Dedicated laptop keeps 'disconnecting'

AciD

Reaction score
Good day. I'm running a dedicated Counter-Strike server on my laptop, and I've run into a problem.

I leave it online for a while, letting people play, and all of a sudden they tell me the server has gone offline. I look into it and see the laptop is still connected to the internet, but that no data packages are anymore sent or recieved. Practically, it has disconnected.

This is fixed easily by inactivating and re-activating my LAN connection through the internet connections settings screen in Windows, but what the heck. How is that if you're trying to host a 24/7 server?

My laptop can host it, and there are no problems using it while everything is up and running. My laptop specs are:

Intel Celeron CPU 2,6 GHZ
448 MB RAM
Radeon IGP 345M
National Semiconductor DP83815-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (That's one long name.)

Thanks in advance for any help recieved regarding the subject
//Aceed.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
De-activate the power-saving mode in the control panel "Power options", especially Stand-By. The NIC itself may be turned off: take a look at its advanced properties in the device manager.

AciD

Reaction score
De-activate the power-saving mode in the control panel "Power options", especially Stand-By. The NIC itself may be turned off: take a look at its advanced properties in the device manager.

I've already had all the basic laptop power settings turned off, "Turn off the hard drive" and "Continue in whatever that mode is called in english" are both never.
Sleep mode isn't activated. When I close the lid the laptop nothing is set to happen.

What is the NIC?
If it's the network card, under advanced options it says:
"Amount of (Whatever it is, bufferings or something. I hope you get what I mean.): 40
MAC adress: N/A
Network media (?): Auto

EDIT:
I unchecked "Let the computer inactivate this device to save power", is this what you meant?

AciD

Reaction score

I'm sorry to say this, but it didn't work ;/

Any other ideas?

EDIT:
I also notice that when the problem occurs, the LAN symbol in connections reads active, while the Internet gateway connection symbol dissapears. Could this be to help?

enouwee

Reaction score
How often does that happen? Every hour, every few hours, every day, ...?

In many countries, the ISPs forcefully disconnect home users every 24 hours to prevent them using their internet connection as server.

Are you using a modem (computer "dials" itself) or a router to connect to the internet? In the latter case, verify that your connection is "always on", not "dial on demand", or "hang up after X minutes of inactivity".

AciD

Reaction score
How often does that happen? Every hour, every few hours, every day, ...?
It's pretty much random, once it took a few minutes and another time several hours.
In many countries, the ISPs forcefully disconnect home users every 24 hours to prevent them using their internet connection as server.
That, I can ensure, isn't what happens.
Are you using a modem (computer "dials" itself) or a router to connect to the internet? In the latter case, verify that your connection is "always on", not "dial on demand", or "hang up after X minutes of inactivity".
I'm using a router. How do I check those options?

EDIT: The problem is, as far as my knowledge goes, on the laptop.
This considering:
A: The server has been on my desktop, where it worked 24/7. That isn't a solution though, I moved it to a dedicated machine in consideration of the RAM usage. (My desktop is very active).
B: I've been using several other applications on my desktop before that can confirm above.

enouwee

Reaction score
What about the event viewer log (Control panel -> Administrative tools): does it contain any errors when you lose your connection?

The next time it happens, check the network LEDs on both notebook and port connected to your router. Try switching the network cable, to rule it out as potential cause.

AciD

Reaction score
What about the event viewer log (Control panel -> Administrative tools): does it contain any errors when you lose your connection?

The next time it happens, check the network LEDs on both notebook and port connected to your router. Try switching the network cable, to rule it out as potential cause.

I have no logs in neither category since May, which is about the last time I used that laptop.

I'll check out the hub and laptop connection ports the next time it happens.

EDIT: There was nothing strange with either port, nor the lamp on the hub for the laptop. It ALWAYS fixes it temporarily when I inactivate and reactivate the LAN connection through connections. This couldn't be of help in some way?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.