Feedback Wanted

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Model Feedback Wanted

Here is a new model / skin.

I have since lightened and shaded it more, but since its such work getting it out of the exporter, here is what I do have to show you.

If you see anything that does or doesn't apeal to you, please comment.

Attachments

• mech3.jpg
    mech3.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 277

Mind

Reaction score
Re: Model Feedback Wanted

Originally posted by SD_Ryoko
If you see anything that does or doesn't apeal to you, please comment.

The only unappealing detail concerning your model is that it is humiliatingly magnificent.

Ever thought of working for Blizzard?

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Very nice.

No offense, but don't work for Blizzard, I bet one of their artists can work ten times faster and make lesser but still good-looking models.

But you are better than me. :D

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I updated the image. This is latest.

I thought about that Rinpun. But then I thought, there are probobly teams.

A Modeler, a Skinner, and an Animator. Two of which, I would LOVE to have.

That little guy took 2 hours to whip up while looking at a picture of the lotus mech (mine is not exactly like theirs, just the basic set up) But to skin it? A day. To animate it? Nearly impossible.

Setting multple values for each bone (7) ONE at a time, to make this thing walk? Rediculous.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
I'm not oging to praise you Ryoko, as you already know that these are magnificent models, but I'll critique it. First off, on the first model it does look a little wimpy for a robot. I suggest maybe adding little rocket launchers on his legs or on his head. That's the only thing I see wrong witht hat one. For the second one, you need to beef him up as well. He look s alittle to skinny for a robot and need maybe anoher machine gun or rocket laucher or even make his machine guns bigger.

Hehe, cookie is a phenominal modeller, but have you ever seen Miseracord's work? His models have a very good fantasy look to them. His Arthas cinema as the second rated model is very good, and his Deimos is my favorite model. But I ramble about my modelling god, Miseracord.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
I updated the image. This is latest.

I thought about that Rinpun. But then I thought, there are probobly teams.

A Modeler, a Skinner, and an Animator. Two of which, I would LOVE to have.

That little guy took 2 hours to whip up while looking at a picture of the lotus mech (mine is not exactly like theirs, just the basic set up) But to skin it? A day. To animate it? Nearly impossible.

Setting multple values for each bone (7) ONE at a time, to make this thing walk? Rediculous.

That's why my first game, to join one of these companies in about four-six years, will be created in Lightwave. It has a ridiculously "easy" system of boning and IK, but you have to not grow bored of tediousness. I can rig anything in an hour or two--you just have to create a weight map for every joint/section of body in question. And THAT, is the tedious part. Skeleton making is fun.

I can't imagine how painful it has to be in 3dsmax/gmax as their rotating stinks. With a mouse click, I can rotate the object in the Modeler perfectly. And with a keyboard tap, I can move parts around very fast. The only problem is, since Lightwave has a separate Modeler (modeling and Skelegons, which are converted into a complete skeleton in Layout via a very simple click of the mouse) and Layout (which does the rendering), animation is time consuming to set up. It is, however, very nice to see an avi of a man swinging his sword rather ineffectively and pathetically, but it's great to know you can do at least a hundred times more than another person your own age, who's too busying learning the AIM slang to learn to run a complex graphics program :D

And I also feel for you, since my Lightwave pack costed 300$ for an educational version. With 1000$, I can buy the version with the extensive plugins and the legal ability to sell the game. The Educational version doesn't do crap like Maya, which puts their name all over the rendering, but rather doesn't offer you as much as the "Real" product. It is, unfortunately, costful, unlike the Maya educational, which is free or cheap. I forgot which :p

3dsmax can't do garbage at the start either--you have to buy 3000$ worth of plugins to create successful games like Blizzard does. Blizzard, however, has a limitless budget, since they work for the multi-billionaire Microsoft, so they can do whatever the heck they please to get a nice game done. Same as Bungie.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Blizzard is a partner of Microsoft? Wow. that's surprising. If they are, then why the hell do you have to pay so much money to World of Warcraft? They claim to be using that money to pay for Game Masters, new features, and other stuff for World of Warcraft but if they're working with Microsoft, then they shouldn't have to. Hehe, I wonder how much Microsoft is worth as BIll Gates, the owner of Microsoft has over 90 billion dollars.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
Blizzard, however, has a limitless budget, since they work for the multi-billionaire Microsoft, so they can do whatever the heck they please to get a nice game done.

