 heroes and hopefully support heroes that play an important role and be fun at the same time.

Heroes
I don't know how many I plan to have. Maybe 10+ to 20+? Every hero has a special role in the game, and are capable of doing what they do best. Eg: Tanker, Healer and so on.

Items
Players can combine items, making them stronger. Use up item with charges, or items that can be only used once.

Events
They occur every XX minute of the game. The events are usually like, silencing all players for a few seconds, rain down infernals from the sky, make everyone move like snails and so on.

Maybe to you it doesn't soudn that great, because maybe i suck at expressing what i mean. Really, it sounds pretty good in my mind.

Currently I'm looking for help in:
Hero Ideas
Rune Ideas
Event Ideas

All help is greatly appreciated and I will give credit.

Current Progress
Well to be truthful, the terrain is all I done, and it's almost finished. I'm not too good at terraining, but I did spend a few days to get it right. Hopefully it looks good to other people. Here are some screenshots:

mappic1co0.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mappic2fa3.png

N

NuBy

Hmm.. Your ScreenShots.. are pretty nice.. but in the second picture the bak of it looks a little plain.. I haven't got any ideas.. but to b honest its more fun if u have more heroes.. cause when i see a game in Bnet.. example Hero Siege I just cbb to join it cause it has too little heroes, and that ive used all of them. :eek:

Another thing if its a map based on a Hero Arena.. why did u terrain as an island?

Arcane

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
@NuBy: You can have a Island Hero Arena, better than those ugly square arenas that are completely flat in my opinion.

The terrain is okay, but it should be more colorful, put more stuff rather than just trees and rocks, scatter some flowers here and there and mess around with the heights.

Event Ideas:

Murloc Raid: Murlocs swarm up from the sea and start attacking random players.

Sea's Fury: Water Elementals swarm up from the sea, they can't be killed and have very high attack but they disappear after some time. They should be melee.

Thunder Storm: Make it rain and have random thunder bolts striking the island, and whenever there is thunder, make a thunder clap effect or something and slow all heroes affected.

----------------

Rune Ideas:

Rune of Bloodlust: Decreases the hero's health by 10 per second but grants 45% life drain.

Rune of Wind: Grants the hero a huge boost in movespeed and allows them to fly.

Rune of Stone: Gives the hero 10 armor but slows them by 20%.

Usually I would've given hero ideas as well, but my creativity for heroes has run dry for now - maybe I'll post some later. :)

Edit: Oh yeah. And use different tiles! Scatter some grass here and there. :shades:

A

alzidaney

Your terrain is nice.. The waterfalls and everything.. Just that it looks bland.. It looks empty.. Have more variations on the texture.. Add grasses more since your Island looks rather tropical.. Anyway nice concept on using an Island as an arena.. Maybe add a volcano in the middle where Heroes can obtain deadly items at a price.. :D

Ivach

Reaction score
Yep a hero arena with a natural terrain was what i wanted. As masinfantry said, those ugly square areas are a real turn off. Anyways, thanks for the feedback, looks like I have more work to do on the terraining. About the different tiles, i really tried lol but they just seemed a little weird after i placed them.

A

alzidaney

Sometimes it looks weird at a first glance.. If it does, continue placing it and other tiles to overlap.. A rule of thumb, dont make illogical tile placings.. :D

spyre03

Reaction score
Can I ask you some thing?

If there is a player who is really good, whats gonna happen?
Many games tend to allow good players to dominate the map.
More you kill > More Money > Better Items > Easier Kill > More money
If this happens in your map, those on the bottom of the ladder will start to quit.
Is there an auto-balance system?
Is there a way for a weak to beat the strong using strategy?
If you are ganged, is there a way to escape, or even defeat them all?
If unexpected cannot happen in your game, it wont be fun.

I don't want to see another "who is the first to get the best item" game.

Arcane

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
If there is a player who is really good, whats gonna happen?

Good question. I'd prefer a Hero Arena that needs skill to play, not just point and click... but that would put off newbies since they would keep losing to experienced players... So make it easy to learn, yet not too easy.

Many games tend to allow good players to dominate the map.

That SHOULD happen, but not in the I'm-higher-level-than-you-so-I-can-kick-your-ass way, and newbies should be given at least some chance to win. See above answer.

More you kill > More Money > Better Items > Easier Kill > More money
If this happens in your map, those on the bottom of the ladder will start to quit.

Agreed. The map shouldn't just be, I'm good at the beginning, I get better items, I get better, I kick ass. It should be balanced so that lower leveled people with less powerful items are able to take on higher leveled people with more powerful items. It shouldn't be easy, but it shoud be possible.

Is there an auto-balance system?

Good idea. :)

Is there a way for a weak to beat the strong using strategy?

See above answers.

If you are ganged, is there a way to escape, or even defeat them all? If unexpected cannot happen in your game, it wont be fun.

If one person could defeat a whole group of players, that would be unfair - each player should have his or her own role in the group and the game should be about teamwork - though a hero made for assassinations or massive AOE damage might be able to do it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.