Ghost Hunters

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score
TitleMini.jpg

GHOST HUNTER

THE BASICS

THE STORY
In a small city outside of Lordaeron, a convoy of ships arrived, carrying aboard a Noah's ark of lost souls and spirits, carelessly bound to the vessels and cast out to the sea. Some speculate that the ships from deep within the maelstrom itself, carrying aboard all the souls of those who died in the raging waters. Whatever happened is irrelevant, the souls left the ships and populated the town, haunting and killing countless people. A city block, containing the highest concentration of spirits, has been quarantined through powerful magic, and outside excorcists have been hired to silence the restless spirits, and to save whatever innocent spirits still linger in the area.

THE OBJECTIVE
Four players begin as the Hunters, and they are able to choose what Hunter they want to be before the game starts. The other eight players are ghosts, and they also get to choose their type of ghost, each with it's own set of abilities, strengths, and weaknesses. The Hunters have to kill every single ghost on the map, and have a time limit of 30 minutes. If all the ghosts are not killed by then, the Hunters forfeit the game. The Ghosts, on the other hand, have to either survive for 30 minutes, or kill every Hunter.

THE MECHANICS

SPIRITS
Everything possesses a spirit in this game; whenever a ghost is excorcised, or whenever a Hunter is killed, they release a spirit, or in the case of the Hunters, many spirits. A spirit can then be collected by the team that freed it, and provides benefits for the collector. For Ghosts, collecting a spirit will create a copy of the ghost that collected it, or, if another player has no ghosts, a ghost will be revived for him. When a Hunter collects a spirit, his power increases, and gives him access to his abilities. When a Hunter is killed, he drops one spirit for every hero level he has.

At the start, and at every minute, a neutral innocent spirit will appear somewhere on the map, and they can be freed by Hunters or consumed by Ghosts, and increases the power of whoever gets to them first.

DAY & NIGHT
This mission is not a quick one and is expected to take several days*, and both Hunters and Hunters need to take this into account. During the day, Ghosts are blinded, and can hardly see in front of them, making them vulnerable. The Hunters can see clearly during the day, and should use that to their advantage, and Hunt during the day.

However, at night, the tables are turned. The Hunters can barely see at night, while the Ghosts can see clearly, meaning that Ghosts should wait till night to attack the Hunters. Also, ghosts heal much faster at night. During this time, Hunters should team up and take the defensive to avoid being singled out.

VISIBILITY
Naturally, Ghosts are invisible. That is why Hunters with Extra-Sensory Perception are hunted; all Hunters can detect Ghosts when they are very near them, but not from a distance. To detect them without standing next to them, the Hunters rely on spells to see. Some create vision wards, some can use limited farsight, while some can upgrade their detection range. This makes it so much harder for the Hunters, as they can't simply follow ghosts on the map.

SIZE
Ghosts are smaller than Hunters by far, and are able to slip through small gaps between buildings and trees that Hunters cannot, making killing ghosts even harder.

ABILITIES & MANA
While Hunters have to free spirits in order to gain access to their abilities, Ghosts have access to their full arsenal of abilities from the start. However, Ghosts have very limited mana, and do not regenerate it naturally. They can recharge quickly by standing next to one of the mana pools, or by their own special recharge conditions. The Hunters regenerate mana at a rapid rate, giving them an edge over the ghosts in that regard.

NOBODY GETS LEFT OUT
I'm planning to implement a system that will prevent any player from sitting around and watching while others are playing; just because their last ghost was killed or whatever. If your last ghost is killed, or your hunter is killed, you will re-join the ghost's team next time a Ghost collects a spirit. Also, this feature can be deactivated, so if you want players to drop out, just enable it. I also plan to implement an AI system, so if a player leaves or disconnects, he will be replaced by a brutal AI system (again, you can set the difficulty :p)

THE GHOSTS ARE NOT OVERPOWERED
Although it may seem that the game is weighted in favour of the Hunters, seeming as they can't see their enemies, have so few companions, and don't get all their abilities straight away, one must realise what makes the Hunters much more powerful.
Hunters do not have to visit mana pools or meet any conditions to recharge mana, they regenerate it very quickly, making them able to use their abilities frequently. Also, the Hunters' abilities grow stronger over time, whereas the Ghost's abilities stay the same. Ghosts are smaller and much weaker than Hunters, and a group of 5 or more ghosts are needed to take down a low-level hunter. In a one-on-one fight between a ghost and a Hunter, the hunter will win hands down.

