Feedback on Melee map

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
Hi.

I've created a melee map.
The only reason I did so was because my friend wanted a map with lots of resources. So I quickly whipped something up, and became quite fond of it.

Now I would like some feedback on the map.
-Is it a good melee map (except for the fact that it has nearly unlimited resources.)
-Would it be possible to play this map in a real tournament, if the resources were changed?
-Other ideas and constructive criticism?

Download file:
http://www.filefront.com/17522775/Peanut.SC2Map

(I named the map "Peanut", because my original idea was to make it look like a peanut. It doesn't.)

EDIT: Overview of the map:
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/7972/terrain001g.jpg

EDIT #2: The "trench" around the map is for water. I had water hidden during the screenshot.

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
-It's waaaay too small, the teams are crazy close together.
-Where are the expos?!?! Even if the starting mineral fields are unlimited, the workers won't be able to mine them faster! That's pretty much killing the macro side of the game. I didn't check the >4 player maps of Blizzard, but even those should have at least 2 expos per player I think.
-The rectangle form of your island is unnatural and ugly.
-Why did you place those sight blockers on top of the ramp? oO If you're standing on low gorund you can't see up the ramp anyway and if you stand on the high ground you have the watch tower so you can see past the sight blockers... Do not get.
-The starting area is too small, not enough room to build.
-No ramps nearby/the starting locations are not on high ground. With that raised cliff in the middle you have a choke point that's impossible to block (not sure if that was intentional).

s3rius

Linux is only free if your time is worthless.
Reaction score
In addition to what 2-P said I don't like the paths.

There is basically only one way to get to the other side on foot, right through the middle.
Even Twilight Fortress has more room to maneuver.

The map feels flat since the only cliffs are in the middle, and even there the straight cliffs make it look very unnatural.

I wouldn't even say that it's too small, but the straight paths you can take to reach your destination really messes with it.

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
It kind of feels too divided. It's like you always know where the enemy is(on the other side of the watch tower. It would also look a lot better if you made it less squareish. Maybe it looks better in-game? I only looked at the picture.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.