Excessive Processing/Freezing

Shimergloom

Reaction score
Lately my computer has been freezing or randomly using 99% processing power on an IE window I'm not using, it's also generally slower at opening IE and browsing. A few days ago my dad downloaded some google update stuff and that's when it seems to have started. I uninstalled all of it and ran virus scans with Norton and PC Spyware Doctor but it's still messed up. I haven't defragged it yet but I did that not long ago and it's only about 2% fragged so it shouldn't be causeing this. It's a family comp, not mine so reformatting isn't really an option.
Any help with fixing this is much appreciated.

Darkchaoself

What is this i dont even
Reaction score
Did you remove the updates from the Add/Remove Programs?

Nortan is useless imo, download SpySweeper, SmitFraudFix, and AVG and start your computer in safe mode without internet, and run all 3 of them to scan computer.

I also recommend using Firefox, imo its much better and safer than IE.

Rad

Reaction score
Yeah Norton isn't that great. I suggest you at least try AVG.

But before that, you should get Firefox. Theres a huge lists of benefits between Firefox / IE, but that still won't fix anything.

Since internet explorer is so open and unsecure you could have easily downloaded some spyware/adware that activates through IE. Ad-Aware, made by lavasoft, is one of the best anti-spyware/adware programs I've seen and the free version has everything you need.

AVG is the same way, except its an anti-virus and usually doesn't detect spyware.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
In addition to Ad-Aware you should also get Spybot S&D, those two do a great job as a duo. This problem is most likely caused by spyware, you really need to stop using IE and switch to either Firefox or Opera since they aren't as vulnerable and are much faster and have more features overall.

Darkchaoself

What is this i dont even
Reaction score
Yeah Norton isn't that great. I suggest you at least try AVG.

But before that, you should get Firefox. Theres a huge lists of benefits between Firefox / IE, but that still won't fix anything.

Since internet explorer is so open and unsecure you could have easily downloaded some spyware/adware that activates through IE. Ad-Aware, made by lavasoft, is one of the best anti-spyware/adware programs I've seen and the free version has everything you need.

AVG is the same way, except its an anti-virus and usually doesn't detect spyware.

In addition to Ad-Aware you should also get Spybot S&D, those two do a great job as a duo. This problem is most likely caused by spyware, you really need to stop using IE and switch to either Firefox or Opera since they aren't as vulnerable and are much faster and have more features overall.

Ahh, knew i forgot 2 of my 5 virus/adware/trojans protections. I've learned this mmainly from you SFilip :p

Shimergloom

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I ran AVG and SpySweeper, it seems better but I'll still try those other ones just in case.
And I do use Firefox sometimes but my family is stubborn so IE is still the default and I can't convince them to switch.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> I can't convince them to switch
No need to. Check out this article, get rid of IE and tell them you upgraded it or something. ;)

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
The fact this butchers firefox concerns me far more.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.