Sci/Tech First true invisibility cloak created

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The world's first true invisibility cloak – a device able to hide an object in the visible spectrum – has been created by physicists in the US. But don't expect it to compete with stage magic tricks. So far it only works in two dimensions and on a tiny scale.

The new cloak, which is just 10 micrometres in diameter, guides rays of light around an object inside and releases them on the other side. The light waves appear to have moved in a straight line, so the cloak – and any object inside – appear invisible.

The cloak was built by a team led by Igor Smolyaninov at the University of Maryland, and borrows some ideas from the first theoretical design for an invisibility cloak, published by Vladimir Shalaev from Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, US, earlier this year.

Last edited:

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
Only works in 2 dimensions? The means people can see through from top?

But that's quite an awesome creation...In future, everyone will be invi LoL

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
Think if all the murders got invisible. The world would be in chaos, everybody going around invisible murdering everybody who didn’t get one fast enough. Personally, I think invisibility would be a bad thing, not a good thing (Not just because of what I said above) it would be cool but....What’s the use of it? Making it invisible wont make it go away. Cool. I made all the junk invisible before I though it in the sea. Its still there, though.

I suppose it wouldn’t be that bad of a thing, but there’s no real use for it....Its still cool though.

Berserk

Reaction score
yes indeed it would be cool.. but it could have some bad uses.. as pretty much everything.

H34DhUnT3r

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
as pretty much everything

exactly.. i mean if we stop producing everything which has a bad side we won't be making anything..

True.. invisibility is cool, but pointless and so it's best if we stop the research of it (IMO)

Greetings,
H34DhUnt3r[NL]

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
Lol, technically we are the terran xD

We just haven't expanded our technology to go through space (as in to actually GET somewhere).

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Just found this article on a game where you had to shoot Digg Articles o_O.. had no idea it was recent!

Awesome stuff :D.

Aqua Dragon

I'm made of water. Remember that now.
Reaction score
The only use that I can think of for an invisible cloak is for perverts and war :nuts:

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
I think the US will keep it to them only... and the military will only be able use them

Sigh... Now I will never know what it will be like to be in ghost in the shell

Darkchaoself

What is this i dont even
Reaction score
If the world was clean of bad people like murderers and perverts, this could of been done long ago.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
"ATTENTION! WE HAVE JUST INVENTED NUCLEAR ENERGY! THIS STUFF IS REALLY POWERFUL! IT COULD KILL LOTS OF PEOPLE IF HANDLED INCORRECTLY! ISN'T THAT GREAT?!"
"Cool," Replies the public.

Lord_Kakashi

The Wabbits are attacking
Reaction score
Think if all the murders got invisible. The world would be in chaos, everybody going around invisible murdering everybody who didn’t get one fast enough.

Murders wouldn't have much use of it as they indeed still emit body heat. As the device supposedly redirects rays of light, they would still appear visible on a heat spectrum.

Also.. Why would you want to murder everyone. That's just senseless. You don't even profit from it in any thinkable way.

The only use that I can think of for an invisible cloak is for perverts and war :nuts:
How about securing personal privacy? An example would be that you live by a trafficked public road with many people passing by your living room window, peering in at what you are doing.
But not to worry, at a flick of a contact a screen activates and the window just shows what's on the opposite side of your house, or doesn't show at all.
Of course this would prevent light from coming in through the window, but it would allow privacy while turned on.

Yet again. You already have a simple effective drape for this purpose :p

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Meh. It's easy to point out the flaws something has but it's hard to point out the benefits of it.

While it may only be of any benefit to the military, It could mean that wars are averted before any real disaster happens, mentioning no examples.

True.. invisibility is cool, but pointless and so it's best if we stop the research of it (IMO)

Stop research of it? Doesn't matter how pointless it is, it could lead to greater developments, though admittedly, it's hard to think of something for invisibility.
But research should never be shut down just 'cos something seems pointless.

My two cents.

Berserk

Reaction score
you are right. even if it proves to be useless it should be created (that it could be used to 3d objects) so that the technology would get better, leading to greater inventions.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Maybe, through invisibility, we can make transperacy :p (maybe not but yeah...)
and it would be good/scary for army use. Then they could find a way to detect invisible things/beings.

Lord_Kakashi

The Wabbits are attacking
Reaction score
How about using it as: Shop windows?..

Yup that's right.. instead of having a fragile transparent glass in the window.
Have a invisibility field enabling you to view through brick wall.

This would benefit shop owners with increased security as it would be harder to steal from their store and to break in :)

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice idea except they could already do that if they wanted. They could put big screen TVs and Video cameras on each side of the wall to accomplish the same thing. Of course they dont do that because glass is hella cheaper than TVs, or Invisibility Cloaks :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.