Ezest kinda map

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Actually, i would have to say melee is a hard one. Terrain has to be equally balanced for player's start location, resources must be available, items and creeps must be balanced too.

They are all hard to make... if you want a good map

WindexGlow

Reaction score
Based on statistics:
The easiest is an AoS map, DotA is an AoS.

Reason:
Because many AoS maps are horribly made, have the same ideas, thus meaning many people who are new to mapping make these.

ManyTimes

I'm so lonesome I could cry...
Reaction score
melee is a hard one.
Haha, joking... right?;) I doubt he wants to create that.. so:p

Well, easiest map to create, no matter what, is a TD... And you also learn a lot from creating a TD, like balance, multiboards, spawning problems, creep problems that may occur, creating several towers, upgrading, gaining gold, displaying text, lives counter, etcetcetc... which is also common for most maps, but, other maps got also some other things that are not that commonly used, therefore a TD (imo) is the fastest way to learn, therefore also the easiest thing to create and yet you learn "all" these things++, just with a basic made TD...
Cheerio

Tonks

Reaction score
TD's and Mellee, if anything, are the most difficult ones for starter mappers. Both take a lot of time for balancing and terraining. Not to mention that in TD's, if you want a good one, you have to balance and create 50+ monster levels, decide the amount of monsters per level, decide how quickly they spawn, etc. etc..

The easiest thing to do is edit existing maps until you get the hang of it, and you aren't so damn lazy that you don't want to challenge yourself.

ManyTimes

Reaction score
ManyTimes says:
basic made TD
Tonks
Not to mention that in TD's, if you want a good one, you have to balance and create 50+ monster levels, decide the amount of monsters per level, decide how quickly they spawn, etc. etc..
Lol, TD's with over 50+ of monster levels, no thank you. I thought more about 20. And it is not that hard to balance a TD, if you do not have 200+ towers. And decide the amount of monsters per wave is NOT hard at all, just pick a random number... 14.. Great! How quickly? 14 sec after each wave! Wow, that wasnt that hard...not at all actually;)
Well, TD's are still the easiest...imo/tbh...

"Easiest" is all a matter of opinion and experience. :p
Jupp...opinions and experiences...:D
Cheerio!

Tonks

Reaction score
Lol, TD's with over 50+ of monster levels, no thank you. I thought more about 20. And it is not that hard to balance a TD, if you do not have 200+ towers. And decide the amount of monsters per wave is NOT hard at all, just pick a random number... 14.. Great! How quickly? 14 sec after each wave! Wow, that wasnt that hard...not at all actually;)
Well, TD's are still the easiest...imo/tbh...

The TD that you just theoretically created is crap. It's imbalanced. You don't know how the towers will conflict with eachother, how the monsters will react, whether you'll have any problems with pathing.

To me, it sounds like you never even attempted to create one.

And interesting TD will take time, effort, and most of all, ingenuity. 50+ levels and 200+ towers is a good start.

Battlemapsta

I am the Conduit of Change
Reaction score
This really isn't a map genre but an easy one to make are dungeons. They're all based on your imagination and creativity so just make it good and operational and you're done.

K

Kyonu

Personally, hero arena's seem kinda easy.. I'm in the process of making one, and the triggers are the hardest part, really. Most of it's just making a good gameplay environment, equilizing the heroes and abilities, and making LOTS of heroes and ability. Takes time, but really all pretty simple.

ManyTimes

Reaction score
The TD that you just theoretically created is crap. It's imbalanced. You don't know how the towers will conflict with eachother, how the monsters will react
It is not crap, even if it is short, with only levels and 20 towers...Have you ever played Cube Defense? Yes, the "first and only" TD that was ever created on planet earth? It had/has 20 levels 6 towers and some few upgrades on each tower (the first versions that were released). One of THE best TD's ever made. And so so so easy to create... The worst part were like creating regions for where to order the units to move...

whether you'll have any problems with pathing
Wtf, joking me? I guess you will see the pathing problems after 20 levels.. even 2...

