Dungeon Escape (give advice to a noob)

H

H5N1

I have only been at this for a short time, but I have a couple Dota heroes under my belt and I think I'm getting a good knowledge base in GUI and Jass. I've decided to take a shot at making my own map. I obviously don't expect this to get done soon, but I'd like to see what I can do.

The concept is this: A team of heroes is set in a Dungeon maze against one omniscient player, the Dungeon Master, who's goal it is to keep the heroes from escaping the dungeon. The dungeon master would rely on summons and traps to prevent escape while the heroes would rely on teamwork. There would be several heroes to choose from, but also several Dungeon Master characters as well (one might be themed at creating traps around the dungeon while another might be skilled at summoning monsters). Also the Dungeon Masters would have an Avatar form where he could make himself corporal and fight the heroes himself. The heroes will win if they reach the end of the dungeon before a certain time limit expires.

Like I said, this is my first map and I don't really have any experience so if anyone would like to offer advice or comments they would be welcome.

I have thought through a couple of problems already. First off, players are obviously going to know the way out of the dungeon after a couple times playing, so a true "maze" is not going to work for the map. I've tried to make it rather so that there are several potential paths to take, each one a little different than the other in visibilty and room to build, so that maybe there would be some strategy involved in choosing a exit route against a specific dungeon master. My other problems:
1) How to distribute experience, since the dungeon master will primarily have control over what the heroes are fighting. I don't want him experience denying them until the end when he rapes them with his uber spells.
2) How to distribute items. Should I have shops along the way? Or should there be some other way to drop them?
3) I don't really have much experience map making, so any advice in this area would be welcome.
4) How to deal with hero respawns. I don't want the other player to have to sit and wait too long before their dead partner revives. But at the same time there should be a time penalty for getting killed.

That's all I got right now. Thanks for your feedback.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.