Guardian Shield Protect from Structure units only

Bigrocks

Reaction score
I am trying to alter the guardian shield so that it protects from damaging structures like photon cannons but not from units. So far I only see how to toggle on and off things like meelee and ranged damage. I also saw how to make it protect selected unit types, but not to only protect FROM certain unit types.

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
I think it would be pretty hard to do. Ranged attacks launch a missile that's a seperate unit and no real information about the caster is saved in the missile itself that I can think of.

One way to do it would be to give all the missiles fired from buildings a certain attribute and then check for it in the guardian shield behavior's target filter. I don't know if this will work though.

Maybe you could do some smart validator somehow.

I am sorry if it's not much to go on, but I am not sure this is possible.

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
I have also looked into this and have come to the same conclusion as Siretu. The problem is that there doesn't seem to be a way to retrieve the attacker's information while the location property is set to defender for the damage response. As such, you cannot determine if the attacking unit is a structure. I have also looked into using validators and while it is possible to check if a unit is a structure using a validator, you are still unable to retrieve the attackers information.

Xeno Yoxa

Reaction score
i know im new to the forum but have you tried using triggers? edited: i know i couldn't do it but maybe you could...

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
The problem with using a trigger only based solution is that you need to detect the damage before the damage actually occurs (otherwise you will have problems where units may be killed by damage that should have been absorbed by the shield). However you may be able to use both data and triggers to achieve the desired effect. You could make a buff with a damage response that absorbs all damage and have a trigger which checks if the damage came from a structure, and if it didn't, deal the damage to the unit. The only issue would be trying to correctly determine the amount of damage dealt.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.