Technology Google to Release Open-Source 'Chrome' Browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Are Internet Explorer and Firefox ready to do battle with Chrome?

Google announced Monday that it has been hard at work on an open-source browser known as Chrome, a beta version of which will be released in 100 countries on Tuesday.

New features will included "isolated" tabs designed to prevent browser crashes and a more powerful JavaScript engine.

"Why are we launching Google Chrome? Because we believe we can add value for users and, at the same time, help drive innovation on the web," Sundar Pichai, vice president of product management, and Linus Upson, Google engineering director, wrote in a blog post.

Comic book about Chrome, by Google.
Discuss here.

Hmm, haven't even heard of this before today, can't wait to try it out, should be awesome just like everything else Google makes. :]

Last edited by a moderator:

FireBladesX

Eating my wings!
Reaction score
Chances are that no matter whatever anyone's done, ever, Google can beat it. So, I'm betting that it will destroy destroy FireFox and Explorer. Just another rung on the ladder to Google's world domination :p

sqrage

Reaction score
They really don't wanna destroy Firefox though, since it has lead to so many innovations in web browsers. They said themselves that they are making this browser so that more innovation and evolution/revolutions happen in browsers.

And to bad this up, they renewed their deal in which they give money for Mozilla.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
That was the worst comic book EVER!!!!

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
I can't wait for the Google Operating system. :p

I read the page (long, interesting, and informative, by the way!), and it looks like google has some excellent ideas. I can't wait to download it and use it! :)

I love their philosophy about why they're making it open source. They learned from other browsers, so they're giving the ideas back. Somewhat related, I hate how Firefox came up with Tabs, and then Internet Explorer put it into theirs, with not much mention to Firefox.

redmarine

Reaction score
I can't wait for the Google Operating system. :p

I read the page (long, interesting, and informative, by the way!), and it looks like google has some excellent ideas. I can't wait to download it and use it! :)

I love their philosophy about why they're making it open source. They learned from other browsers, so they're giving the ideas back. Somewhat related, I hate how Firefox came up with Tabs, and then Internet Explorer put it into theirs, with not much mention to Firefox.

I think they are going to make the browser an OP in time. Operative systems are becoming more and more irrelevant.

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
I hate how Firefox came up with Tabs, and then Internet Explorer put it into theirs, with not much mention to Firefox.
I don't think Firefox was first with tabs either.

I think the most interesting thing with this is how they do their browser testing, making that (more) public accessible would make a much bigger difference than "just" releasing another free browser.

Lunarios

Reaction score
What I would like most is a hybrid of Chrome and Firefox- both have good features, and I like the Firefox logo more.

sqrage

Reaction score
Wow, I'm using it now and all I have to say is Goodbye Firefox. :(
I'll miss Firefox though....

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow... Google Crome browser is amazing :eek:

I agree with sqrage, "Good bye Firefox". Apart from I will still need Firefox sometimes for the addons.

sqrage

Reaction score
Anyone found out how to get the Java plugin working for Chrome?

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.