FreeType and SDL_ttf

Embrace_It

Reaction score
I am making a C++ gameframework for SDL. Inside are a bunch of classes. The CText class uses TTF. or at least, it is supposed to. I have correctly installed the library, but no text is showing. Then I discovered that FreeType is required.

I don't know how to do this however. I assume the headers should go the SDL/include and the .lib files into SDL/libs, but there are so many headers (and headers inside subfolders) that I don't want to do anything until someone has guided me a bit.

Lazyfoo's tuts originally helped me install SDL_ttf, so I think I'll check my version of SDL and upgrade it if need be. Thanks! :)

I'll get back to you in a while.

Lazyfoo's tuts originally helped me install SDL_ttf, so I think I'll check my version of SDL and upgrade it if need be. Thanks! :)

I'll get back to you in a while.

Your welcome.
If you have the right version and it is still not working you could post a little example code of what you are trying to do :)
Or at least post the part you think is causing the trouble :)

Are you using the correct linker?

My version of SDL is 1.2.13, so FreeType should not be the problem.

I think I have to review my code before posting it. I'll probably post it tomorrow.

Please elaborate on your question regarding linker (I'm still learning IDE's). If you are referring to my Linker Settings:

Code:
mingw32
SDLmain
SDL_image
SDL_ttf
SDL

That is exactly what I was reffering to when I talked about linkers, and everything seems to be in order there:)
Then it has to be the code. I will take a look at it when you have posted it.

Some things you could keep in mind when you are looking thru your code:
Have you initialized SDL_ttf?
Do you have all things nessecary to print your?
Are you printing it at the right time?

And also, please post your error messages if you are getting any, they do help as well;)

I never cease to amaze myself with my stupid mistakes, and even so, I learn.

The problem was, that in my CGameEngine.h declaration file I wrote:

Code:
SDL_Surface* Msg;

And in GameEngine::Init, I wrote:

Code:
SDL_Surface* Msg = txt.RenderText("Press 'S' to start/stop the animation", color, solid);

Thus, I am declaring a new SDL_Surface pointer called Msg, and not storing the surface in the already declared one. I noticed an error message I accidentally overlooked stating: "unused variable 'Msg'" which explains the above. It works like a charm now :D

Thanks a lot for your always helpful guidance, Samael88! :thup: +rep

Onwards to my Pong Clone and to INFINITY!!!

Good you found the problem:thup:

Those are probably the most ususal misstakes when programming:p

Thanks for the rep and good luck with your pong clone:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    News portal has been retired. Main page of site goes to Headline News forum now
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am working on getting access to the old news portal under a different URL for those that would rather use that for news before we get a different news view.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Easily done
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    https://www.thehelper.net/pages/news/ is a link to the old news portal - i will integrate it into the interface somewhere when i figure it out
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Need to try something
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hopefully this won't cause problems.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hmm
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I have converted the Headline News forum to an Article type forum. It will now show the top 20 threads with more detail of each thread.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    See how we like that.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do not see a way to go past the 1st page of posts on the forum though
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is OK though for the main page to open up on the forum in the view it was before. As long as the portal has its own URL so it can be viewed that way I do want to try it as a regular forum view for a while
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the pagination.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    It SHOULD be there so I think it might just be an artifact of having an older style.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I switched it to a "Standard" article forum. This will show the thread list like normal, but the threads themselves will have the first post set up above the rest of the "comments"
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I don't really get that article forum but I think it is because I have never really seen it used on a multi post thread
  • Ghan Ghan:
    RpNation makes more use of it right now as an example: https://www.rpnation.com/news/
  • The Helper The Helper:
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What do you think Tom?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I will have to get used to this.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    The latest news feed looks good

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.