THE MAP:
The Map is a 96x96 Cityscape arena, which resembles a maze.

Maze.jpg

There are two mana pools at the top-right and bottom-left corners of the map. Both Ghosts and Hunters can recharge mana from the pools, although keeping them secure will not be easy...

MazeExplained.jpg

At the top-left is where the Hunters enter the game, and is also known as the corridor of death, since once someone is cornered in it, it's game over for them. Through the center of the map is a canal, which feeds off to either side of mana pools. These canals are impassable by most ground units, although some are able to bypass this rule.

Ideally, the Hunters want to control the mana pools, as it's the fastest method of recharging for the Ghosts. Their natural methods are extremely slow, so this would give the Hunters an advantage. The Ghosts are more flexible and mobile than the Hunters, and should use harassing and hit-and-run tactics to kill them or evade, making use of the maze-like structure, as well as the narrow gaps and their own mobility spells to gain the upper hand.

PROGRESS:

As of right now, this game is about 40-50% done.
  • Terraining: 100%
  • Triggering: 90%
  • Units: 50%
  • Abilities: 80%
  • Polish: 30%
  • Balance: 0%

I plan to take as long as it needs to (remind you of something ;)) in order to achieve the highest level of polish and balance possible.

This map is really about stretching my limits, and exploring the possibilies of JASS coding in creating great and unique spells. This is just an exploration of new techniques, although I'm sure this game will be very popular when I'm done :D

ENQUIRIES, COMMENTS, IDEAS, ASSISTANCE:

Don't hesitate to post a reply leaving your comment or opinions of this project. If you think this idea sucks, tell me, and then suggest how I would improve it. I'm open to feedback of any kind. If you have any really good ideas, I'll consider them and possibly implement them (in which case you'll receive credit for concepts)

As with most of my projects, I'm flying solo, although I would greatly appreciate some part-time JASS assistants that could check my coding or give me a hand when I need it. If you really really want to help me out somehow, uhm... just PM me and I'll find something I can use you for... but I prefer to work alone.

Actually, I am looking for a good AI programmer. I need an evil hero AI system, one that measures up it's odds and strategically targets units, and the same for the Ghosts.

IF YOU DIDN'T READ ANY OF THE ABOVE:

I sympathize. This is a flippin essay. But it's a good essay...

jwallstone

Reaction score
Wow, this sounds very good! I like maps like this that are innovative.

One question regarding balance: What is to prevent Hunters from simply camping out at the mana wells?

LurkerAspect

Reaction score
One question regarding balance: What is to prevent Hunters from simply camping out at the mana wells?

Time limit :D

No seriously, if the Hunters camp the mana wells, it allows the ghosts to collect all the neutral spirit that appear everywhere else, and everytime a ghost collects a spirit, it creates an identical copy, and a neutral spirit is created every 60 seconds, plus a few at the beginning.

If the heroes camp, they could be facing an army of ghosts!

EDIT: Anyway, I'm heading off now, I'll only be able to reply earliest tomorrow 10am (GMT+2)

prismpirate

Reaction score
Sounds good. Wouldn't the game go into a standstill if players keep switching sides when they die? More likely the ghosts will win then, when the timers run out

LurkerAspect

Reaction score
Sounds good. Wouldn't the game go into a standstill if players keep switching sides when they die? More likely the ghosts will win then, when the timers run out

I might have worded that part incorrectly, what I mean is that if a Ghost player loses his last Ghost, he will get another one next time a spirit is consumed. That way, he doesn't have to leave the game or sit around and watch.

If a Hunter is killed, then the next time a ghost consumes a spirit, the player who previously controlled a Hunter will be given a ghost, and will join the ghost's team.

This way, nobody has to leave or sit out :p

Ayanami

칼리
Reaction score
Hmm, the game looks interesting. If you need any help with the map, feel free to ask :thup:

LurkerAspect

Reaction score
Well, I could use some help with making an AI system for the Heroes.

If anyone knows how I could design a functional AI, or knows where any tutorials are, that would be great.

Rainther

I guess I should write something of value here...
Reaction score
Want do you wish the heroes to do? Roam around and use abilties upon enemies in sight?

You could probably without too much trigger make them hunt player's location where they were last spotted so that they would aid each other if one saw an enemy and then the others starts to run towards picked location. And you could of course make them run towards the closiest visible unit.