Blizzard is owned by Vivendi Universal, an international entertainment corporation.

http://www.vugames.com/

Vivendi considered selling Blizzard off to either Microsoft or EA Games last year, but it appears they have decided against that.

C

Cyclical

Vivendi considered selling Blizzard off to either Microsoft or EA Games last year, but it appears they have decided against that.

Bloody smart choice of them, too, though all of Blizzard's best guys still left the company. I can't think of a single other Vivendi game I play. (I bought War of the Ring out of the bargain bin, but it ate my computer.)

The model, Ryoko, is superb. Useful? Not to me; if I want to play Mech Commander, I just switch CDs. But it looks great, and you're making great strides in helping WC3 to become "The only game you'll ever need to buy".

Cos once you do, you can rest assured that people have modded it to look like every other game on the market! Blizzard made an ingenious stroke with that.

[EDIT] Aah! A Nova! You're making a... well... not quite a Nova, but something like it! Aaaah, that sure does bring back memories.

How hard is it to animate something if the bone values are already defined - like adding an animation to an existing game model?

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cyclical
How hard is it to animate something if the bone values are already defined - like adding an animation to an existing game model?
Depends on what for.

Once you export an MDX from 3DS, thats it. The import script strips it of its bones and anims, so its VERY difficult to open a blizzard model, and add animations to it.

BONES are not the real problem, there cool to draw and get in place. Its watching your roomate walk in slow motion to see how the bones are REALLY supposed to move, and why your model looks gay :(

Heh. Methinks, because of the little guys legs, he'll have a hard time walking like the rest of the world. Wonder why Fasa never thought of that.

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
:)

I also found out my native cad software can take parametric, b-spline and 3d surfaces, and create polygons for DXF. You can also adjust the tolerances, displacement, and maxiumum angle too.

This opens many possibilities. The little gray lotus for example, was created in this method. It makes for GREAT contours.

Attachments

• nurbs.jpg
    nurbs.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 237
B

bobthefunny

Don't want to come off as anal or anything, but didn't you just make a forum for this? =D

Though I do have to admit, those look freakin awesome, and if you had put them into the other forum, I'd never have seen it.

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I know there are not many modelers here at all, but if anyone can answer ONE of these questions, it would be one step closer to completing something.
----------------------------------------------------------------

I made the Stand - 1 animation. From 0 to 6000.

Then for the BONES THAT MOVE I set keys at 0, and keys at 6000. Both keys are with the bones at HOME position.

Then I tweaked them around in the middle areas, the way i want him to move.

GREAT! Thanks for telling me I can just rotate them with the cursor. Man, so much easier.

Now, I add a new key 7000-10000.

No matter what I do, moving the bones during 7000-10000 slightly shifts them all in the FIRST animation. Like points on a spline effect its curvature, this effects the stroke of my previous anim.

So I tried creating keys for them all again at 7000, in HOME position.

Didn't help. Still subtle shifts all OVER the place.

SUMARY: Why is my second animations even effecting the first? Especially since in between animations, the bones have keys at home position?

(Snifff... walk little dude....walk!)

PETTY Q'S
-How long are typical walk, attack, spell & death animations? (frames or seconds)
-Some animations loop, some don't. Can I control that?
-Can I add non standard animations, like 'Off' and 'Fly'? Can you play them with triggers or will WC3 ignore them?
-Should 'Walk' animation start mid stroke, and end mid stroke? or start at home position? How many steps should a 'Walk' animation take? One full step cycle? or two?

L

Lance1

and how are you making these Beautiful peices of art here...
i like very much good job on that you could make your own business for christ sake name it after yourself and make billions ... k i might be over ... thinking but w/e you never know ... good job

B

bobthefunny

-No we didn't make that forum, were just discussing the idea.

-True. My only fear is that threads in a new forum would be ignored and overlooked.

It's just that I can't model, and right now, my main priority is to get my map to work. Making it spiffy comes second (though I've been cheating a bit), and as I'm new at this, making it work will take a while.

Until then..... yeah

Also, I was kinda tired when I posted that, so sorry for being nitpicky

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.