Health Father regains sight thanks to son's tooth

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A man blinded in an industrial explosion has regained partial sight after his son’s tooth was lodged into one of his eyes in a groundbreaking operation.

Robert McNichol, 57, from Co Sligo, suffered the horrific injury during an accident at his waste recycling business two years ago.

Doctors at University College Hospital Galway told him there was nothing they could do but, refusing to be deterred, he found an expert in the UK performing pioneering surgery.

Known as 00KP, it treats severe cases of blindness by using a tooth to hold in place a man-made lens in the eye socket.

Mr McNichol’s son Robert Jnr, 23, volunteered one of his teeth when he heard about the revolutionary procedure.

------------------------------

Woah. Incredible.

Last edited by a moderator:

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
To be honest this sounds like an april fools joke.. I can't even conceive a ridiculous theory as to how this works, let alone one that sounds plausible.

Lunarios

Reaction score
Why they have to use a tooth I cannot imagine. The procedure uses the tooth as... casing... for the lens. Why a tooth? Everything else makes moderate sense.

ShadowTek

Reaction score
Why they have to use a tooth I cannot imagine. The procedure uses the tooth as... casing... for the lens. Why a tooth? Everything else makes moderate sense.

The only reason that I could think of would be that it is a natural substance that the body may not tend to reject, yet strong enough to last for a long time.

But this sounds a little nutty, and I couldn't find anything else out there to verify this procedure, so I'm not takin much stock in it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.