I must admit I haven't read all that you typed, so what I just wrote might be jibberish. :D

LurkerAspect

Reaction score
Nah, it helps. Ideally, my Hunters should be able to search for ghosts during the day, use their abilities on the best/weakest targets, or ghosts who try to run away (for specific 'trap' abilities), but should also be able to calculate when they face unfavourable odds, and run away. They should also team up and move as a group during night, and I'd like to give personalities to each Hero, which can be altered by player commands. For example, and aggressive hero, a Smart hero, a Camper hero, a Loner hero, etc.

The Ghosts need to do the opposite, they need to be able to run away, use their own abilities wisely, micro away when targetted (sounds tricky :D), and should be able to determine whether or not they should attack or fall back. Also, they need to move in groups at all times (unless they're running away), and move to a mana pool or other condition when their mana gets low. Also, they should have similar personalities to the Hunters (ie smart, aggressive, camper, loner, runner)

It sounds difficult, which is why I'd appreciate any starter tips or tutorials :p

Rainther

I guess I should write something of value here...
Reaction score
You seem to have many things though out already, which easens the process. :D

Might be able to help you with some of them, but I haven't experimented much with AI neither.

LurkerAspect

Reaction score
All I really need help with now is how to get AI units, even on different teams, to group together and move like a selection group. Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated!

jwallstone

Reaction score
If there are fewer than 12 units, then you can just actually add them to a unit group and isssue an order to the group. That will cause them to move together (moving with a single speed) and use formation ranks (melee in front, ranged behind) automatically.

LurkerAspect

Reaction score
Update:

The AI system is nearing completion. After that, only a few more Ghosts and Hunters need to be added, then polishing needs to be done, then finally, balancing.

Expect it by the end of the week :D

Dest

Reaction score
Very interesting concept. I like it very much, and might be fun. Also, isn't this topic in a wrong place?

Yoshii

Reaction score
interesting Iread the topic where you had trouble with ai; I dont like jass so I did not answer; I only answer GUI question as I'm almost always correct.

"IF YOU DIDN'T READ ANY OF THE ABOVE:

I sympathize. This is a flippin essay. But it's a good essay"

You got me the first time I clicked the thread.

also shoulnt this be in member project?

Joccaren

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Very interesting concept. I like it very much, and might be fun. Also, isn't this topic in a wrong place?

I agree with both parts of that. I'll be willing to help any way I can, I'm good at balancing (Just give me time if you want me to help balance, I'll test the map, see if one side is too powerful [based on what they should be per your descirptions], change them then retest until I get it right (Won't turn into this:
For each Loop Integer A from 1-infinite))

Anyway, happy to help anyway I can.
Note: Just thought of this, sounds kind of like a even till end tag game (Both teams are even until near the end of the game, instead of most tas where one team is stronger but doesn't level anywhere near as well as the other team)

Idea: Maybe, just for the extra 'GET IT DONE QUICKLY' element for the Hunters, make the last 5 minutes of the game night (Not sure how long your nights will usually last for but if its below five minutes, this could be a good idea) This will really make them need to hurry and give the ghosts, who really at the end will suck (Unless they got all the souls) a major advantage over the now very powerful hunters.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • WildTurkey WildTurkey:
    is there a stephen green in the house?
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up WildTurkey?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Looks like Google fixed whatever mistake that made the recipes on the site go crazy and we are no longer trending towards a recipe site lol - I don't care though because it motivated me to spend alot of time on the site improving it and at least now the content people are looking at is not stupid and embarrassing like it was when I first got back into this like 5 years ago.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Plus - I have a pretty bad ass recipe collection now! That section of the site is 10 thousand times better than it was before
  • The Helper The Helper:
    We now have a web designer at my job. A legit talented professional! I am going to get him to redesign the site theme. It is time.
  • Varine Varine:
    I got one more day of community service and then I'm free from this nonsense! I polished a cop car today for a funeral or something I guess
  • Varine Varine:
    They also were digging threw old shit at the sheriff's office and I tried to get them to give me the old electronic stuff, but they said no. They can't give it to people because they might use it to impersonate a cop or break into their network or some shit? idk but it was a shame to see them take a whole bunch of radios and shit to get shredded and landfilled
  • The Helper The Helper:
    whatever at least you are free
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.