Dialog timeout?

OVRKLL

Reaction score
Hey all,

What's the best way of making a dialog timeout? First, I figured it was creating another trigger that fired when a countdown timer expired... But sinse these timers are paused during freeze time (using game time instead of real time) that didn't work. Then I tried firing the trigger after 10 seconds of time but that was also independant of in-game time rather than real time. What should I do?

Choppa

www.warcraft-gamers.po.gs
Reaction score
Multiply game time by how ever many times it's faster then real time?

What do you mean make a dialog timeout? Like only appear for a while? Remove it?

OVRKLL

Reaction score
I want it to time out, meaning I want it to dissapear after a certain amount of time.
No, the problem is not the chronolocical difference between game time and real time but the fact that the in-game timer is frozen while the dialog is showing - ergo, game time isn't even moving. Therefore, I need to use real time.

Choppa

www.warcraft-gamers.po.gs
Reaction score
Ohhh I see, try put a Wait 10.0 seconds after the dialog opens?

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> these timers are paused during freeze time

Only in single player.
On BNet, dialogs only block the player that is seeing it and timers continue just fine.

So, a simple timer, started when the dialog is shown... works, but not in single player.

OVRKLL

Reaction score
> these timers are paused during freeze time

Only in single player.
On BNet, dialogs only block the player that is seeing it and timers continue just fine.

So, a simple timer, started when the dialog is shown... works, but not in single player.

Nope -- "auto-pause" also works over LAN (afaik) -- which pretty much is the only place the map will be played. So that sux! ;P

OVRKLL

Reaction score
Blocking the game for all players just because one of them doesn't know what button to click... can't possibly happen.

So what if the player is disconnected? The game will continue but nothing will happen.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
You're looking for problems where there aren't any.

You're showing a dialog to a bunch of players.
When doing so, remember them in some group.
Start a timer that will expire in 20 or so seconds.

In the "button" trigger, remove the triggering player from that group.

When the timer expires, any player still in that group did not click any button.
Hide the dialog for those and do... something to them.

OVRKLL

Reaction score
You're looking for problems where there aren't any.

You're showing a dialog to a bunch of players.
When doing so, remember them in some group.
Start a timer that will expire in 20 or so seconds.

In the "button" trigger, remove the triggering player from that group.

When the timer expires, any player still in that group did not click any button.
Hide the dialog for those and do... something to them.

No, I'm only showing the dialog to ONE player... That's why him not clicking any buttons could result in wait times for the remaining players.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.