To me, it sounds like you never even attempted to create one.
To me, it sounds like you think this guy, that started this thread is capable of creating THE best TD ever created, with loads of towers, whatever features that might include.

And interesting TD will take time, effort, and most of all, ingenuity. 50+ levels and 200+ towers is a good start.
A newbish TD, yes, that the creator have used 1000 hours of creating, and how many plays it? none!:D Therefore, start in the small.. start with empty pockets, and fill them with few towers and levels to begin with. So you then will have a basic TD after awhile, and when you have achieved that, you will be capable of do "any map-genre"...You will be capable of this both easier and sooner if you are creating a TD, due to the fact that a TD does not require as much time as any other map (to those who wants to say: "AoS takes less time"....My answer is: "Yea sure, just look at DotA... the currently version took about 5-6 years:D")) This is not just I am saying, a TD can be created within minutes...I have "once" created a Tutorial TD for those who wanted to create TD's...it took me about 15-20 minutes to create, just created some few towers, made them upgradeable, added a frost tower, 7 levels...and thats it! Actually many people also gave me feedback, if I got any updates for it...And i was like "r u joking me?<3"..

ugh now comes a debate?
It is a forum? isnt it?;)

hero arena's seem kinda easy
Yes, it seems... but it is not, unless you are just creating a basic hero arena like Angel Arena (that does not contain any great/hard/advanced features..), maybe then, a hero arena will be in the same line as creating a Cube/Maul TD (basic TD) when it comes to how hard it is to create such a map...

Yes, these are my opinions feel free to "strike back" ;) <3

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
What i like is that everone debates in a civilized manner :D lol

anyway, maybe the "easy-hard-ness" comes with the special features.
If you are making a TD with 10 leevels, you can make it really easy. Just have about 5 or less towers, start with 1 unit, copy and paste and just change model, name, and hp. All you can do is make the pathing a straight line, and viola! DONE. But if yuo want to make it more... "sophisticated" you can added combinations of towers, abilities to wave units, bosses, special bonuses, etc.

Same with a hero arena, you can just make a square,circle, or a shape, 1 or 2 bases, revive heroes/creeps. DONE (Well you have to make the hero selection, maybe a few items, and duels, but that's easy)

How i started is just opening maps (back then in RoC most of them were unprotected) and learned off them.

As for things taking time, like dota, it's not true. DotA, imo is great, with recipes, effort, time, but many people say they ripped the spells, don't give credit, etc. But they have given a few years, more than ANY other map, of effort in making it better (adding items, heroes, balancing, etc.) Sure any other map can give support for a few years, but popularity (unless it's a really good map) will drop once the "final" version comes out. Take Tides of Blood, or AoM. Ever since their Final versions, their popularity dropped, or atleast "hosting frequency"

Tonks

Reaction score
It is not crap, even if it is short, with only levels and 20 towers...Have you ever played Cube Defense? Yes, the "first and only" TD that was ever created on planet earth? It had/has 20 levels 6 towers and some few upgrades on each tower (the first versions that were released). One of THE best TD's ever made. And so so so easy to create... The worst part were like creating regions for where to order the units to move...

It wasn't the first. It was about the 8th ripoff of Tower Defense. Unlike you, I was playing Wc3 during the beta's, and well after. Unlike you, I saw many maps come and go (and some stayed, like Sheep Tag).

It wasn't the best.

It was very good. It was ruined by 'updates' where people added in 'better features.'

My point was, it's not easy to create a good TD. Cube D looks incredibly simple, but that's because it was done well. It's well balanced, well pathed, and well triggered. It took over 2 months to create.

Squll2

je'ne sais pas
Reaction score
im not gonna quote your whole thing manytimes, but wow you tottally flamed him LOL.

anyway my opinion is to start with a simple td that does NOT require so much balancing and everything i mean can u fairly say that your first map was completely balanced and un imba? personally my first map i liked making heaps of things imba!! it was funny! =O but only my friends and me played it :p

anyway start with a TD because u can learn so many things from it, well i did :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.