Follow up tar.gz files

PsychoMonkey

Sys4dm1n
Reaction score
Hello again

I reposted this cause I have a different question re: tar.gz files (plus the fact that I'm trying to get my post numbers up :D )

I understand how to use the "tar" command, but I guess the question I have now is how does it create a structure?

In windows (pardon me for mentioning it) when you use a .exe file, the executable copies necessary files to the correct directories and updates the registry with the correct registry values. But when using the tar.gz files, it just seems to extract the files/folders to the current directory (in my case /home/"user"/). Is it ok to leave the files in the /home/"user" directory or do they need to be moved after they're extracted?

Sorry if this is a very freshman question, but inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks

Logical_1

Advisor
Reaction score
As mentioned in the last thread, after extracting the files into whatever directory you're in by typing:

tar xzvf filename.tar.gz

You'll next need to

cd directory-created-after-extracting-files
./configure
make
make install

to put the files where they belong and make the program useful. If you have SSH access to the box locally, get me on MSN sometime and I can login to your computer and show you what to do and how it works. This is as close to an install procedure (albeit generic) as you're going to find for linux with tar.gz files.

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
you delete the source directory (where you perform the install), the installed program is in its designated folder (again, read the readme)

/opt/kde for KDE
/usr/local/ for Mozilla and friends

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.