Fire / Photoshop / Icon

CysticCraze

Reaction score
Ok so im making icons, freehand, just to get some concepts straight, and I noticed fire is common in alot of icons so I decided Id try and do some fire. Anyhows, its crap(Below). And Id like suggestions on what would make (this specific) image look more like fire, is it red color, formation, or all of it? This is more of a personal opinion so rip my painting apart and tell me what makes it so aweful and the reason it DOESNT look like fire. (hopefully some good photoshop"ists" will give me some pointers for freehanding this sorta thing, but all suggestions are welcomed.) +rep to those comments that make coherent sense =D

Fireunfinished.jpg

Ive done fire like this (behind the bird).

Phenix.jpg

But I think i used filters and that doesnt really make it freehand.

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
Looks more like a river of honey seen from a bird's eye view, actually. Needs more sudden spikes and red... Fire is unpredictable!

Kazuga

Let the game begin...
Reaction score
Agree with Azlier.

A tip for a good tutorial for creating fire in photoshop would be this one. Even though it's more for text etc it works great for other objects too.

CysticCraze

Reaction score
ConceptFire1.jpg

ConceptFire2.jpg

ConceptFire3.jpg

Which one of these look the best? And do any of them look like fire?

Crap sorry double post.

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
I wouldn't say its fire, but I suppose they make decent magma icons :p.

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
I suggest looking at the Rain of Fire icon. It's a good point of reference.

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
Fire needs to be a little more crazy then that, it's shape is always changing. Also, I find it's best to start the base of the fire with black (the fires origin and where the smoke would be coming from) moving up to lighter highlights at the top. Also giving it sharp edges doesn't look too fiery, it needs to blur a little into the background to give the effect it is semi-transparent. I quickly redrew your concept to give you an idea -

fireconmr6.png

CysticCraze

Reaction score
Dude, sweet. Thats entirley freehand or did you use i-warp or liquify?

I attempted it but didnt spend more than 3 mins, dont have the time right now.

Flame1.jpg

Didnt really spend time on making it transparent or makign the edges more blured.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.