WIP Custom Races for melee games. !!Hero Ideas!!

I

iAmKablam

Aloha

I'm making some new custom races to use in melee games, in addition to the other 4. I've played a lot of the other maps that use custom races, and some of them are really cool, but I've found that a lot seem sloppy, or thrown together.

So I've almost finished one of the races, and I wanted to post my ideas and see if you guys can give me some feedback to make them more balanced, fun and synergized (is that a word?).

The first race I've made is mainly Gnolls. The main melee and ranged troops are gnolls. There are kobold spell casters, and some razormane melee and spell casting units too. I'll describe them later on.

I'll just start off describing the heroes, and see if I get any useful feedback..

-----
Razormane Warfrenzy (?? could use a better name. just thought it sounded cool in WOW)
Strength based Tank-type hero

Abilities

- Quill shield
Basically a personal Thorns Aura. Returns percentage of damage to melee attackers. Not especially original, but it fits the character.

- Focus
Each time the Warfrenzy uses this ability, it adds a damage multiplyer to his very next attack. The idea is that he can charge up one brutal attack before going into battle, and then crush one enemy.

- Thousand needles
An AOE damage spell. Launches a barrage of needles at enemies. Big damage, relatively high mana cost and cooldown.

* Spawn of Agamaggan
Summons one bad ass giant boar. The boar is a ranged attacker with spkie shield, and frenzy. He also has a passive multishot ability which causes him to attack all nearby units, including friendlies. He is especially useful when fighting large groups of enemies.

-----
Gnoll Overseer
Strength based, healer/buffer type hero

Abilities

- Scavenge
AOE healing spell. Cast on a group of corpses, and then nearby friendly units get healed / # of corpses.

- Rally
2 part spell. First, the Overseer marks all friendly units in an AOE. Then he is able to instantly summon them to his location. Useful for getting troops in and out of battle quickly.

- ???
I was thinking he needs a good single target debuff spell to use on enemies. Any ideas?

* Rampage
His ultimate ability is basically a multi unit bloodlust. Greatly increases attack speed of nearby troops for a short time.

-----
Gnoll Shadow Weaver
Ranged, assassin type hero. Low HP, high damage

Abilities

- Vulture
Summons an invincible and semi-controllable vulture. The vulture cannot attack, but can be used to scout, and has his own Dread aura, which lowers enemy attack damage and armour.

- Shadow call
Casts on a unit, and causes its shadow to come to life, and tear shit up. The shadow's HP is linked to the target unit, and so he dies when the orignal target unit dies.

- Vendetta
This ability is casted on a single unit, and causes the Shadow Weaver to do massive dammage when attacking that unit only.

* Shadow slash
- Think omnislash, with cool shadowy effects.

-----
Kobold Mastermind
Intelligence based hero
Ranged spell casting hero, with low HP and high Mana

Abilities

- Dust storm
Unleashes a cloud of dust that slows down enemy attack speed and movement, while giving friendly units a greater chance of evading attacks

- Rock drop (needs a cooler name)
Single unit damage and AOE stun. Drops a large rock from the sky. Kablam!!

- ???
Having trouble coming up with good ideas for another spell. Thinking maybe some type of trap, or ward that activates when enemies approach. Any ideas?

* Guardian Golem
Channeling spell. Kobold summons a mighty golem, but has to continue channeling to keep the golem activated. I'm not sure about this spell, plus the razormane has a summon as his ultimate, so I may scrap this idea.

-----

So there you go. Most of the spells I've listed are completely finished and bug free. Any feedback? What are some cool hero skills you'd like to see in a melee game? Anything you think I should change to make them more playable?

Thanks for your input, everyone. I'll describe the rest of the units and the other races soon, if there seems to be any interest.

Peace

toadish

Reaction score
- ???
I was thinking he needs a good single target debuff spell to use on enemies. Any ideas?

purge?

- ???
Having trouble coming up with good ideas for another spell. Thinking maybe some type of trap, or ward that activates when enemies approach. Any ideas?

how bout a buff type spell that gives the unit +X def?

* Guardian Golem
Channeling spell. Kobold summons a mighty golem, but has to continue channeling to keep the golem activated. I'm not sure about this spell, plus the razormane has a summon as his ultimate, so I may scrap this idea.

how about a earth wind fire type ult, but instead of those, it would be heavy, sharp, and big...

J

JacobSijsma

Its almost as if you have stolen my idea ^_^... i made a thread about it once, but no one was interested.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
I'm too busy in my mind to think right now, but I'll be sure to get ideas later.

Btw, the Razormane Warfrenzy thing is a unit? That doesn't make sense Warfrenzy is a compound-noun. It's not a proper noun. How about: Razormane Warfiend? lol

PrisonLove

Hard Realist
Reaction score
for the overseer what about

knockdown: strikes a target unit with such force that it knocks it over (plays its death animation) making it unable to move, attack or cast spells for X seconds. knocked over units are invulnerable until they come to.

for the mastermind

Etheral trap: summons a powerful ward which will send any enemy unit that enters a certain radius around it to be placed between realms. These units cannot move, attack, or cast spells, and become etheral, taking more damage from spells

J

JacobSijsma

Cool races and idea's

I was, thinking of continue'ng' my own map, but i can just as well help you with yours, if you want to... I had worked on my map for quite a while, and i got some idea's of those that you might wanna try.

You know the game type:

1. Vampirism:
    (vampire)
    Unit: Vampire -_-

A vampire race that doesnt have much units or anything but build to survive, and live from the smaller creeps to feed himself.
    Its supposed to be a hard race to play ofcourse

2. Power Towers:
    (Human)
    Unit: Electricien.

You might know the gametype... you build power plants that generate mana, and they use the unlimited transfer mana spell to link itself to a bridging tower, you can upgrade bridging towers to get a higher mana transfer rate.

But you don't need that if the powerplant's transfer rate itself aint high
    enough.

Eventually you use this power to support your offensive towers (Tesla towers for example ), they can use it to attack incoming creeps.

3. Tree planting
    (NightElf)

Unit: Seeding Druid < (or anything else like tree planter)
    Planting tree's to replace cut-forrest is a great idea... you can allso plant atacking tree's.

Btw, there are races already made by blizzard for example:

1. Naga: From the campaign tab has creature's wich can build etc, also you don't need custom models since they are already there.
  2. Fel Orcs: Blizzard didn't completely finish it, but the models are there... you can find them in the campaign tab and maybe make it an expansion for the orc race... since they are daemonfy'd orcs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.